BESSON 993

The bulk of the musical talk
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

BESSON 993

Post by eeflattuba »

I see someone in Atlanta,is selling on craigslist a besson 993 compensating bb flat tuba. Unusual in that this a side action horn and not the traditional 3+1besson tubas that everyone is used to seeing.Anyone ever play one?
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re: BESSON 993

Post by hup_d_dup »

I have one of these and I like it very much. I also have a Besson 983 which is the Eb version. Due to their unusual open wraps they look just like big and little brothers. I also think that aside from the huge size difference there is a family resemblance in how they play. The 993 in particular is a very lively horn, and I can feel it vibrate in my hands as I play. I have no idea if this is good or bad but it makes the horn feel alive and that's one of the reasons I enjoy playing it. I would characterize the sound of the 993 as "bright," not dark or warm.

I read the CL ad for the instrument you are asking about and was surprised to see it described as ergonomically comfortable. The instrument is tall and the mouthpiece receiver is high, so no one but the tallest of people - certainly not me and I'm about 6'1'' - will be able to rest the instrument on his or her lap. Further, since the bottom bow rests between the legs and the wrap is so wide, the player must keep his legs open fairly wide. This was almost a deal-breaker for me, but I liked the horn so much that I told myself (perhaps unrealistically) that if it was too uncomfortable I could lower the leadpipe to get the bottom bow higher. Fortunately I have adjusted well to the horn as is and can comfortably play it for long periods. I just mention this because it is bound to be an issue for some (or many) people.

This is the 4th of 5 tubas I have owned, and I looked long and hard before selecting this one. So far, so good. I've had it over a year now and am very happy with it. On the other hand, this is the only 993 I have ever played (or even seen) so I can't know if it plays like other 993s.

The 993 in the CL ad is a beautiful-looking horn. You should at least try it out if you can.

Hup
Do you really need Facebook?
eeflattuba
bugler
bugler

Post by eeflattuba »

hup_d_dup wrote:I have one of these and I like it very much. I also have a Besson 983 which is the Eb version. Due to their unusual open wraps they look just like big and little brothers. I also think that aside from the huge size difference there is a family resemblance in how they play. The 993 in particular is a very lively horn, and I can feel it vibrate in my hands as I play. I have no idea if this is good or bad but it makes the horn feel alive and that's one of the reasons I enjoy playing it. I would characterize the sound of the 993 as "bright," not dark or warm.

I read the CL ad for the instrument you are asking about and was surprised to see it described as ergonomically comfortable. The instrument is tall and the mouthpiece receiver is high, so no one but the tallest of people - certainly not me and I'm about 6'1'' - will be able to rest the instrument on his or her lap. Further, since the bottom bow rests between the legs and the wrap is so wide, the player must keep his legs open fairly wide. This was almost a deal-breaker for me, but I liked the horn so much that I told myself (perhaps unrealistically) that if it was too uncomfortable I could lower the leadpipe to get the bottom bow higher. Fortunately I have adjusted well to the horn as is and can comfortably play it for long periods. I just mention this because it is bound to be an issue for some (or many) people.

This is the 4th of 5 tubas I have owned, and I looked long and hard before selecting this one. So far, so good. I've had it over a year now and am very happy with it. On the other hand, this is the only 993 I have ever played (or even seen) so I can't know if it plays like other 993s.

The 993 in the CL ad is a beautiful-looking horn. You should at least try it out if you can.

Hup
Many thanks for your detailed information. I am interested in the horn but as I live way up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan,Canada trying it might be a problem.You do not see these tubas very often.
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

I agree with his review of the horn. I played the demo model at TMEA back in 2011 that Besson brought. I am only 5'10 but I didn't find it too uncomfortable because I'm used to resting most big horns between my legs on a chair, but I wouldn't say it is uncomfortable. It is definitely not like most tubas where you can play them in your lap tilted to the side. For me, I play these sitting on the chair kind of caddy cornered with the tuba resting on the chair straight up and down vertically, almost no lean at all. The leadpipe could be a little lower and that would make it more comfortable for most, but it is definitely more comfortable than the top action version for sure because the pistons are placed pretty low down, so I think that with a lower leadpipe it would be perfect, although I didn't see this a too big of an issue. I don't understand why Besson positioned the lead pipes so high up on their "brass band" style horns. I like that he compared it to a Willson design because I used to own a Willson 3100 and I played them both the exact same way, resting on the chair. So I'm used to that. I always thought those horns were cool and contemplated selling the Willson to get one at one point. I'd love to give that one a try as I really loved the way the demo one played!
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid