French C tuba vs contrabass tuba Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: French C tuba vs contrabass tuba

Postby UncleBeer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:01 pm

PaulMaybery wrote:I suppose one in Bb might be more practical as many of us tuba freaks already play the euph. That would drastically reduce the learning curve

Most of us are fluent in CC, so just reading up an octave is easier than you'd think!

PaulMaybery wrote: From what I understand a certain company maybe coming out with a 6 valver in C sometime soon.

I understand it will be suspiciously similar to my instrument! :lol:
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby DouglasJB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Any time frame on a production model?
5V 6/4 Cerveny 691
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves

Postby UncleBeer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:44 pm

DouglasJB wrote:Any time frame on a production model?

Jonathan might be able to answer.
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby PaulMaybery » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:27 pm

UncleBeer wrote:Most of us are fluent in CC, so just reading up an octave is easier than you'd think!

I'll take you at your word, Carl.

We'll see next year when it hits the streets and I can give it an audition. :tuba:

If it's as good as the other newer models in the Wessex line, it will more than likely be a great player.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Ace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 pm

bloke wrote:Great players (French tubas, ophicleides, serpents, contrabass trombones, or what-have-you), who are also familiar with the instruments, time-spent-wise, are the best for demonstrating (playable versions of) instruments with which most players of related-modern instruments are not familiar.

Instruments of antiquity end up with a bad rap when (ex.) musicologists demonstrate them in a classroom, on a stage, or via youtube.

Good point, Joe. I think this serpent player would meet the definition of great.

https://youtu.be/n-Sbq-XL_VU

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Dubby » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 am

https://youtu.be/lZzr4xXPeyw and yet another great rendition to add to the list (but no French C tuba)
King Frankenhorn 2341
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Postby UncleBeer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Dubby wrote:https://youtu.be/lZzr4xXPeyw and yet another great rendition to add to the list (but no French C tuba)

That's Patrick Wibart on serpent. Truly fantastic playing! He's part of the saxhorn quartet called Opus333. If you haven't heard their stuff, you should! https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=opus333
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Donn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:14 am

I'm sure a fan. Their saxhorns are about the same length, but not as fat? Their low end seems leaner.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Snake Charmer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am

They are playing the modern version of the french Saxhorn Basse in Bb, these are compensated like the euphonium but less wide. So they are much more versatile in tone and colour. It is interesting that the ensemble switched from the Courtois (with the thumb-operated trombone-style tuning slide) to the Willson Willsax in the newer recordings. This is a nice playing instrument, but very uncomfortable to hold, having the fourth valve not longer between main bow and valve tubing.
But back to the french C tuba: I am looking forward for new built instruments, but there will be a lot of disappointed buyers afterwards. It may look like any brass instrument, but playing euphonium means not being able to PLAY a french C. I have a very nice picture of Brian Bowman playing my Courtois C, looking very embarassed about his sound. And he had his own mouthpiece... You have to spend the same time on it for the right sound and clarity as you would need for taming the ophicleide. Because it is just a better Ophicleide...
It would be interesting to have a C/Bb version like Couesnon offered with their "swan-neck", pictured on title of Clifford Bevan's Tuba Family, first edition. The character of the instruments changes totally with the extension.
Keep on blowing!
Helmut
Snake Charmer
lurker
lurker

Postby barry grrr-ero » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:33 am

Very interesting, thank you. You can certainly hear the four bassoons in the lower octave.

What I take from that video is that the brass have that bright and 'immediate' sound - generally associated with the French - yet the string parts sound more prominent because they're not got buried over by powerful 'modern' brass. Is that a fair assessment?
barry grrr-ero
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Snake Charmer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes, that's right. With one of those "pea-shooter"-trombones or the narrow-bore piston french horns (the french french horn!) you would be unheard in a modern orchestra's brass group. I tried it once as second trombone in a Schumann symphonie, the first didn't use the alto but a Bach 42. He had to play my solo...
Snake Charmer
lurker
lurker

Previous

Return to TubeNet