The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Testing the theory that a break makes you better

Postby nworbekim » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:16 pm

bloke wrote:- physical recovery
- fresh start
- bad habits not reinforced for 1, 2, 3, 4 weeks or more
- reset
- reevaluation

i think a break can be of significant value, provided the return uses the recipe set forth above.

in college, i always felt like i had a little surge of improvement after breaks between terms... not the very first rehearsal... but after a few days of the above - reset - reevaluation, i'd refocus on fundamentals and try to rid myself of problems i'd allowed to creep in.

this last break was a couple of decades and it gave me the opportunity to reset from scratch. i re-began myself as i would any other beginning student, going through all of the very same procedures and exercises, and after a couple of years of concentration, i'm playing things i would wish i could play during college. hmmm, maybe i should take another few years off ;-)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby Bill Troiano » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:22 pm

About 5 years ago, I had Mohs surgery for skin cancer on my lip. I had to take off 8 weeks from playing. When I returned to playing, I approached it the way Joe mentions above. I didn't play too much the first few days and I didn't blow my head off. I just played basic exercises and basic routine material and evaluated myself. All went very well. I didn't have to blow my head off for about a week after I returned to playing.

At the end of this Oct. into early Nov., I'm having cataract surgery on both eyes. Doc told me I couldn't play for a week after each surgery. I'll have the first one done. Then, I have 9 days until a gig which is a 3 hour wedding reception with my trad. jazz band. I'll be playing sousaphone. I'm thinking that on day 7 and /or 8 after surgery, I can do some light playing.Then, I have the gig and I'll just guard myself against playing too loud. A mic is possible, I think.

6 days after that gig, I'll have the other eye done. I currently don't have anything scheduled to play until 2 weeks after that one.

I'll post an update (if I can see the computer.)
Bill Troiano
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Michael Bush » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Lots of good thinking here.

I showed up at the band rehearsal tonight just to say hello and see my old HS band director for a few minutes. Hopefully I'll be playing next Thursday.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Postby bloke » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:04 am

I have posted too much already in this thread… Which is not unusual :( ... but I have one more analogy to offer:

Your computer is just not running like it should. You've run all the anti-bot and antivirus programs, you have deleted all history, and you have deleted all cookies… Yet it is still screwy. Finally, you remember the universal solution: Turn the damn thing off, and then turn it back on after a while. Voilà! Everything is as it should be.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby iiipopes » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 am

I had to take a few weeks off for some dental work. I agree. A fresh approach and the opportunity to look at things new again, including the disposal of acquired bad habits from playing too much, was refreshing and helped my playing.

The down side is my endurance is down, and I must focus even more on proper technique, embouchure, conditioning and flexibility to avoid falling back into the same bad habits.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby Voisi1ev » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:34 am

bloke wrote:I have posted too much already in this thread… Which is not unusual :( ... but I have one more analogy to offer:

Your computer is just not running like it should. You've run all the anti-bot and antivirus programs, you have deleted all history, and you have deleted all cookies… Yet it is still screwy. Finally, you remember the universal solution: Turn the damn thing off, and then turn it back on after a while. Voilà! Everything is as it should be.

I thought solution here was reinstall the operating system!
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:46 am

The first thing I begin to lose is "tuning", but it's also the first thing I get back...and (seemingly...??) each time, my ability to correct myself becomes more acute.

bloke "ain't that acute thing?"
bloke

Postby Michael Bush » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:13 pm

The tuba arrived yesterday, picked it up last night.

I'm pretty pleased with my sound after six weeks off. Mostly long tones and easier etudes so far today, but it's going well.

Also amazed by the tuba. It's a 410 I got from Tom McGrady, with the gold brass bell. It's the first brand new 410 I've held in several years. The old fit and finish issues are addressed. All the valve slides are perfectly aligned and smooth as butter. No funky angles in the tubing or the paddle assembly. The fifth valve trigger is totally different than it used to be and really solidly made. No weird noises anywhere. I'm impressed.
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Previous

Return to TubeNet