French C tuba vs contrabass tuba Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

French C tuba vs contrabass tuba

Postby Ace » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Here's an interesting video of a small ensemble playing Pictures excerpt, first with contrabass tuba and then with small French C tuba. I much prefer the big horn. It must have been a pain for olden day players to wrestle with the small C tuba.

https://youtu.be/-SFBH0lFCIw?t=57

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: French C tuba vs contrabass tuba

Postby barry grrr-ero » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Actually, I'm quite amazed that the low notes are as good as they are on what's a essentially a big euphonium in C with lots of valves and tubing. It sounds pretty well in tune also. I'm impressed.
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby joshealejo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:42 pm

That is the great work of Mr. UncleBeer. It sounds really great, he has another video playig Bydlo using that Couesnon bass saxhorn, souds great also!

It would be great to have more examples of music played side by side with "nowdays" CC tuba and french bass saxhorn (Please do It Mr. UncleBeer)
Last edited by joshealejo on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F B&S 56 AFT
CC Holton 345 cutted by Matt Walters
Bb Marzan frontal compensating Euphonium
joshealejo
bugler
bugler

Postby the elephant » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Impressive! Thanks for sharing. I, in turn, have posted it on FB.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby UncleBeer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 pm

That's Dr. UncleBeer! That recital pulled me over the DMA finish line. Now I have a piece of paper that says I can play an essentially obsolete instrument. :lol:

For those who are interested (pretty sure I've put these links up before), here is the French Orchestre National de la RTF in 1961 playing Pictures, using the French tuba for the entire piece: https://youtu.be/rp-vIzUbK-c

And here is a modern performance of the Rite using two French tubas: https://youtu.be/rq1q6u3mLSM
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby KiltieTuba » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 pm

I thought it sounded better on the French C tuba.

Funny, though, the trombones are a modern/louder version than when the French C tuba was used frequently. Perhaps, if the trombones had changed to a smaller bored instrument it would have helped the sound?
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 pm

I preferred it on the French instrument. What brand and model is it, and what mouthpiece did you find worked the best?
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby barry grrr-ero » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:39 pm

My question is this: is there a recording of "Pictures" - presumably with a French orchestra - in which you can really hear the French 'petite tuba' in C played well?
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby UncleBeer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 pm

KiltieTuba wrote:
Funny, though, the trombones are a modern/louder version than when the French C tuba was used frequently. Perhaps, if the trombones had changed to a smaller bored instrument it would have helped the sound?

Modern 'bones though are not twice as long as their predecessors though, as is the case of the CC BAT and the French tuba the whole piece was written for.
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby TheGoyWonder » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:09 pm

I think the trombones balanced down for the little one. It did pretty okay...but I'd guess a regular comp euph on a bass bone mouthpiece would do about the same.
TheGoyWonder
3 valves
3 valves

Postby barry grrr-ero » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:29 am

. . . yes, and it's one thing to play as a section in an empty room, it's quite another to play with the entire orchestra - percussion and trumpets included - in a hall full of audience members. That's why the tuba gods created 5/4 and 6/4 tubas.
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Casca Grossa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Is there a recording of this instrument with brass quintet? ;-)
Mack-a-clone 186 "Chairman Mao"
Blokepiece Imperial #2 Fair Dinkum Profundo Rim
Why have 3 valves when you can have 6 and a main tuning slide kicker???
Casca Grossa
3 valves
3 valves

Postby ken k » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:20 pm

how would this horn compare to a euphonium? Is the sound comparable, intonation?

It would seem to me that there are many more quality euphs made nowadays than CC tenor tubas.
Miraphone Norwegian Stsar Eb tuba
B&H Imperial Eb tuba
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
1990 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
2001 Mazda Miata
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Postby hrender » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:19 pm

KiltieTuba wrote:I thought it sounded better on the French C tuba.

+1
hal.
hrender
5 valves
5 valves

Postby UncleBeer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:49 pm

barry grrr-ero wrote:. . . yes, and it's one thing to play as a section in an empty room, it's quite another to play with the entire orchestra - percussion and trumpets included - in a hall full of audience members. That's why the tuba gods created 5/4 and 6/4 tubas.

Mmmm, no. I used this instrument for years with my orchestra when playing French repertoire. It balances just fine.
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby southtubist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Nice playing- I really liked the French tuba! It's like an old mountain howitzer- lots of firepower but in a surprisingly small package! I bet Bydlo is a little easier too!

Also, this shows that sound concept rules. You still sound like the same guy on both horns, and you also still sound plenty big on that little French tuba. Most untrained listeners wouldn't notice the difference.
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Postby PaulMaybery » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:44 am

Carl, you make a very convincing argument for using the French tuba, and it does make sense on the appropriate French pieces. We are going on a similar trip these days with the cimbasso. And of course we have all the pros and cons. All that aside, if you have one, play it as well as your main instrument, then by all means use it where it was intended. From what I understand a certain company maybe coming out with a 6 valver in C sometime soon.
I suppose one in Bb might be more practical as many of us tuba freaks already play the euph. That would drastically reduce the learning curve, thus perhaps it might get used more often. But thanks so much for doing that recital.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:04 am

Great players (French tubas, ophicleides, serpents, contrabass trombones, or what-have-you), who are also familiar with the instruments, time-spent-wise, are the best for demonstrating (playable versions of) instruments with which most players of related-modern instruments are not familiar.

Instruments of antiquity end up with a bad rap when (ex.) musicologists demonstrate them in a classroom, on a stage, or via youtube.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby hrender » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:41 am

bloke wrote:Instruments of antiquity end up with a bad rap when (ex.) musicologists demonstrate them in a classroom, on a stage, or via youtube.

There is no instrument so good that it can't be played badly.
hal.
hrender
5 valves
5 valves

Postby the elephant » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:46 am

Agreed. Only people who have figured out historical instruments ought to be posting examples of how they play. There are some hilarious examples of people who can barely play contemporary instruments trying to play the ancient stuff, then commenting on how lousy they play. An expert, however, can actually demonstrate why the instrument was used in the first place. Case in point:

the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Next

Return to TubeNet