Dorico Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Dorico

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:59 pm

I have used both Sibelius and Finale and like most hate both of them. Does anyone have experience with Dorico?

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/dorico/start.html
Mark Wiseman
Mark
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Dorico

Postby scottw » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:25 am

I have never even heard of it. I was never willing to take all the time and energy needed to master Finale. After Sibelius and Encore, I began using MuseScore and I really like it so much better--and it's free. Does everything I will ever need and makes sense, too.
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Craig F » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:42 am

It has a huge amount of potential. The layout engine is very powerful but, it isn’t ready for prime time yet.

Its biggest weakness is repeat structures. You can’t automatically create Codas and Segnos. Those symbols have to be copy/pasted from another program. They did add basic support for second endings in version 1.1. Eventually, it is supposed to automatically handle ties/slurs/tuplets that cross over into second endings. It doesn’t look like that will make it into version 1.x. It also has no support for playback of repeats.

Also missing are cues and percussion notation. These are the focus of version 1.2. I would suggest waiting until version 1.2 comes out, then try the 30 day trial.
Craig F
lurker
lurker

Postby swillafew » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Can't say anything about Dorico, but I started with Finale back in the 1.0 days. Now we have Sibelius 8 and the wife is sticking with Finale. Stuff that drove me crazy years ago has been fixed up pretty well. The layout was the worst part for me, and Sibelius has made it so that even a person like me (a musician) can make a pretty good layout.
MORE AIR
swillafew
4 valves
4 valves

Return to TubeNet