Cronkhite Gig Bags

The bulk of the musical talk
GlennCronkhite.com
lurker
lurker

Re: Cronkhite Gig Bags

Post by GlennCronkhite.com »

BrooklynBass wrote:My question is: how does one CLEAN one of these bags. Mine is Cordura and is starting to get stanky.
Glenn used a Cordura clone, we will use only US made - DuPont branded Cordura once we get through his rolls (partial rolls, one of each color, won't take long). His cases "out there" should be urethane coated, so at least the outside can be cleaned with a wet cloth or even a slightly soapy wet cloth. I'm sure most of you have had rain fall on your bags with no problems -- that's what the urethane undercoat does if it is applied well (Taiwan, Germany, USA sources). It can peel off over time if the Cordura knockoff is China-sourced. I learned this the hard way in 2007.

If the foam got stanky, then we'd need to overhaul it and get you a new lining. We have some general pricing for that here:

http://glenncronkhite.com/contact-us-2/repair-services/" target="_blank

--Steve
GlennCronkhite.com
lurker
lurker

the elephant wrote:Steve Kriesel:

So, just to be 100% clear, what material are you using on the TUBA bags on the lower strap where the metal loop normally lives? (Not asking about a clip like on the euph bag, but the loop stitched to the bag body that the strap slides through when you adjust its length.)
Metal, sourced from Glenn. We have a huge bag of them, and I have found a re-supplier when needed. It's called a "single slider."

Those won't suffer from metal fatigue like a clip would, because of how the weight is distributed across the 2" width.
EMC
4 valves
4 valves

Post by EMC »

the elephant wrote:There was a photo of a bag with plastic strap hardware. I cannot remember whether it was a tuba or euph bag, but I *think* it was for a euph. If the tuba bags have these I would no longer recommend them. The straps were one of the very best selling features of Cronkhite bags, and to alter them to save a buck is a bad idea by people who have never had one of these break and seen their tuba bell CRUSHED under its own weight by flipping backwards off a shoulder and falling about eight feet onto pavement. These straps need to be able to hold the tuba and all the stuff in the bag for decades using ONE STRAP ONLY without the slightest risk of failure. I personally HAVE had a plastic part fail and my horn sustained a lot of very bad damage. My angry phone call to Irving Berg was the main reason (if not the only one) that H&B Tuxedo bags have had all metal strap hardware since about 1994 or so. He was a great guy once we came to an understanding. He paid for the tuba repair by a top drawer tech including shipping there and back, he also sent me a brand new bag with the improved hardware.

The materials and technology used in making these plastic loops and turnbuckles and such is pretty much the same as it has been for decades. No improvement, no changes, just advertising.

Now, if the tuba bags are truly unchanged then I will be ordering one fairly soon for my rare Kurath F tuba. Otherwise I will get one of the blue Miraphone bag, again, for the quality of the straps and the padding more than any other reasons.

Caveat emptor: we need to *see* an actual example of the tuba bags as produced by this new owner. I am hopeful that this will not be an issue, but that photo in that older TN thread clearly showing plastic hardware on the straps gave me and several other pause. I do not have an issue with these on a euph bag, though, as they are more than strong enough for such a weight, but again, the tuba bag straps must be safe for large horns using only one strap for many years. Cronkhite had his dialed in perfectly. I hope these were 100% unchanged.

I have been a huge evangelist for leather Cronkhite bags since I got my first one in 2002 when I dumped Dolly bags for good. I have owned four of them and would like to buy two more, in leather if that is an option. I *really* like these bags. Just waiting on someone to confirm what material the strap hardware will be. A visit to the link posted above does not clear this up. The bulleted point simply states:

• The finest metal and delrin hardware.

A written assurance that no delrin will be used in the straps would go a long way with me and like-minded, long-term customers...
You mentioned you have a kurath f tuba, would you mind Sending me a picture? Does it have a "4" stamped on the inside of the bell
GlennCronkhite.com
lurker
lurker

The mention of "The finest metal and delrin hardware," was a copy / paste from the trumpet bags description. We were in a hurry creating the website, and most of the descriptions are the same -- literally the only edits we took the time to do was with the pricing and SKUs. Once that was done ... move on to the next product.

The tuba bags, from Glenn's sample, do not have any delrin hardware that I can think of (I'm at home). At any rate, we're just copying his sample using his raw materials -- what was there will be there.

And I'll be trying to customize each product description, maybe one per day, to eliminate any confusion. Sorry about that. We're also in the process of adding the entire sax line to 3 websites, the entire OEM harp line to 3 websites, etc. There's a lot to do, and this just scratches the surface of my work load.

On the positive side, we've received about 10 tuba bag orders, and they are almost in line to be made (1 week for the first few?). There should be some feedback on here soon. The current wait is 3-4 weeks, but I fear that's going to get longer.

