flight case recommendations

The bulk of the musical talk
qcbctuba
bugler
bugler

flight case recommendations

Post by qcbctuba »

afternoon there,

im gonna have to start browsing the realm of flight cases (at least for one of them), and was wondering two things...

1) which flight case do you recommend, and why? i understand that most, if not all of them, are going to be oversized and overweight, but im looking for one that is the easiest to maneuver around town/airport/etc.

2) if you had the choice, what horn would you check in, and which would you buy a seat for? only planning on searching for an f tuba flight case, and then buying a seat for my cc, but if you recommend otherwise, by all means.

looking forward to some recommendations. thanks!
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Re: flight case recommendations

Post by Roger Lewis »

Buy the seat for the horn you are going to be using the most.

As to flight cases I would go with the Unitec Alan Baer model lightweight flight case. Depending on the horn it might come in under 70 pounds. Unitec is great to work with. These cases are well designed and durable. You can wheel them on the bell or lying down. Great protection.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Re: flight case recommendations

Post by Tom »

My flying with a tuba days are over, but I've been there and done that. I would do virtually anything to avoid having my tuba on a plane.

Serious suggestions:

1. Drive. Yes, it takes time, but you are in control of your travel and your stuff at all times. You won't need a flight case.
2. Don't take two instruments. The only thing worse than flying with a tuba is flying with two or more.
3. Ship (ground) to yourself (or to a trusted friend/relative/professor) in advance.

As for the buying a seat for the tuba - it is often suggested. I wonder how many people actually do that successfully and how recently they've done it. I just don't trust that plan since the TSA and airline staffers are ultimately the ones holding all the cards and could halt your plans to snuggle up to your tuba in the seat next to you on a whim. Doesn't really matter if you have a ticket or not - they make the rules and they can change the rules. Seriously, what happens when you show up to the airport with your tuba in a gig bag and they don't let it on the flight or insist that you check it?
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.