Clip-on microphones for tuba Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Clip-on microphones for tuba

Postby Uncle Markie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 am

I'm thinking about using a Beyer TG-152D (or similar) clip-on mike on my 5J for Oktoberfest work I have coming up. Small group that amplified through a big soundboard; just accordion, drums, vocalist and me. The boom mike thing is kinda clunky.

No FM-wireless - I want to plug into an XLR mike cord.

Thanks!
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; Conn 5J; King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler

Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Re: Clip-on microphones for tuba

Postby Ltrain » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Last weekend I used my new Shu mic mount with a Pyle SM57 clone. I used a line/mic level transformer and plugged right into my bass amp. I swear... I got the ritchest, punchiest tone that I ever had mic'd. I had no movement or mechanical noise due the shock mount and and every note was crystal clear, even pedals. Amazing.

There's a brief iPhone clip of me playing with that rig on Instagram @ltrainbrass
Wessex Viverna / Conn Sousaphone
Recovering CC Tubist
Tricked-out Fender P Bass & Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Member, Metropolitan Music Community
Founder/Director, L Train Brass Band
Ltrain
bugler
bugler

Postby Uncle Markie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Shu mount as "kick drum: mount? I could see where that could adapted, plus I already own a nice SM58.
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; Conn 5J; King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 pm

<SIDEBAR>

Who remembers those 1970's Barcus Berry brass instrument pickups that required drilling a 1/4" hole in the mouthpiece?

...yes, and also required a preamp...with a built-in mixer.

</SIDEBAR>
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Tubadork » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:07 pm

I use a SM57 duct taped in the bell for any amplified setting.
B
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Ltrain » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:24 am

Uncle Markie wrote:Shu mount as "kick drum: mount? I could see where that could adapted, plus I already own a nice SM58.

Yup, that's the one. Works perfectly for any size bell of tuba. It's not even my brilliant idea... I learned about it through Beervangelist. There's another guy on here using that Shu rig too. I need to take pic... It's game changing.

Also, cardioid mics are the way to go IMHO.
Wessex Viverna / Conn Sousaphone
Recovering CC Tubist
Tricked-out Fender P Bass & Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Member, Metropolitan Music Community
Founder/Director, L Train Brass Band
Ltrain
bugler
bugler

Postby Beervangelist » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:33 am

I started with the Shure Clip-on Beta 98. It's a condensor mic that will require phantom power. It did a pretty good job, but it does require some favorable context to work.

I saw the Shu Mount being used on a sousaphone bell in one of the threads on here, and ordered it immediately. I haven't looked back. It gives you a threaded mic mount, so you can add whatever mic, mic clip combo you want from there. By using a regular XLR mic without phantom, you're saving yourself a world of trouble. Convert to 1/4 for an amp, or XLR straight to board.

There are several threads on here with more input.

Mic for Tuba Live Performance
http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79408&p=627647#p627647"%20%20target="_blank"%20%20target="_blank"%20%20target="_blank"%20%20target="_blank

Amping Up
http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72924&p=604452&hilit=Amping+up#p604452"%20%20target="_blank"%20%20target="_blank"%20%20target="_blank"%20%20target="_blank

A lot of the old photos are gone because photobucket decided it wanted to be useless... but there are several Tubanetters with good info on the subject.

BrooklynBass - I'm glad its working out for you! Mine took a little trip to Chicago Recording Company and is now CRC approved!
Attachments
CRC Sousa.jpg
CRC Sousa.jpg (79.03 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
Bb Conn 22J Recording Bell - 1933
Bb "Metro - Lockie Music Exchange" stenciled "Spaghetti York" Sousaphone (Early 50s?)
1997 Carvin 5-String fretless bass
http://www.strappingowls.com
Beervangelist
bugler
bugler

Postby Uncle Markie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 am

I'm ordering the Shu mount today - it's an elegant solution; seems to be adaptable to any tuba style. I agree about cardioid mikes too; I've used them for years for my concert band's PA system.

I normally work acoustically and prefer it, but these gigs pay well and involve a small group with massive amplification. A good mike setup (as opposed to sound guys asking where the tuba plugs in) is my best defense!

Thanks to all for the response.
Mark Heter
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler

Postby Kirley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:20 am

I, too, have the Kelly Shu. Works great.

Sonically, my favorite mic that I've used is a Sennheiser 421. It's a really good dynamic mic with a great low end. The only problem with it is that it's heavy and has an awkward, proprietary clip. But the Shu handles it nicely.

I also have the K&M 24040. It's a mic mount that attaches to the bell and has a gooseneck. It's a cool design and works ok for lighter mics like a 57. But the 421 is too heavy for it. Also, I tend to move around a lot while playing. The gooseneck isn't stiff enough to stay where I'd like it. It's not available here in the US from any domestic distributors so I had to order it from Thomann. It was around $75 US.

