Wessex XL rotary BBb Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Wessex XL rotary BBb

Postby anonymous4 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:05 pm

Does anyone have more information about this tuba? From reading on the forum, it would seem that there are a few known knowns:

1. It is big.
2. It is special order only since demand was low.
3. It's removable bell could fit on an old Martin.

What I would like to know is exactly how "XL" is this tuba. 5/4? 6/4? What is the inspiration for the design? It makes me think of the old Bill Bell Kings. Is the price accurate on the webpage, or is it different now that it is a "special order" tuba? Finally, has anyone played on one, and if so, thoughts?

Thanks!
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Re: Wessex XL rotary BBb

Postby bloke » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:41 pm

From what I see via google images, to me (??) it kinda looks like an extra-valve Jinbao 210 - except with a vertical tuning slide - which shortens the small end of the instrument, thus allowing for a taller and more expansive (in this instance: detachable) bell.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby YORK-aholic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:10 am

I can't imagine it being much like a Bill Bell King. The rotary CC Kings have a bore of .687 (.689) and a bell tenon of 6 5/16" diameter whereas the Martin Mammoth bell tenon (and thus the Wessex XL tenon) is 7 7/8" diameter.

Bell model Kings are similar size to the detachable bell King 1241/2341. The bells interchange.
Some old Yorks and Martins
YORK-aholic
4 valves
4 valves

Postby EdFirth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:14 am

The BBb rotary Kings are a lot larger than the C's and sport a .750 bore.The bell tenon is a little smaller than a Martin Mammoth. I own one of each. Fun horns. Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
3 valves
3 valves

Postby TheGoyWonder » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:29 pm

I like the look of it, very Kaiser.
But wary of the underlying JB 210.
solid 5/4 size...although it has 6/4 bell the body is not as fat as American 6/4.
TheGoyWonder
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Wyvern » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:37 pm

The TB576 XL is inspired by the old King's. It is based on the body of the TB575 Luzern, but with different taper in that it enlarges quicker with larger size bell. I would call it 5/4 size. They do play well. one professional who play tested said he preferred to his orchestra's Fafner and he thought it would be ideal for playing Prokofiev. One is being played professionally in the Band of the Blues and Royals in London.

On the debit side, other people find them too heavy, particularly with the extra weight of the bell collar.

All of the XL had Wessex Z valves, so nice reliable valves.

Sales of these have been slow, so I have decided to discontinue from stocking - although one lacquer example remains at the Michigan store. We did think it was sold, but the buyers fiancé had other ideas :wink:
See our fantastic new website at www.Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas

Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Postby edsel585960 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Wyvern wrote:The TB576 XL is inspired by the old King's. It is based on the body of the TB575 Luzern, but with different taper in that it enlarges quicker with larger size bell. I would call it 5/4 size. They do play well. one professional who play tested said he preferred to his orchestra's Fafner and he thought it would be ideal for playing Prokofiev. One is being played professionally in the Band of the Blues and Royals in London.

On the debit side, other people find them too heavy, particularly with the extra weight of the bell collar.

All of the XL had Wessex Z valves, so nice reliable valves.

Sales of these have been slow, so I have decided to discontinue from stocking - although one lacquer example remains at the Michigan store. We did think it was sold, but the buyers fiancé had other ideas :wink:
Road trip to MI. :D
20-21 J
22 J
Olds 99
26 K, Wessex Mighty Midget, Cerveny 693, Mirafone 186, MW 20
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Postby WakinAZ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Jonathan, you came close with the XL but there's a lot of us out here looking for a quality large 6/4 rotary Kaiser at a better price point than the European makers offer.
Eric "noting large BBbs are back in vogue"
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Return to TubeNet