Clip-on microphones for tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler
Location: Highlands NJ - gateway to the Jersey Shore (Sandy Hook)

Clip-on microphones for tuba

Post by Uncle Markie »

I'm thinking about using a Beyer TG-152D (or similar) clip-on mike on my 5J for Oktoberfest work I have coming up. Small group that amplified through a big soundboard; just accordion, drums, vocalist and me. The boom mike thing is kinda clunky.

No FM-wireless - I want to plug into an XLR mike cord.

Thanks!
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Clip-on microphones for tuba

Post by Ltrain »

Last weekend I used my new Shu mic mount with a Pyle SM57 clone. I used a line/mic level transformer and plugged right into my bass amp. I swear... I got the ritchest, punchiest tone that I ever had mic'd. I had no movement or mechanical noise due the shock mount and and every note was crystal clear, even pedals. Amazing.

There's a brief iPhone clip of me playing with that rig on Instagram @ltrainbrass
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler

Post by Uncle Markie »

Shu mount as "kick drum: mount? I could see where that could adapted, plus I already own a nice SM58.
Mark Heter
1926 Martin Handcraft 3v upright bell front action ; 1933 Martin Handcraft 3v bellfront; King 2341 (old style); King top-action 3v; Bach (King) fiberglass sousaphone.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

I use a SM57 duct taped in the bell for any amplified setting.
B
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ltrain »

Uncle Markie wrote:Shu mount as "kick drum: mount? I could see where that could adapted, plus I already own a nice SM58.
Yup, that's the one. Works perfectly for any size bell of tuba. It's not even my brilliant idea... I learned about it through Beervangelist. There's another guy on here using that Shu rig too. I need to take pic... It's game changing.

Also, cardioid mics are the way to go IMHO.
Eastman 853 Eb ("Edith")
1963 King 1250 Sousaphone ("Jackie O")
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Beervangelist
bugler
bugler

Post by Beervangelist »

I started with the Shure Clip-on Beta 98. It's a condensor mic that will require phantom power. It did a pretty good job, but it does require some favorable context to work.

I saw the Shu Mount being used on a sousaphone bell in one of the threads on here, and ordered it immediately. I haven't looked back. It gives you a threaded mic mount, so you can add whatever mic, mic clip combo you want from there. By using a regular XLR mic without phantom, you're saving yourself a world of trouble. Convert to 1/4 for an amp, or XLR straight to board.

There are several threads on here with more input.

Mic for Tuba Live Performance
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79408&p=627647#p627 ... et="_blank

Amping Up
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72924&p=604452&hili ... et="_blank

A lot of the old photos are gone because photobucket decided it wanted to be useless... but there are several Tubanetters with good info on the subject.

BrooklynBass - I'm glad its working out for you! Mine took a little trip to Chicago Recording Company and is now CRC approved!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1926 BBb King Giant Sousaphone
1950's BBb "Metro - Lockie Music Exchange" stenciled "Spaghetti York" Sousaphone
1997 Carvin 5-String fretless bass
http://www.strappingowls.com
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler

Post by Uncle Markie »

I'm ordering the Shu mount today - it's an elegant solution; seems to be adaptable to any tuba style. I agree about cardioid mikes too; I've used them for years for my concert band's PA system.

I normally work acoustically and prefer it, but these gigs pay well and involve a small group with massive amplification. A good mike setup (as opposed to sound guys asking where the tuba plugs in) is my best defense!

Thanks to all for the response.
Mark Heter
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

I, too, have the Kelly Shu. Works great.

Sonically, my favorite mic that I've used is a Sennheiser 421. It's a really good dynamic mic with a great low end. The only problem with it is that it's heavy and has an awkward, proprietary clip. But the Shu handles it nicely.

I also have the K&M 24040. It's a mic mount that attaches to the bell and has a gooseneck. It's a cool design and works ok for lighter mics like a 57. But the 421 is too heavy for it. Also, I tend to move around a lot while playing. The gooseneck isn't stiff enough to stay where I'd like it. It's not available here in the US from any domestic distributors so I had to order it from Thomann. It was around $75 US.

The Shu is better. But the K&M is more... elegant? : )
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

1.DPA
2.Audio Technica
Both light, professional, awesome sounding mics.
Uncle Markie
bugler
bugler

Post by Uncle Markie »

I received Shu today and it is going to work just fine - on any of my horns, too. I especially like that I can use a microphone and holder I already have on hand and save a couple of bucks. Thanks to everyone for the input!
Mark Heter
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

BrooklynBass wrote: Shu mic mount with a Pyle SM57 clone. I used a line/mic level transformer and plugged right into my bass amp.
Effective, elegant and cheap.

