A John Packer or Wessex?

The bulk of the musical talk
Mandalf
lurker
lurker

A John Packer or Wessex?

Post by Mandalf »

Hey all! I'm an incoming college freshmen going in for Music Ed. The community college I'm attending doesn't have a euph for me to use so, I'm looking for one of my own. My budget is going to be around $3000 so I've decided to go with either a John Packer (374T or 274MkII, In silver of course :) ) or a Wessex Dolce (Silver with gold trim, Tasty! :D ). What are some of your guys experience with both? From what I've heard the JP plays more like a Besson, and the Dolce more like a YEP-642. Any benefits or pluses for the 374T vs the 274MkII? And those vs the Dolce? Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long post, I'll go back to my contemplation.
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Re: A John Packer or Wessex?

Post by marccromme »

I own a Wessex Dolce silver plated (without trigger) and are quite happy with it. I bought it used, and it did serve me well. Intonation is pretty OK, sound is fine, response is good.

For a thorough study on intonation, check out http://www.dwerden.com/Intonation/, I find this chart describing the intonation of the instrument faithful. My model has the same tendencies, I find especially B (24) to low, it seems a bit overcompensated on my instrument.

Probably I would like to have the Dolce with trigger to be able to lower the B 123 when I need a sharper version of B than my 24 gives.

I have test-played a used Yamaha 642 (before NEO model, 15 years old) recently because I considered an upgrade, but found that the swap was not worth the surplus money. The Wessex Dolce plays as well as the pre-NEO in my humble opinion.

I did test play a used Yamaha NEO (5 years old), which I find a better instrument than the Dolce, but at a much higher price range, so I did keep my Wessex.

Valves do operate fine, sound is great, and it does serve my amateur needs well.

My model has two smaller technical flaws - silver plating at one place was patchy, and 2nd compensating tuning bow sits too loose. The first I ignore, and the other was easy to fix.

I addition, I can assure that Wessex has great customer service, and does take customer satisfaction serious. I had no problems with warranty issues at my first Danube Eb tuba (which I bought new), and got a warranty swap.

I see that Wessex instruments technically quality keeps improving, hardening of bells is better now, silver plating finish is higher, and intonation better than just 5 years ago. Therefore I will not hesitate to buy another instrument from Wessex.

I can't comment on the other horn you are investigating.

Good luck, and please tell us your findings when you decide to buy.
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/war ... ation.html

My Dad asked me this question about a guitar I was considering buying with paper route money when I was fourteen:
bloke's Dad wrote:Which one is more valuable, a warranty, or something that doesn't need a warranty?
As Wessex is the only company (as far as I know) that individually quality checks and play tests every single instrument at the factory before accepting, it is probably the one where warranty claim is the least likely. Wessex have warranty claims on less than 1% of instruments sold.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:I personally own one Jinbao-made instrument.
With all due respect Joe, that has no barring on the quality of Wessex. For a start your horn is at least 3 years old, and the quality of everything out of the Jinbao factory has improved out of all recognition since then. Then the quality of Wessex has improved still further, as all our horns are now made by a small dedicated team of the best craftsmen just building Wessex - plus of course, Jinbao take special care to ensure the Wessex horns are good knowing I will reject any that are not up to standard and they won't get paid for those. That way the quality ever rises, as they work to ensure any deficiencies do not reoccur in future orders.

For the JP, I have never tried, or examined - but am sure it is a nice euphonium. The best thing for the OP to do if he can is try both and see which he personally prefers.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

A third option.....bank $2k and spend $1k on this:

http://www.mackbrass.com/MACK-EU1150_Comp.php" target="_blank
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bloke wrote:
bisontuba wrote:A third option.....bank $2k and spend $1k on this:

http://www.mackbrass.com/MACK-EU1150_Comp.php" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Aren't Jonathan's jb prices only a couple hundred more than Tom's?

My JP274 prices are in the same range...

...so where is the $2000 savings...??

bloke "fwiw, Tom and - mostly - a very capable friend of mine uncrate every single Jb instrument they ship out, check them over, and address things that aren't quite right. Stuff can change, particularly with brand new instruments, with possible stray solder acid and shiny no-patina interiors which are already beginning to tarnish - between manufacturer and some 12,000-miles-away end-user."

bloke " target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank...
The budget is $3k...spend $1k...$2k back in the bank
eupho
4 valves
4 valves

Post by eupho »

I own a Tuba Exchange 2052 silver/gold with trigger. You can read my review on the Tuba Exchange website. It is in your budget and a great euphonium.
2052sg Euphonium-
2110L BBb tuba
3/4 Conn Eb tuba
Southern Tier Concert Band(euph)]
Vestal(NY) Community Band(tuba)
Maine(NY) Community Band(conductor)
Mandalf
lurker
lurker

Post by Mandalf »

Thanks for all the replies!
58mark wrote:I'll throw another option at you. I played 274s and a 374s back to back, and preferred the 274s, and bought one. Great euph
The JP website list the 274s as a 274 Mk II in Silverplate for whatever reason. :roll:
eupho wrote:I own a Tuba Exchange 2052 silver/gold with trigger. You can read my review on the Tuba Exchange website. It is in your budget and a great euphonium.
Do you happen to know the bore size on this? Looks like a beaut though, definitely going to look into it! :D
bloke wrote:
My JP274 prices are in the same range...
Do you do trial periods on the horns you sell?

I'll give Wessex a shot first since I know that they have a 2 week trial period. Thanks again for all of your time!
Mandalf
lurker
lurker

Post by Mandalf »

Dang, that makes things harder. I heard mention of Wessex venting valves standard, is this something JP does or would I have to pay someone to do so?
bloke wrote:Yes I do, but my response here is moot.
Most everyone keeps what they order first, if it works.
The Jinbao euphonium works.
How long do you let trials run for?
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

Mandalf wrote: I heard mention of Wessex venting valves standard
The latest Wessex Dolce all have vented valves. They are also now finished using a new mechanical polishing process, so the finish is superb.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:Tom McGrady has the Jinbao for $995.
http://www.mackbrass.com/Euphoniums.html
If gold trim and four holes in the valves are worth $450, you should probably buy the one you've been looking at.
You seem to be strongly leaning towards Jinbao.
That is not the same euphonium as the Wessex Dolce. We have made more than a dozen improvements including hardened bell of heavier gauge metal, new floating leadpipe of gold brass, extra strengthing plates of nickel, 2nd valve water key, tweaks to tuning, vented valves, nice tactile engraved valve buttons and thicker silver-plating. Plus guaranteed by our quality checking and manufactured by the most skilled technicians at factory.
Mandalf
lurker
lurker

Post by Mandalf »

bloke wrote: Have you played any new euphoniums, or only looked at pictures on your screen?
Yeah, I've played on a few. Yamaha YEP-321, YEP-201, Meinl Weston 751 Phoenix series, Adams E1, Besson New Standard (an older model from '66), a couple of the lower Tuba Exchange models, most of the Eastman line up, and a Jupiter 1120S.