The Shu is better. But the K&M is more... elegant? : )
Kirley
bugler
bugler

Postby pjv » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm

1.DPA
2.Audio Technica
Both light, professional, awesome sounding mics.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Uncle Markie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:41 am

I received Shu today and it is going to work just fine - on any of my horns, too. I especially like that I can use a microphone and holder I already have on hand and save a couple of bucks. Thanks to everyone for the input!
Mark Heter
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler

Postby Three Valves » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:02 pm

BrooklynBass wrote: Shu mic mount with a Pyle SM57 clone. I used a line/mic level transformer and plugged right into my bass amp.

Effective, elegant and cheap.

That's a trifecta!! :tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
Bach 12
Kelly 18
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby RichWilley » Wed May 09, 2018 12:09 am

Question: When using a Kelly Shu mic mount and, say, an RE20 mic, are you able to set your tuba on the ground (standing on its bell) when you're not playing it?

I'm thinking about using it on my Meinl Weston 25 tuba. I double (or triple) on tuba and trumpet and bass trumpet and need to be able to put the horn down and/or pick it back up to play quickly.

Thanks!
RichWilley
lurker
lurker

Postby Ernieball » Wed May 09, 2018 4:18 am

That Kelly Shu system looks brilliant, but if it's not a daft question... How do you attach it to the edge of the bell?

Isn't it just hooks? Won't they slip and cause it to fly off?!

Apologies if it *is* a daft question.
Ernieball
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Wed May 09, 2018 8:45 am

What are the small mics all the German brass bands use?
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Kirley » Wed May 09, 2018 3:20 pm

RichWilley wrote:Question: When using a Kelly Shu mic mount and, say, an RE20 mic, are you able to set your tuba on the ground (standing on its bell) when you're not playing it?

I'm thinking about using it on my Meinl Weston 25 tuba. I double (or triple) on tuba and trumpet and bass trumpet and need to be able to put the horn down and/or pick it back up to play quickly.

Thanks!

No. You should get a tuba stand so it can remain upright. The Shu attaches to the bell using 4-6 plastic clips. Those clips would be between your bell rim and the ground so the pressure would no longer be distributed around the entire bell but would be focused on those 4-6 points. Ouchy.

Also, the RE20 is a very large mic. In order to use it with the Shu and have it be flush-ish with the bell, it’d be sticking way down the bell. In my experience, that’s not gonna give you the best sonic results. Kinda defeats using such a nice mic.

A non-playing stand would be the way to go for you. Like the K&M.
Kirley
bugler
bugler

Postby RichWilley » Wed May 09, 2018 3:47 pm

So, at this site:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/KM/Tuba-Stands.gc

I'm seeing these stands:
K&M 14951
K&M 14940
K&M 14950
K&M 14952

Are you recommending the 14940?

And then it would be okay to use the Kelly Shu with the mic not way down inside the bell?

I appreciate your help! Thanks so much!
RichWilley
lurker
lurker

Postby pecktime » Wed May 09, 2018 4:55 pm

I’ve used the re20 and found it too dark for my tubas.

My favourite dynamic so far is the sennheiser 609- it’s got a real presence and punch.

I’m not a fan of the 57 or variants on tuba, too tinny for me.
MW 3450, 2011FA HoJo, Conn 20J
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Postby Kirley » Thu May 10, 2018 12:37 am

Yes, the 14940 is the one I was thinking of. It keeps the tuba upright when you’re not using it.

In general, if you can get the mic just a little bit out of the bell, you’ll get more of the overtones (color, texture, whatever). If it’s buried in the bell, lots of fundamental. Not much else. It’s a balance, though. The further out it is, the greater chances of feedback and knocking it into things.

As far as dynamic mics go, the Sennheiser 421 is my favorite for tuba. That’s usually what I use with the Shu. I just wish it didn’t have that silly clip but oh well.

609s are nice and light. I’ll have to try one out on the tuba. Thanks!
Kirley
bugler
bugler

Postby Bill Troiano » Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 am

I've also been looking for a clip on mic. I did inquire regarding cordless clip on mics a while back. Too complicated for my brain to understand. I would like a small light weight mic to clip on my sousaphone or 186. Although it's difficult to see in the picture, there I am playing my sousaphone on a recent gig. You can see a Shure 57 (or 58) in my bell. I enclose the mic in a 7 in. piece of pipe insulation to keep the mic from rattling around the bell. I only drop it in enough so that it won't fall out. Then, I clip the cord to the my bell using a large paper clip . It works fine, but it's awkward and it adds weight.
Bill Troiano
4 valves
4 valves

Next

Return to TubeNet