Major Intonation Issues Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Major Intonation Issues

Postby lost » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 am

royjohn wrote:lost wrote
you might want to let another tuba player try it to see if they experience the problem and report back here.

This was suggested earlier in this thread and the OP has yet to report back....

By you no less! The thread has some tangents so trying to focus it back to solutions.
lost

Postby swillafew » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:50 pm

The thread has some tangents

Like every other thread.

:(
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Postby barry grrr-ero » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Getting a teacher or reliable, experienced cohorts to have a look is a good idea. But suggesting that someone should fool with their embouchure, isn't.
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby ghmerrill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 am

Yeah, whoever made the suggestion to fool with the embouchure should be flayed. Where is that guy? Looks like his post got deleted. :roll:
Gary Merrill

Wessex EEb tuba (Wick 3XL)
Amati oval euph (DE LN106J6Es)
Mack Brass comp euph (DE LN106J9)
Buescher 1924 Eb, TU-17
Schiller bass trombone (DE LB/J/J9/Lexan 110, Brass Ark MV50R)
Olds '47 Standard trombone (Olds 3, and modified Kelly 12c)
ghmerrill
4 valves
4 valves

Postby nworbekim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 am

the reason i asked about the size of the horns... i've had students switch to larger instruments and for a while everything they blow is sharp. it goes away when they get used to it. but i guess y'all know that already... just spinning the wheels a little.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby Tampaworth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:14 am

nworbekim wrote:the reason i asked about the size of the horns... i've had students switch to larger instruments and for a while everything they blow is sharp. it goes away when they get used to it. but i guess y'all know that already... just spinning the wheels a little.

My experience exactly on the student and amateur side, especially if moving to Tuba from other higher pitched brass. More air, with relaxation, is an acquired skill.
2014 Wisemann 900 / 2013 Mack 410 / 1970? Conn 2j / 1909 King H.N. White Helicon
Tampaworth
bugler
bugler

Postby swillafew » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:02 am

If you play with another person who is sharp all the time, you may become just as sharp as they are. Since this is so common, some vigilance is required.
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 am

swillafew wrote:If you play with another person who is sharp all the time, you may become just as sharp as they are. Since this is so common, some vigilance is required.

Surely, after a short time (or - at the most - "a season or two") that would come to an end (even if for remuneration). I like remuneration, but I generally don't seek it in exchange for "my own pain and suffering".

I recall (decades ago) being hired (as a university only had a "faculty brass quartet" - as there was some "tiff" going on, apparently) to perform a brass quintet piece for some "new music" festival. The trombonist (teacher at the university) played 40 c. sharp - (apparently?) always, and the trumpets and horn were following suit. My F tuba (at that time, not an "antique" as it is today) was/is "just" capable of being pushed up to A=442 (well shy of 40 c. higher than A=440). I said nothing, but (admittedly, probably) was smiling (poker-faced) with closed lips.
...I was paid for the contracted rehearsals and performance, but the performance was cancelled.

bloke "just a bit like a group of people conversing, with one person speaking Chicago-English and the others speaking Pidgin-English" :lol:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby joshlee » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:05 am

In an attempt to be helpful I would recommend trying a longer tuning slide. If you can't blow the fundamental in tune that's an issue. Don't spend a ton of time trying to lip every note into the proper place because you'll end up physically micro managing the mechanics of it all. Could you be over blowing? Maybe, but if you've played for trusted teachers that is something they should have picked up on. Don't waste your time blaming yourself if you given yourself ample time to get the swing of it.
joshlee
lurker
lurker

Postby royjohn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:09 am

The OP noted in another thread that he previously played a school-owned Yamaha 321 BBb. Does this qualify as appreciably smaller than the TU210?
royjohn
royjohn
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:35 am

royjohn wrote:The OP noted in another thread that he previously played a school-owned Yamaha 321 BBb. Does this qualify as appreciably smaller than the TU210?

The 210 is wrapped up tighter (to me: classifies as "piggy"), but seems - otherwise - to be about the same size, and within the same (roughly speaking) bore size range (.728" vs. .768").

(I haven't followed this thread...' only responding to last post.)
bloke

Postby NCSUSousa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:56 pm

bloke wrote:
royjohn wrote:The OP noted in another thread that he previously played a school-owned Yamaha 321 BBb. Does this qualify as appreciably smaller than the TU210?

The 210 is wrapped up tighter (to me: classifies as "piggy"), but seems - otherwise - to be about the same size, and within the same (roughly speaking) bore size range (.728" vs. .768").

(I haven't followed this thread...' only responding to last post.)

Agreed. The YBB321 is a full size tuba. The TU210 is a few inches shorter (bell to bottom bow), and is also a full size tuba.
I don't put much into bore size, especially comparing instruments with totally different layouts like these 2. The bells are comparable and both normal sized.
BBb Tuba with 4 Rotors - TE-2110 (Ask me anything about this tuba) + TE Rose Mouthpiece
I earn my living as an Electrical Engineer.
NCSUSousa
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:03 pm

The two tubas would probably hold - very roughly - the same amount of water.
Just fwiw, the cylindrical tubing of the Yamaha is about 95% of the area of that of the 210.
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet