those fourteen notes... Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

those fourteen notes...

Postby bloke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:50 pm

...so I've been cracking a couple of jokes about D-9 this week...the regular wisecracks...
I just found out today that our bass trombone man is hung up on the Atlantic coast for an extra day (I dunno...evacuation-related...?? Your guess is as good as mine), and that I'll be covering mvt's. 1 & 4 in the first two rehearsals...

...so a little bit more fun that I had expected. 8) :shock: :D
For now I'm thinking (I suck on bass trombone, btw), that I use the cimbasso on 1 & 4, and the euphonium (or, maybe, just the plain-ol' tuba) on the English horn movement.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: those fourteen notes...

Postby MikeMason » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Me too later in season. Give any thought to the alternate part?
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Wisemann 900c/blokepiece imperial,profundo rim
Conn 2j -5valve with bloke piece imperial,profundo rim
Mack euph
Bach Strad 36b Tbone
MikeMason
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:42 pm

MikeMason wrote:Me too later in season. Give any thought to the alternate part?

I like "fun", but I also like "a high $-to- ratio".

bloke "a businessman"
bloke

Postby Donn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:56 pm

national lampoon wrote:Mr Rogers: Tell me some of the things you think about when you're playing, some of the images. Because of course when you're playing I thought about things like sheep and things like that, little candies, fresh little candies and things like that. Do you think of those things too?

Billy Bob: Oh, I basically think about my financial situation. I count every like beat that I play when I play, and I figure how many notes I give in into the space you know ...

Mr Rogers: Uh huh. Sure.

Billy Bob: Out into space for how much I'm gettin paid and I am workin' cheap.

Mr Rogers interviews Billy Bob the bass player
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Biggs » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Serious question:

Can you explain your reasoning behind euphonium on the "tuba" part (the usual 14 note one)? Do you always do this? Will you do this on the concert (i.e. when you're not also a bass trombone sub?)? Is this common and I'm just clueless?

I'll hang up and listen.
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Mudman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Only one answer is correct: the awesome, wearable, bloke-helicon with gold accents. It goes good with any attire.
Mudman
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 am

I took a look at everything I had to schlep to the gig:
- a 1291 CC repair and cleaning job for a local amateur
- a bass trombone bell section that had just been customized for my section mate
- my own instrument(s) - based on what I chose to bring
- possible pawnshop treasures picked up on the way… and – as a matter fact – I did pick up a really nice alto saxophone for an amazing price… So there's more crap in my car
- my own clothes bag for the concert and for day two rehearsals
=================================
I just decided to bring my JP F tuba, and let that suffice for everything, which includes covering the bass trombone part for the first two rehearsals, and later just playing the 14 notes on the gig.

The reason that I originally thought it might be a good idea to use the euphonium on the 14 notes during the first two rehearsals was that the low notes in that instrument's compensating range would offer a good - somewhat bass trombone-like growl - in the sound. Besides having too much crap in my car already - lwhich is only a Toyota Matrix – another reason I decided not to bring it was that the number three compensating slide length on my Willson is already longish as described in another thread. Its length favors the intonation of the low C and low B, to the detriment of the intonation of the low D-flat…the low D-flat being critical here.
bloke

Return to TubeNet