A John Packer or Wessex? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: A John Packer or Wessex?

Postby Wyvern » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:08 am

bloke wrote:Tom McGrady has the Jinbao for $995.
http://www.mackbrass.com/Euphoniums.html
If gold trim and four holes in the valves are worth $450, you should probably buy the one you've been looking at.
You seem to be strongly leaning towards Jinbao.

That is not the same euphonium as the Wessex Dolce. We have made more than a dozen improvements including hardened bell of heavier gauge metal, new floating leadpipe of gold brass, extra strengthing plates of nickel, 2nd valve water key, tweaks to tuning, vented valves, nice tactile engraved valve buttons and thicker silver-plating. Plus guaranteed by our quality checking and manufactured by the most skilled technicians at factory.
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby Mandalf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:36 am

bloke wrote: Have you played any new euphoniums, or only looked at pictures on your screen?

Yeah, I've played on a few. Yamaha YEP-321, YEP-201, Meinl Weston 751 Phoenix series, Adams E1, Besson New Standard (an older model from '66), a couple of the lower Tuba Exchange models, most of the Eastman line up, and a Jupiter 1120S.
Mandalf
lurker
lurker

Postby bloke » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:55 am

Mandalf wrote:
bloke wrote: Have you played any new euphoniums, or only looked at pictures on your screen?

Yeah, I've played on a few. Yamaha YEP-321, YEP-201, Meinl Weston 751 Phoenix series, Adams E1, Besson New Standard (an older model from '66), a couple of the lower Tuba Exchange models, most of the Eastman line up, and a Jupiter 1120S.

I would encourage you to try out some models in your stated budget range. There is probably (??) some school euphonium you can use until you can make a choice based on more than pictures. ...maybe (??) even with an electronic tuner by your side.

I understand that geography is a challenge, but there will be probably be quite a few euphoniums including under-$3000 ones at the Army Conference this winter. If you have a friend in the D.C. area who will put you up, their train and bus systems are vast, a round trip flight is only about $350, and - who knows? - maybe you could talk a selling into selling you a "display" instrument for less, which would cut into your travel expenses.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Previous

Return to TubeNet