Cronkhite Gig Bags Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Cronkhite Gig Bags

Postby Tabert » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Looks like the folks that took over the business have gotten things together enough to start selling tuba bags:

http://glenncronkhite.com/product-category/tubabags/

Yo, Steve Skov, Micky Wrobleski, and Josh Lee! Glenn's 70 Tuba patterns cut and measured for 165 specific tuba models are LIVE. You choose the size and tuba here, we'll dig and dig and dig and find the right pattern.

With some luck we'll get some basic photos up tonight.

The next best fitting line of tuba bags offers -- what? -- 3 or 4 sizes so your $20,000 tuba can flop around? I don't think so!
-- Their Facebook page
The Hartt School of Music
Tabert
lurker
lurker

Re: Cronkhite Gig Bags

Postby TUbajohn20J » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Awesome. I wonder are they the same great quality? Who bought the company?
Conn 10J
Conn 26J
Conn 40K
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Postby the elephant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 pm

There was a photo of a bag with plastic strap hardware. I cannot remember whether it was a tuba or euph bag, but I *think* it was for a euph. If the tuba bags have these I would no longer recommend them. The straps were one of the very best selling features of Cronkhite bags, and to alter them to save a buck is a bad idea by people who have never had one of these break and seen their tuba bell CRUSHED under its own weight by flipping backwards off a shoulder and falling about eight feet onto pavement. These straps need to be able to hold the tuba and all the stuff in the bag for decades using ONE STRAP ONLY without the slightest risk of failure. I personally HAVE had a plastic part fail and my horn sustained a lot of very bad damage. My angry phone call to Irving Berg was the main reason (if not the only one) that H&B Tuxedo bags have had all metal strap hardware since about 1994 or so. He was a great guy once we came to an understanding. He paid for the tuba repair by a top drawer tech including shipping there and back, he also sent me a brand new bag with the improved hardware.

The materials and technology used in making these plastic loops and turnbuckles and such is pretty much the same as it has been for decades. No improvement, no changes, just advertising.

Now, if the tuba bags are truly unchanged then I will be ordering one fairly soon for my rare Kurath F tuba. Otherwise I will get one of the blue Miraphone bag, again, for the quality of the straps and the padding more than any other reasons.

Caveat emptor: we need to *see* an actual example of the tuba bags as produced by this new owner. I am hopeful that this will not be an issue, but that photo in that older TN thread clearly showing plastic hardware on the straps gave me and several other pause. I do not have an issue with these on a euph bag, though, as they are more than strong enough for such a weight, but again, the tuba bag straps must be safe for large horns using only one strap for many years. Cronkhite had his dialed in perfectly. I hope these were 100% unchanged.

I have been a huge evangelist for leather Cronkhite bags since I got my first one in 2002 when I dumped Dolly bags for good. I have owned four of them and would like to buy two more, in leather if that is an option. I *really* like these bags. Just waiting on someone to confirm what material the strap hardware will be. A visit to the link posted above does not clear this up. The bulleted point simply states:

• The finest metal and delrin hardware.

A written assurance that no delrin will be used in the straps would go a long way with me and like-minded, long-term customers...
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby proam » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Cronkhite bags was, I believe, purchased by Steve Kriesel of Torpedo trumpet bags.

http://glenncronkhite.com/about-us/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

https://torpedobags.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Regarding hardware, Torpedo bags (well, at least the one I have) use plastic hardware but the weight difference between tuba and trumpet is large. Kriesel has been very active on trumpet forums and would likely be very receptive to constructive comments. I believe that he truly seeks to build a quality bag/case. Send him a note.

Someone should invite him to join the discussion forum here.
proam
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:13 pm

He bought a quality case. He needs to not screw it up with "ideas" (read: cost cutting methods) :-)
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Mark Horne » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Gotta side with the Elephant here - especially the part about a single strap carrying all the weight. I use only one strap about 95% of the time - putting it over my right shoulder. Cronkhite's bags have been stellar in this regard.
Alexander 163 CC 5V, B&S PT3, Mel Culbertson Neptune, Gronitz PCK, B&S Symphonie F 6V
Mark Horne
bugler
bugler

Postby Ferguson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 pm

One of the metal parts in the Cronkhite strap system has been discontinued and cannot be sourced elsewhere. That part has been replaced with a high strength plastic part, whether the case was made by Cronkhite or Kriesel. Kriesel/Torpedo hasn't quite gotten their sewing up to Cronkhite standards yet, but hopefully soon. I'll report back when the cases are right.

-F
Ferguson
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Lee Stofer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:56 am

To respond to Mr. Ferguson's post, I would see replacing a metal part with a plastic one in the strap assembly as a very bad idea. "...cannot be sourced anywhere else.." Are you kidding me? This is not a part for a Formula One car or the Space Shuttle, and I'm sure that someone, somewhere can manufacture a few hundred to a thousand of them at a reasonable price. And, they will do so, as well as everthing else correctly, if they expect to have the same sort of loyalty and respect that we gave Mr. Cronkhite and his product.
Lee A. Stofer, Jr.
Lee Stofer
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby the elephant » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:39 am

Lee Stofer wrote:To respond to Mr. Ferguson's post, I would see replacing a metal part with a plastic one in the strap assembly as a very bad idea. "...cannot be sourced anywhere else.." Are you kidding me? This is not a part for a Formula One car or the Space Shuttle, and I'm sure that someone, somewhere can manufacture a few hundred to a thousand of them at a reasonable price. And, they will do so, as well as everthing else correctly, if they expect to have the same sort of loyalty and respect that we gave Mr. Cronkhite and his product.

