French C tuba vs contrabass tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

French C tuba vs contrabass tuba

Post by Ace »

Here's an interesting video of a small ensemble playing Pictures excerpt, first with contrabass tuba and then with small French C tuba. I much prefer the big horn. It must have been a pain for olden day players to wrestle with the small C tuba.

https://youtu.be/-SFBH0lFCIw?t=57" target="_blank

Ace
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Re: French C tuba vs contrabass tuba

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Actually, I'm quite amazed that the low notes are as good as they are on what's a essentially a big euphonium in C with lots of valves and tubing. It sounds pretty well in tune also. I'm impressed.
joshealejo
3 valves
3 valves

Post by joshealejo »

That is the great work of Mr. UncleBeer. It sounds really great, he has another video playig Bydlo using that Couesnon bass saxhorn, souds great also!

It would be great to have more examples of music played side by side with "nowdays" CC tuba and french bass saxhorn (Please do It Mr. UncleBeer)
Last edited by joshealejo on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some stuff
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

That's Dr. UncleBeer! That recital pulled me over the DMA finish line. Now I have a piece of paper that says I can play an essentially obsolete instrument. :lol:

For those who are interested (pretty sure I've put these links up before), here is the French Orchestre National de la RTF in 1961 playing Pictures, using the French tuba for the entire piece: https://youtu.be/rp-vIzUbK-c" target="_blank

And here is a modern performance of the Rite using two French tubas: https://youtu.be/rq1q6u3mLSM" target="_blank
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

My question is this: is there a recording of "Pictures" - presumably with a French orchestra - in which you can really hear the French 'petite tuba' in C played well?
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

KiltieTuba wrote:
Funny, though, the trombones are a modern/louder version than when the French C tuba was used frequently. Perhaps, if the trombones had changed to a smaller bored instrument it would have helped the sound?
Modern 'bones though are not twice as long as their predecessors though, as is the case of the CC BAT and the French tuba the whole piece was written for.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

I think the trombones balanced down for the little one. It did pretty okay...but I'd guess a regular comp euph on a bass bone mouthpiece would do about the same.
barry grrr-ero
4 valves
4 valves

Post by barry grrr-ero »

. . . yes, and it's one thing to play as a section in an empty room, it's quite another to play with the entire orchestra - percussion and trumpets included - in a hall full of audience members. That's why the tuba gods created 5/4 and 6/4 tubas.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

how would this horn compare to a euphonium? Is the sound comparable, intonation?

It would seem to me that there are many more quality euphs made nowadays than CC tenor tubas.
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

barry grrr-ero wrote:. . . yes, and it's one thing to play as a section in an empty room, it's quite another to play with the entire orchestra - percussion and trumpets included - in a hall full of audience members. That's why the tuba gods created 5/4 and 6/4 tubas.
Mmmm, no. I used this instrument for years with my orchestra when playing French repertoire. It balances just fine.
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

Nice playing- I really liked the French tuba! It's like an old mountain howitzer- lots of firepower but in a surprisingly small package! I bet Bydlo is a little easier too!

Also, this shows that sound concept rules. You still sound like the same guy on both horns, and you also still sound plenty big on that little French tuba. Most untrained listeners wouldn't notice the difference.
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

Carl, you make a very convincing argument for using the French tuba, and it does make sense on the appropriate French pieces. We are going on a similar trip these days with the cimbasso. And of course we have all the pros and cons. All that aside, if you have one, play it as well as your main instrument, then by all means use it where it was intended. From what I understand a certain company maybe coming out with a 6 valver in C sometime soon.
I suppose one in Bb might be more practical as many of us tuba freaks already play the euph. That would drastically reduce the learning curve, thus perhaps it might get used more often. But thanks so much for doing that recital.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

PaulMaybery wrote: I suppose one in Bb might be more practical as many of us tuba freaks already play the euph. That would drastically reduce the learning curve
Most of us are fluent in CC, so just reading up an octave is easier than you'd think!
PaulMaybery wrote: From what I understand a certain company maybe coming out with a 6 valver in C sometime soon.
I understand it will be suspiciously similar to my instrument! :lol:
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Post by DouglasJB »

Any time frame on a production model?
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

DouglasJB wrote:Any time frame on a production model?
Jonathan might be able to answer.
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Post by PaulMaybery »

UncleBeer wrote: Most of us are fluent in CC, so just reading up an octave is easier than you'd think!
I'll take you at your word, Carl.

We'll see next year when it hits the streets and I can give it an audition. :tuba:

If it's as good as the other newer models in the Wessex line, it will more than likely be a great player.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

bloke wrote:Great players (French tubas, ophicleides, serpents, contrabass trombones, or what-have-you), who are also familiar with the instruments, time-spent-wise, are the best for demonstrating (playable versions of) instruments with which most players of related-modern instruments are not familiar.

Instruments of antiquity end up with a bad rap when (ex.) musicologists demonstrate them in a classroom, on a stage, or via youtube.
Good point, Joe. I think this serpent player would meet the definition of great.

https://youtu.be/n-Sbq-XL_VU" target="_blank

Ace
Dubby
bugler
bugler

Post by Dubby »

https://youtu.be/lZzr4xXPeyw and yet another great rendition to add to the list (but no French C tuba)
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Dubby wrote:https://youtu.be/lZzr4xXPeyw and yet another great rendition to add to the list (but no French C tuba)
That's Patrick Wibart on serpent. Truly fantastic playing! He's part of the saxhorn quartet called Opus333. If you haven't heard their stuff, you should! https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=opus333
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

I'm sure a fan. Their saxhorns are about the same length, but not as fat? Their low end seems leaner.