That's a trifecta!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
RichWilley
lurker
lurker

Post by RichWilley »

Question: When using a Kelly Shu mic mount and, say, an RE20 mic, are you able to set your tuba on the ground (standing on its bell) when you're not playing it?

I'm thinking about using it on my Meinl Weston 25 tuba. I double (or triple) on tuba and trumpet and bass trumpet and need to be able to put the horn down and/or pick it back up to play quickly.

Thanks!
Ernieball
bugler
bugler

Post by Ernieball »

That Kelly Shu system looks brilliant, but if it's not a daft question... How do you attach it to the edge of the bell?

Isn't it just hooks? Won't they slip and cause it to fly off?!

Apologies if it *is* a daft question.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

RichWilley wrote:Question: When using a Kelly Shu mic mount and, say, an RE20 mic, are you able to set your tuba on the ground (standing on its bell) when you're not playing it?

I'm thinking about using it on my Meinl Weston 25 tuba. I double (or triple) on tuba and trumpet and bass trumpet and need to be able to put the horn down and/or pick it back up to play quickly.

Thanks!
No. You should get a tuba stand so it can remain upright. The Shu attaches to the bell using 4-6 plastic clips. Those clips would be between your bell rim and the ground so the pressure would no longer be distributed around the entire bell but would be focused on those 4-6 points. Ouchy.

Also, the RE20 is a very large mic. In order to use it with the Shu and have it be flush-ish with the bell, it’d be sticking way down the bell. In my experience, that’s not gonna give you the best sonic results. Kinda defeats using such a nice mic.

A non-playing stand would be the way to go for you. Like the K&M.
RichWilley
lurker
lurker

Post by RichWilley »

So, at this site:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/KM/Tuba-Stands.gc" target="_blank

I'm seeing these stands:
K&M 14951
K&M 14940
K&M 14950
K&M 14952

Are you recommending the 14940?

And then it would be okay to use the Kelly Shu with the mic not way down inside the bell?

I appreciate your help! Thanks so much!
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

I’ve used the re20 and found it too dark for my tubas.

My favourite dynamic so far is the sennheiser 609- it’s got a real presence and punch.

I’m not a fan of the 57 or variants on tuba, too tinny for me.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Kirley »

Yes, the 14940 is the one I was thinking of. It keeps the tuba upright when you’re not using it.

In general, if you can get the mic just a little bit out of the bell, you’ll get more of the overtones (color, texture, whatever). If it’s buried in the bell, lots of fundamental. Not much else. It’s a balance, though. The further out it is, the greater chances of feedback and knocking it into things.

As far as dynamic mics go, the Sennheiser 421 is my favorite for tuba. That’s usually what I use with the Shu. I just wish it didn’t have that silly clip but oh well.

609s are nice and light. I’ll have to try one out on the tuba. Thanks!
Bill Troiano
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Bill Troiano »

I've also been looking for a clip on mic. I did inquire regarding cordless clip on mics a while back. Too complicated for my brain to understand. I would like a small light weight mic to clip on my sousaphone or 186. Although it's difficult to see in the picture, there I am playing my sousaphone on a recent gig. You can see a Shure 57 (or 58) in my bell. I enclose the mic in a 7 in. piece of pipe insulation to keep the mic from rattling around the bell. I only drop it in enough so that it won't fall out. Then, I clip the cord to the my bell using a large paper clip . It works fine, but it's awkward and it adds weight.
MvHooft
lurker
lurker

Post by MvHooft »

This is the setup I use when playing in my band https://www.facebook.com/Copchase-Brass ... 1994186024
- https://www.sdsystems.com/products/#modular which comes with a clip and a gooseneck
- custom 3D printed microphone mount Image
which is mounted in my bell with a piece of velcro like this Image

Works for me :D
tubaphillips
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubaphillips »

The big thing with clip on mics is that they don't go far enough down the bell. You can make a custom mount. I made a how to video on my facebook (link below). I use a 98 with the GLXD receiver system. Great for me because it works overseas and plays nice with guitar pedals

https://www.facebook.com/TubaPhillips/v ... 883840042/" target="_blank
Harry Phillips
1954 Conn Naked Lady 20K