We also bought 4 new heavy duty sewing machines, and they are much better for the job at hand than what Glenn's guy used. They came in and were set up over the last 2 weeks. Side by side between the Glenn-made samples and our recent ones, the foot on Glenn's guy's machine left marks, while ours does not -- that's the better machine with the 30mm lift. We just got the 2nd double needle machine going today, so the .25" wide parallel seam lines along the main zippers will actually be parallel every time. Glenn's guy did not use one of these, so there are two improvements just from the new heavy machinery. We've always had a bunch of leather machines, but the new ones are beasts, and make the work much easier.

I know -- photos -- give it another week or so and I'll be able to show some of them here: http://glenncronkhite.com/product-category/tubabags/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

And Tuba man Steve Skov was in today! An old friend of mine from college if any of you know him. He's got one on order, so I bought lunch. :)

Take care, y'all, and wish us luck in this new endeavor!
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

I'll be ordering at least one soon. Are you still using the measurement sheets Glenn distributed before?
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
WagnerRing
bugler
bugler

Post by WagnerRing »

Thanks for the updates on Cronkhite tuba bags. I'm very pleased that these will continue with very high standards. I'm ordering one soon!
Last edited by WagnerRing on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

I ordered a leather bag a few weeks ago and should be in this first batch. I own two other Cronkhite bags, and will post some first impressions when I get the new one. I can't wait to see it after reading about the new sewing machines and tools. Should be a great bag.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Do I need one? No! Do I want one, Absolutely!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
big_benthomson
lurker
lurker

Post by big_benthomson »

Any news/photos on the post-Cronkhite bags yet?
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

My new bag arrived over the weekend, and it is fantastic. I ordered a Chocolate Brown leather bag for a Miraphone 186 CC, and the bag fits the horn perfectly. The leather is very high quality and is a beautiful color.

I got several emails along the way from the folks at Torpedo including the president of the company Steve Kriesel. They are really focused on making these to the highest standard, and delayed shipping mine because the foam they had been planning to use for the bags wasn't dense enough. They switched to a high density / high resiliency medical foam that seems to be denser than what is in my older Cronkhite bags. I think the two older bags I have are great, and this new one seems like it will protect the horn even better.

The workmanship is excellent - stitching looks great, the rivets are brass like the previous model, and the hardware on the straps is similar and high quality. The back straps are attached pretty much exactly like the older bags, and are very sturdy. The zipper is high quality and works well.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, but I just wanted to let everyone know these great bags are available again and are built to the same quality levels we enjoyed from Glenn for many years.
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

I just noticed they put up some pictures here: http://glenncronkhite.com/product/large-tuba-bag/" target="_blank

These are exactly representative of the bag I just received. As you will see, they have built these to last.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Thank you for posting the pictures. The bag look fantastic!
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

A friend of mine in the DFW area just got his bad. Black leather. Workmanship and look is fantastic. Fit is perfect too.
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

It seems the price has gone up considerably with the new management.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:
roweenie wrote:It seems the price has gone up considerably with the new management.
I'm just so shocked.
Really? I'm shocked that you are so shocked.... :wink:

But seriously, I can understand a price increase, but 50%?
JCalkin
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCalkin »

That is pretty darned expensive for a bag... the cordura ones now cost more that SKB hard cases and about as much as a Winter case, and the leather bags cost about the same as a Unitec flight-rated case.

But...

The construction looks to be exactly the same as the bag I bought from Horn Guys for my big Rudy (one of Glenn's final run of leather bags). I've known several guys with Cronkhite bags that were decades old and had heavy, regular use, and aside from some surface scuffs they were still doing their jobs.

Having owned bags by Tuxedo, Altieri, and Pro Tec in the past I think the Cronkhite were (and are) the best bags in the business. I'll probably be getting one for my F at some point.
Josh Calkin
Wayne State College
Low Brass/Bands
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

If people want to buy bags where cost is the only factor there is a market for that. If people want to buy a quality product that is hand made in the US with top quality materials there is a market for that as well. I like having the higher end option - that was missing in the market. This bag is worth every penny I paid in my opinion. Super happy with it.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

rodmathews wrote:If people want to buy bags where cost is the only factor there is a market for that. If people want to buy a quality product that is hand made in the US with top quality materials there is a market for that as well. I like having the higher end option - that was missing in the market. This bag is worth every penny I paid in my opinion. Super happy with it.
No argument here - they are the best bags available IMHO, and I own several.

But a 50% increase in less than one year? Has anything in the construction improved over the past year to merit a 50% increase in price, or is it just because the company has a new owner?

I think you've somewhat missed my point.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:"The market" has yet to be tested, other than TNFJ comments from those who aren't involved in the act of purchasing them.
No TNFJ here - I was hoping that the Cronkhite gig bag line would be continued, as I was in the market for another one.

(I had to think twice about buying one when they were $440 - - - - -)

The only reason I can fathom for jacking up the price by 50% is that the new owner wants to make back his investment in a hurry, which is certainly his prerogative - it's also my prerogative to refuse to spend $675 for a Cordura gig bag.

Of course, if there's another reason for this, I'd be happy to be enlightened.
Sandlapper
bugler
bugler

Post by Sandlapper »

All I can say abut the new Cronkhite bag is that the one I just got is as well made as the old one, and being able to safely move the horn was worth the cost for me. Cheaper would have been better but not with a loss of quality.