MTS 3/4 tuba case

The bulk of the musical talk
clintontuba2
bugler
bugler

MTS 3/4 tuba case

Post by clintontuba2 »

I recently purchased a MTS 3/4 size tuba case to house my Yamaha ybb-103 tuba.
2 questions.
1. This case does not have the actual MTS logo on the side. Instead it has a blank oval in its place. Can I be certain this is actually a MTS case? I am completely happy with the case, just wondering why it is different than others on the market.

2. The Yamaha 103 is on the smaller side of being 3/4, so this case is still a little big for the horn. There is a rectangular support block underneath where the valve casings of the horn would sit in the case, and the block makes the horn sit a little high in the case. Are these support blocks designed to be cut out of the case, while still maintaining the integrity of the lining? I want to take the block out, so the horn sits lower in the case.
Any help would be appreciated.
Lee Stofer
4 valves
4 valves

Re: MTS 3/4 tuba case

Post by Lee Stofer »

MTS has changed the shape of their logo in recent years, and besides providing cases under their own name, they make a significant portion of the Conn-Selmer cases. The ones branded, "C.G. Conn" have a blue oval - this may have been removed. I have no idea of the circumstances under which you purchased this case, but it is most likely an MTS.

The MTS 3/4 tuba case is still for an instrument larger than yours. The foam block under the valve casings is designed to support the valveset of a 3/4 BBb tuba closer to the size of a small Conn, King or Olds. It is possible, if you're careful, to cut and peel-back the black covering, cut the foam block to the desired height, then use auto headliner spray adhesive and re-attach the black covering. If you're not comfortable tackling this, a local auto upholstery shop should be able to do it easily enough, and give you a professional-looking job. You might want to also contact MTS Products to inquire about additional foam blocking to help the instrument fit better.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.