no fiberglass sousaphones in marching bands anymore Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

no fiberglass sousaphones in marching bands anymore

Postby bloke » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:34 am

Is this because of the "don't wear white after Labor Day" thing...??
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: no fiberglass sousaphones in marching bands anymore

Postby KiltieTuba » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:53 am

Probably due to all the hate fiberglass gets on TubeNet and Facebook.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 am

Five-year-old-and-older "silver" sousaphones tend to be grey, black, and brown.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:08 pm

They used to come in Blue!!

But I think California banned them, and the rest of the country soon followed.

Like raw eggs.

:tuba:
Who needs four valves??
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby iiipopes » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:25 pm

The real reason: they aren't fiberglass anymore. The bells are plastic or resin. Truth in advertising.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby Casca Grossa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:26 pm

The older I get, the more I wish for fiberglass sousaphones, tubas, or any other weighty brass instrument.
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
3 valves
3 valves

Postby ken k » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:18 am

received this email today...
Greetings Educator,
We regret to inform you that we have discontinued our current line of fiberglass sousaphones, including the 36K, 36KW, 36KSP, 36KSPW, 2360W, 2360SPW, 2370, and 2370W models. We are also canceling all outstanding orders for any of these models. As you may be aware, we have had a series of unexpected and significant issues sourcing the fiberglass required to support this product line. These issues include our original supplier ceasing the production of fiberglass and the unsuccessful attempt to validate two alternative suppliers capable of meeting our quality and delivery standards. This announcement is difficult to deliver and we apologize for being unable to meet your needs; as well as the tremendous inconvenience this may cause for your programs.
Although we will no longer be manufacturing fiberglass sousaphones, we have brass models, both in lacquer and silver plate, under the legendary line of C.G. Conn and King. These American-manufactured products date back to the 1900's and have unmatched durability and versatility for the needs of our students, professionals, and universities. To view our current line of sousaphone products CLICK HERE.
Please know that providing the highest quality instrument and customer service experience is our top priority. We are here to answer any additional questions you may have and happy to talk through viable options for your next sousaphone purchase.
Sincerely,
John M. Stoner, Jr.
CEO & President
Conn-Selmer, Inc
Miraphone Norwegian Stsar Eb tuba
B&H Imperial Eb tuba
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
1990 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
2001 Mazda Miata
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Postby UncleBeer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:35 am

They're claiming no-one can provide them with fiberglass? :roll:
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Mark Finley » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:46 am

Easy, get cool winds to make the bodies, use the already existing valve sets. Problem solved
Formerly 58Mark
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby Wyvern » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 am

UncleBeer wrote:They're claiming no-one can provide them with fiberglass? :roll:

I will have to prove them wrong by adding fibreglass sousaphone to Wessex Tubas range 8)
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Mark Finley » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:10 am

I was about to say, Schiller offers a fiberglass Sousaphone, so someone has the ability to make them

Yamaha and jupiter offer them as well, but in not sure if they make them themselves
Formerly 58Mark
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby windshieldbug » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 am

Conn fiberglass Sousaphones are now considered "Vintage" instruments!? :shock:
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Postby bloke » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:09 am

no proof, obviously, but I suspect b.s.

I would expect that the real reason is that the market has greatly shrunk, because most band directors want SILVER :shock: sousaphones...

...which means (after four or five years), badly dented, gray, black, and (numerous repaired solder joints and wear) brown.
bloke

Postby toobagrowl » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm

So Conn-Selmer is dropping fiberglass sousas from their list? Well damn. Obviously because of lack of demand.

I recently played my old Selmer Signet sousa. Plays very well and is LIGHT :!:
It was (of course) an old school horn I bought/rescued some years ago. Fixed it up (epoxy, spray paint, laqcuer) bought new neck & bits for it and new bell screws. The pistons and slides are still in good condition with good compression; with only minimal denting on the upper 3rd slide loops. That valveset is made of thick metal.
It's kinda weird/funny that this white fiberglass sousa makes such a dark, haunting sound. Sometimes I'd think a ghost would come float out of the bell :lol: :P :tuba:
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Will Jones » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:56 pm

In the AF ceremonial brass we used fiberglass (except for televised gigs), and our folks still had back issues. I carried a 3 valve yamaha euphonium.

We were old enough to know better.

I don't think high school band directors always realize the physical harm they are causing students when they make them carry the heaviest equipment on one shoulder day in and day out. And those kids certainly don't realize that the difference in sound is nominal and will macho it out for the sake of the group.

I'm not talking about risk of harm. I think the harm is inevitable, it just happens at different times for different folks.
Will Jones
bugler
bugler

Postby lost » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:20 am

Regardless of heavy or light, and brass or fiberglass arguments which seem valid even though its the nature of the instrument....the cost of new fiberglass sousas is some funny number like 6xxx.00 vs a second hand one for 6xx.00. Seriously?

The depreciation value for fiberglass sousas make it one of the worst new purchasing buys. Maybe that is why they may not be selling since it makes more economical sense to buy second hand with school fundraising cash then use the district purchasing system and your yearly budget.
lost

Postby bloke » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:44 am

58mark wrote:I was about to say, Schiller offers a fiberglass Sousaphone, so someone has the ability to make them

Yamaha and jupiter offer them as well, but in not sure if they make them themselves

Jupiter break off in chunks when badly-damaged, and are QUITE heavy. These things make me wonder if they are actually fiberglass, or if they are some sort of resin.
bloke

Postby bloke » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:55 am

When someone requests a fiberglass sousaphone, I never seem to encounter any problem rounding them up - and - nearly always - all the same brand.
Last year, I sold a private school three fiberglass King sousaphone, as they had already purchased one of them from me.
It's just not that difficult to repaint the bodies and bells...and today, there are some aerosol paints (if chosen carefully) which hold up for years and years.
When I have time to fill such requests, I give people the choice of "cleaned up", "cleaned up and white repainted", "cleaned up, white repainted, dents removed, and valve section brass-color enameled and clear-coated...ref: the old Selmer USA sousaphones", or "cleaned up, white repainted, dents removed, and valve section stripped, buffed, and re-lacquered".
I avoid selling vintage Olds/Reynolds fiberglass sousaphones to schools, because old ones of those (all of them: pre-1980) seem to be a bit brittle, and their attaching systems are delicate (i.e. OK for adult-use, but not school use).
I "like" Japanese/Taiwanese fiberglass sousaphones about as well as I "like" their other sousaphones. :|

They don't seem to be popular, but are my ideal. The best of them still have a slight odd "after-sound", but that "after-sound" is less annoying to me that the brass bells' "after-ring". (If anyone's "concert" tuba rung like a brass sousaphone bell rings, that person would be complaining adamantly about it.)

For quite a few years, band directors demand SEEEILVUR sousaphones :| , which - again - after a few years, are gray, black, and brown sousaphones with some epic dents (in expensive-to-repair areas) and many other poorly-repaired dents.

just one last thing: Over the years, school "students" tend to scuff away about 20% (or more) of the metal on the bottoms of the 2nd branches of sousaphones. With fiberglass, that material can - fairly easily - be added back.
bloke

Postby bort » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Guess it's back to regular glass Sousaphones now... :roll:
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:18 pm

bort wrote:Guess it's back to regular glass Sousaphones now... :roll:

yes...Just as in the beloved fairy tale, Sousarella.
bloke

Next

Return to TubeNet