Purviance mouthpieces

The bulk of the musical talk
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Purviance mouthpieces

Post by Ace »

In the 1950's I was studying trumpet with some Los Angeles film studio musicians and was introduced to a then popular line of mouthpieces custom made in the Sunset Blvd shop of Carroll Purviance. I'm probably wrong, but at that time it seemed almost a "requirement" to play Purviance mouthpieces on the locally-made (Burbank) Benge trumpets. Purviance made mouthpieces for trumpet, cornet, French horn, trombone and bass trombone. The Rudy Muck thread on this site caused me to wonder if Carroll Purviance made tuba mouthpieces. If so, I'd buy one just for reasons of nostalgia.

Ace
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Purviance mouthpieces

Post by royjohn »

The Purviance mantle was taken up by Bob Reeves, he of the precision valve alignment (PVA). I believe Bob makes some mpcs which are reproductions of the old Purviance designs. Since Purviance trained him, he'd probably be the one to ask about this. http://www.bobreeves.com
royjohn
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

? . . . I went to Bob Reeves shop with a trumpet player friend in the middle 1970's and he wasn't a young person then by any means.
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Post by royjohn »

At Bob Reeves' blog, I see pictures of him with various trumpet players in 2013...beyond that IDK. I had always seen him referred to (in recent years) as a person rather than a business name and assumed he was still alive. At any rate, the folks at his business should know more about Purviance than most other folks. In Purviance's bio on the Reeves site it is mentioned that he made mouthpieces for horn and trombone, but tuba isn't mentioned... :?:
royjohn
royjohn