Willson 3200 FA-5 (or the XL) Owners

The bulk of the musical talk
KyleRichter
bugler
bugler

Re: Willson 3200 FA-5 (or the XL) Owners

Post by KyleRichter »

Messina Covers based out of Louisville seems to be a similar concept side-loader like the Cronkhites. They custom make each bag according to your measurements. I haven't seen their bags besides ones made for string basses, but they seem worth checking out.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

I have purchased three bags from Messina Covers. Each has been custom made to the measurements that I provided to David Messina and his team. The horns are a MW 2145 CC, a King "Symphony" Recording Bass and a Holton 98 "Mammoth". The bags fit perfectly and are very well made out of cordura and foam. There are two pockets on the outside of the horn, one for smaller items like a mouthpiece and valve oil, pencils, etc and the other in which several large folders of music will fit. The shoulder straps are strong and have cushioning. There is a varied colour selection and custom embroidering is available as well. Messina Covers can be found on the web and also on Facebook. David Messina has been excellent to work with and is very prompt in providing customer service. I am now looking at purchasing a custom made sousaphone bag from him. He is based in Louisville, Kentucky.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

I bought a Cronkhite leather bag made for a Willson 3400 and it fit my Kurath perfectly. My professor in my masters program said he had his 3200XL in one made for a Kodiak.

Hopefully that helps. I can see if I have photos I can link to for you.

Edit: I don't have any as I no longer own the horn, but both bags were if the quality you would expect from a Cronkhite bag.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

the elephant wrote:Are the 3200 and the 3400 the same size??? I always thought that the 3400 Eb was wider than the big Willson F. That is great to know! And the Kodiak bag will fit on the horn, too? I think they have that one listed. They have the 3400 and one for the 3200 rotary - not sure what the differences are, if any beyond how much room is needed by the valve tops versus the rotary paddle rack...

I will look into both these bags (3400 and Kodiak). If you *do* come across any photos (even in the near future) please PM me; I understand totally if you don't, though.

Thanks!

Wade
I thought the same anout the two models, but the Willson website lists the same height and bell diameter for both the 3400FA5 and the 3200FA5 XL, so I took the chance and it fit perfectly. If I come across any pics, I'll pass then along.

Best of luck getting a case!
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

My apologies.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb