Cronkhite Gig Bags

The bulk of the musical talk
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Re: Cronkhite Gig Bags

Post by rodmathews »

If people want to buy bags where cost is the only factor there is a market for that. If people want to buy a quality product that is hand made in the US with top quality materials there is a market for that as well. I like having the higher end option - that was missing in the market. This bag is worth every penny I paid in my opinion. Super happy with it.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

rodmathews wrote:If people want to buy bags where cost is the only factor there is a market for that. If people want to buy a quality product that is hand made in the US with top quality materials there is a market for that as well. I like having the higher end option - that was missing in the market. This bag is worth every penny I paid in my opinion. Super happy with it.
No argument here - they are the best bags available IMHO, and I own several.

But a 50% increase in less than one year? Has anything in the construction improved over the past year to merit a 50% increase in price, or is it just because the company has a new owner?

I think you've somewhat missed my point.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:"The market" has yet to be tested, other than TNFJ comments from those who aren't involved in the act of purchasing them.
No TNFJ here - I was hoping that the Cronkhite gig bag line would be continued, as I was in the market for another one.

(I had to think twice about buying one when they were $440 - - - - -)

The only reason I can fathom for jacking up the price by 50% is that the new owner wants to make back his investment in a hurry, which is certainly his prerogative - it's also my prerogative to refuse to spend $675 for a Cordura gig bag.

Of course, if there's another reason for this, I'd be happy to be enlightened.
Sandlapper
bugler
bugler

Post by Sandlapper »

All I can say abut the new Cronkhite bag is that the one I just got is as well made as the old one, and being able to safely move the horn was worth the cost for me. Cheaper would have been better but not with a loss of quality.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Mark Finley wrote:something else to think about. On Facebook they announced a discount code for 25% off. If the bags are 50% more than they used to be and you get 25% off with the code, you feel like you're getting a good deal but they still get to have a small price increase. I think that's fair
Can you post a link? The only discount I see is for military or ex-military
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Mark Finley wrote:looks like this sale is over

https://www.facebook.com/GlennCronkhite ... 4839878176" target="_blank" target="_blank
Code still works as of today...Pushed me over the edge, thanks a lot.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

kmorgancraw wrote:
Mark Finley wrote:looks like this sale is over

https://www.facebook.com/GlennCronkhite ... 8176/quote" target="_blank]

Code still works as of today...Pushed me over the edge, thanks a lot.
Lucky you - no longer valid today (I almost bought one).

Pushed me back onto the edge :cry:
ufoneum
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ufoneum »

Keep in mind that manufacturers prices reflect the full direct-to-consumer retail price. Normally dealers will purchase at their discounted price and then undercut the manufacturer so you will buy from them. This is industry standard practice. Dealers will always be the cheapest (not necessarily the most direct) way to get a bag. Many manufacturers will not sell to individuals, although with new ownership it seems they are going to do that. I'm not sure how their dealers feel with them running 'sales' to the general public. Usually that's frowned upon.
Assistant Prof. of Music - Kentucky Wesleyan College (Owensboro, KY)
Buffet Crampon and Besson Performing Artist
Conductor, River Brass Band (Evansville, IN)
Treasurer, International Tuba Euphonium Association
facebook.com/stuckemeyer
patstuckemeyer.com
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Interesting. Guess I never really thought through it, but in general if there's a way to avoid having to go through a dealer, I usually try to do that. Cut out the middle-man...
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

ufoneum wrote:Keep in mind that manufacturers prices reflect the full direct-to-consumer retail price. Normally dealers will purchase at their discounted price and then undercut the manufacturer so you will buy from them. This is industry standard practice. Dealers will always be the cheapest (not necessarily the most direct) way to get a bag. Many manufacturers will not sell to individuals, although with new ownership it seems they are going to do that. I'm not sure how their dealers feel with them running 'sales' to the general public. Usually that's frowned upon.
Not in this case (no pun intended). Glenn's direct price was, generally speaking, about the same as (or even a little less than) it was from the various retailers that carried his products (I've bought several, and each time I price-matched before purchase). In such situations, all things being equal, I prefer to go to the source for several reasons, including my desire (as Bort said) to have as much as possible of the money go to the person who actually made the item, and in Glenn's particular case, a very nice fellow to do business with.

As far as the new owner having a sale is concerned, I hope they do - I missed the last one ( :cry: )
Bass Flatulance
bugler
bugler

Post by Bass Flatulance »

Smart manufacturers wholesale to dealers so they can spend their time making product instead of fielding stupid phone calls from "tire kickers".
Poor old tubist
Sad old tuba
Should have never sold my Huttl
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Bass Flatulance wrote:Smart manufacturers wholesale to dealers so they can spend their time making product instead of fielding stupid phone calls from "tire kickers".
....and stupid phone calls from stupid tire-kickers (a.k.a. "consumers") who want to give them the opportunity to earn full retail for their stupid products.
Last edited by roweenie on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chronolith
4 valves
4 valves

Post by chronolith »

I've had two Cronkhite bags and in both cases I removed the clip at the bottom of the strap and replaced it with two heavy duty locking carabiners bought from the local REI shop. Maybe 30 bucks. Snug fit. And the shape of the carabiner means that the straps can naturally angle away from center around you without the "bias" that those clips introduce which either slip sideways or pinch the stap loop itself into an unnatural shape which could introduce a weak point over time.

Also, like a good Cronkhite case, you can get them in your choice of colors.

https://www.rei.com/product/111170/petz ... -carabiner" target="_blank
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Still loving my Gotz bag. Seems like a bargain now!
tubacorbin
bugler
bugler

Post by tubacorbin »

bort wrote:Still loving my Gotz bag. Seems like a bargain now!
+1. Great bags. And they say on their website they can make a side-loading bag too. The next bag I order will probably be from them.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

tubacorbin wrote:
bort wrote:Still loving my Gotz bag. Seems like a bargain now!
+1. Great bags. And they say on their website they can make a side-loading bag too. The next bag I order will probably be from them.
I didn't know this - thanks for letting us know :tuba:

I've got (what I think is) a Götz bag (it has "Meinl-Weston" stenciled on it) for my 4J, and the quality is very good. If they make a side-loader too, that might change things (at least $300 less expensive than the new Cronkhite price) considerably.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Promo Code: "Gobble" 15% off through Monday.... :tuba:
Oldschooltuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Oldschooltuba »

Don,

I have had great luck with a boot and saddle maker. Small local shop. Oh....Long Island.....lots of cowboys there?
Eric Hunter
http://www.tubaforum.net/index.php" target="_blank
186CC 5U (gone)
Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC (gone)
Silver CC Piggy (gone)
Meinl Weston F Model 45 (Gone)
B&S 5/4 CC Prototype
Yamaha 822F
York 6/4 CC (yes a real York BAT)