Exactly.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Rick F » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 pm

That is a bag for euphonium. I agree, I sure wouldn't want to trust my horn's lively hood to some plastic hardware. Picture below:

Miraphone 5050 - Warburton (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)

Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Rick F » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Here's a picture of my fairly old leather Cronkhite bag showing a proper fastener:

Miraphone 5050 - Warburton (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)

Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Both photos in this thread are of EUPHONIUM bags with the clip on straps.

The (now old) Cronkhite made tuba bags I own do NOT have clip on straps. I don't think I'd trust the metal clip seen here anymore than I'd trust the plastic one with a tuba gig bag.

The question I have is are the tuba bags the same way? They are using plastic clip on straps now?
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Postby barry grrr-ero » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:10 pm

At the risk of sounding like a contrarian, just knowing how incredibly solid Torpedo bags are - and just how solid their reputation is for them (ask trumpet players) - I have difficulty believing that they would compromise on something so critical. I'm not saying they didn't - just sayin' I would find it quite baffling and 'out of character' for that company.
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bigboymusic » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Yes, if they make the tuba bags like the one I ordered right before they stopped production, the straps were sewn in. VERY durable... And $$... but was worth it...
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
5/4 No Name CC
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Postby GlennCronkhite.com » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:05 am

Hi -- Steve Kriesel replying to ... ahem ... a fair amount of speculation and mis-information here. :)

I'm the owner/founder of Torpedo Bags (trumpet cases made in the USA since 2005) and the excited new owner of Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases. We will continue making these in the USA inside our factory.

Long story short — Glenn Cronkhite tuba bags DON'T use clips on their straps. They are sewn in on both ends, and we will continue to do that.

In the EUPHONIUM bag photo, that’s the plastic hardware Glenn insisted on, since metal clips break MORE often than a good delrin clip. But it has to be a GOOD one, dig? This has been our experience with Torpedo Bags products, and our metal clips are 3X beefier than the metal clip in the photo someone posted, above. Metal clips break, sorry. And again, this whole discussion doesn't even apply to tuba bags.

Glenn showed me about 5,000 of that exact metal clip, and would not give them to me. He was going to throw them out for a reason. The brass clip in the photo above that someone called “a proper clip” was the one he was having issues with — I’d honestly get that swapped out, from what Glenn and others have told me, or double it up with a caribeener.

A good plastic clip will outlast just about any metal clip -- trust me, I've been doing this in the USA since 2005, and have tested everything. I found YKK and Nexus to be perfect. We'd get samples, freeze them, beat them with a hammer in a vise, then repeat after heating them in boiling water. If it broke, we didn't buy them. But mil spec YKK and Nexus are great products that aren't going to break like a metal clip -- I'm dead serious, and I'm aware it doesn't make sense. The fact that Glenn and others have come to the same conclusion should also back this up.

And to the comment above from Steve Ferguson at The Horn Guys about the standards was referring to the VERY FIRST 10 or so Cronkhite bags we made, the MUCH more difficult trombone bags. I was trying to do him a favor because he seemed anxious to get some trombone bags, so he got the first ones we made in July. We fixed the valid issues he observed mostly before he said anything to us -- most were easy fixes and we just needed some more practice -- but he has not seen the better bags from August.

But I look forward to your questions and support going forward. Torpedo Bags has an extremely good track record in the protection and durability department, and Glenn allowed me to take on this project because we share this mindset.

We're about 3 weeks out on orders, FYI.
Last edited by GlennCronkhite.com on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlennCronkhite.com
lurker
lurker

Postby bort » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:10 am

Great info, thanks!

I am in Minneapolis, not far from you... Do you do factory tours? :tuba:
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby GlennCronkhite.com » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:16 am

Sure! -- not tomorrow (Friday) though! Call ahead, and generally if you miss me, Kelli or Jake can walk you through. She's usually only there until about 2:30 or 3. I'm often there until 6, but my duties are pretty intense, so I'm in and out a lot.

Shop phone is here -- Kelli is an introvert, so email works too:

http://glenncronkhite.com/contact-us-2/
GlennCronkhite.com
lurker
lurker

Postby tofu » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:10 am

GlennCronkhite.com wrote:Hi -- Steve Kriesel replying to ... ahem ... a fair amount of speculation and mis-information here. :)

I'm the owner/founder of Torpedo Bags (trumpet cases made in the USA since 2005) and the excited new owner of Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases. We will continue making these in the USA inside our factory.

Hello Steve,

First I think I speak for many of us - we appreciate your taking on the Cronkhite euph/tuba gig bag business. We hope you keep Glenn's high standards and that you are successful and profitable. Second - it is great that you are a member of the forum and hopefully will continue to post, answer questions and keep us informed of news with the gig bags. Third, I used the contact email on your website and going on two weeks have not heard back. I realize that as a small business in a growth phase it can feel like juggling six balls in the air - but nothing leaves a bad taste in the mouth of buyers like poor or no response to inquiries.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby barry grrr-ero » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:16 am

Told you guys. You must not have a lot of trumpet playing friends :wink:
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby BrooklynBass » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:59 am

My question is: how does one CLEAN one of these bags. Mine is Cordura and is starting to get stanky.
Eastman 632S "Stella" (Parker & Stofer-Geib mpcs)
Tricked-out Fender P Bass & Aguilar Amplification
In search of: CC sousa or helicon solution
--------------
Member, Brooklyn Wind Symphony
Director, L Train Brass Band
BrooklynBass
bugler
bugler

Next

Return to TubeNet