New Wessex Purchase

The bulk of the musical talk
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Re: New Wessex Purchase

Post by royjohn »

It is nice to give a new player a new horn, which contributes to motivation and pride. I have no experience with the Wessex trumpets. A used horn is always something of an adventure, but it can be less so if you can have the horn examined by a tech. Sometimes nothing but some new felts and a valve alignment is needed. The sine qua non of used student trumpets is the Olds Ambassador. Other possible candidates are the King Cleveland or the Holton 602. I bought an Ambassador that needed a little dent work ($50?) and a brace resoldered for $60 this past year. I loaned it to a student for marching band practice last week while his horn (middle school student, he dropped it on the bell) is being repaired. If it wasn't necessary to have a shiny new object, I would consider an Ambassador and, when money was available, I'd have one of the well known horn tweakers replace the leadpipe and possible perform some other tweaks (move the front bell brace?). At that point it would be a pro horn, or close to it. When I get the Ambassador back from Mr. Middleschool, that's probably what I'll do with it, just for fun.

However, for a lot of people, a quick shipment of a new horn for $150...what's not to like? Kudos to Wessex for offering such! It would be great to have a review from a pro trumpet player.
Best,
royjohn
royjohn
Dave Hayami
bugler
bugler

Re: New Wessex Purchase

Post by Dave Hayami »

Hello,
After 2 years, how is the Wessex trumpet doing?
The supply of Olds Ambassadors, same age Bundy, and made in Japan Yamaha
Trumpets are drying up, and I am looking to find a "new"
similar style student Trumpet.
Thank you,
Dave Hayami