Lessons from the world of automobiles

The bulk of the musical talk
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Lessons from the world of automobiles

Post by iiipopes »

Donn wrote:Just play, and no additional effort between f and fff, because you bought a tuba that goes to fff? I don't think so.
The musical component equivalent of the automobile is the electronic amplifier. (And I sure do not need one that goes to 11!)
You know what I mean: I can concentrate on the music and put the required physicality into it in a manner that is not materially obstructed by the tuba or any quirks of response or intonation (although all musical instruments do have their individual ideosyncracies), but rather facilitates the music, so that the effort is efficiently applied, just like certain modifications that help a car drive better.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

If you wanna have some fun, sometimes you gotta go race.
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

There´s a further twist to the subject, in Addition to the arms race.
It fits the OP´s original question better, because he referred to musical execution rather than Equipment.
It fully suits the analogy, in my opinion, but might support a concept most of us will oppose:

- if I never am allowed to play above c (and already can do do so comfortably ´cause I can reach c1), there´s no point in woodshedding for c2.
- if all literature my band puts on my stand is about Polka, Waltz and March, there´s no use in honing my Craft Encounters II - Interpretation.

Is THAT what the OP is suggesting ?

My personal choice of car to ride in the States would fit these specs:
- 100 mph is enough.
- about 120-140 hp is enough.
- good Stereo System and loads of Music files to not go nuts during long distance rides and continuous Radio-Ga-Ga.
- best seats on the market, including upright sitting position, massage-function and stream of well temperated air passing through upholstery.
Something like a good van comes to my mind.

To me, Diesel is technically superior to Otto, despite the Emission-subject.
(More torque at low revs than Otto-engine of same power, better deceleration before curves / downhill, better gas mileage).
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

he referred to musical execution rather than Equipment.
Yes I have heard the reason why the car goes 100 (even though I never use it that way), and heard it compared to preparing one's self musically.

This comparison would be expressed by demanding the practice of a large range of pitches, over as many tempos and dynamics as the player can handle.

Just speeding up and slowing down familiar material is a simple way to get started on the concept.
MORE AIR
dwerden
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwerden »

dwerden wrote:In a presentation by John Fletcher many years ago he discussed the tendency to want larger and larger tubas. He actually used the car comparison himself. As I recall he said something like this:

People say they want a car with lots of power...not that they need it often, but just so it is there when they DO need it. The problem is that once you have all that power you tend to use it most of the time. It's the same with really large instruments.
Here is the excerpt with that quote. It is part of a longer presentation by John Fletcher that I'll make available in the next week or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ7Jk81sCkU
Dave Werden (ASCAP)
www.dwerden.com
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

dwerden wrote:
dwerden wrote:In a presentation by John Fletcher many years ago he discussed the tendency to want larger and larger tubas. He actually used the car comparison himself. As I recall he said something like this:

People say they want a car with lots of power...not that they need it often, but just so it is there when they DO need it. The problem is that once you have all that power you tend to use it most of the time. It's the same with really large instruments.
Here is the excerpt with that quote. It is part of a longer presentation by John Fletcher that I'll make available in the next week or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ7Jk81sCkU
I cannot wait to hear that entire presentation!
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
groth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by groth »

PaulMaybery wrote:Do you then need a CDL to drive a BAT?
Are there any "hybrid" tubas out there?
(Players seem to not have an issue with blending alcohol)
What about "bio diesel"
Does a euphonium or tenor tuba need "recreational gas?"
How fast from pedal CCC to c?

These and other questions are now raging through what little mind I have left after inhaling so much gas.
CDL to drive a BAT LOL!! Good one. How about the mandatory "air brake" endorsement?
OffuttTubaGuy
lurker
lurker

Post by OffuttTubaGuy »

I’ve been using the speed-limit analogy for a few years now, especially during the routine practice of scales, arpeggios, lip slurs, or anything under the general heading of “warm-up.”. I’m sure most players would agree that trying to play too fast too soon only leads to sloppy, tension filled results. Capping the speed (for me) stopped my endless pursuit of trying to play these things faster. My person top speed limit is 96 ppm/sixteenth notes regarding those daily routine items. It’s actually rare that I ever have to faster than that anyway, but when I need to, it’s now easier than ever, I think because precision has replaced speed as the quest. So, yes, the phrases like “speed kills” that we learned in Driver’s Education do apply to music.
Alex J. Serwatowski
Principal Tubist, USAF Heartland of America Band
Artist Faculty, University of Nebraska at Omaha
Mark

Post by Mark »

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

In cars, I think of handling, speed, comfort and styling. The tuba analogy would be how does the horn fit me and my needs. For handling, is it easy blowing, slots well, and has good intonation throughout the range. Next how well can I manage 16th (or 32nd) notes when necessary along with big range jumps. How well does it fit me, meaning, is it comfortable to play and transport. Can I play it for several hours if necessary (yes, this happens on a few occasions each year.) Lastly, does it look nice and have the tone color that matches the group, situation and style of music.

Depending on the situation, I maintain that you can have one horn that does most of these things well all the time, especially for the most common use. It is better to have several horns, or several vehicles, that excel at some things so you can choose the best option for the situation. Sometimes you need a sports car and sometime you need a pick up truck.
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5