This orchestra is rockin' Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

This orchestra is rockin'

Postby bloke » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:31 am

I post a bunch here, but I only self-promote a little bit (yes?). I'm not going to even mention the name of the ensemble here...

I play in three per-service orchestras. One of them was, candidly, weaker than the other two, but there were some nice guys and some good players in there, so - even though the pay was low - I agreed to perform with it, when asked. If you have read a thread (another forum) about "auditions", this is the one were (a year after I agreed to play) I was surprised (several years ago) by a subsequent "audition requirement".

The founding music director was a "nice guy"...too nice. He would make do (heavily editing major works, only playing selected movements, and never firing incompetent musicians - some: hangers-on from an era when it was a non-paid community orchestra). As one might expect, he was eventually dismissed. A new "hard-nose" (rehearsal techniques) music director was chosen (who also offers a great deal of audience appeal, and who possesses very good schmoozing talents). Immediately, the most serious problems (incompetents) disappeared, and were replaced. Over the years, the pay is up to (what I would rate as) "good", and more-and-more "tweaking" of personnel has occurred. As personnel (and pay levels) have been adjusted upward in grade, the music director's attention to detail and musical expression continue to escalate as well.

As of now (the first subscription concert of this year), there is yet another bump-up of quality noticed (quite a few new faces in the fiddles dept.). It makes me smile. I hear music. ...and the music director is more demanding than ever.

one minor fly in the ointment: For whatever reason, he thinks I hung the moon, and never calls me out (and no, it's certainly ~not~ because "I execute every passage perfectly in every way") . Due to this situation, I must always be self-vigilant, and be very demanding of myself (well...as we all should be, yes?)

...pops concert next month. My fav's are in the r.h. stack:

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: This orchestra is rockin'

Postby Steve Marcus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:43 am

+1
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Polkahero » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Sounds like similar progress that a community concert band I belong to has made except for pay raises!
Mirafone 191 5/4 BBb
Mirafone 186 BBb
Meinl-Weston 10 3/4 BBb
Polkahero
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 pm

Don't come a knockin...?

Very cool, Joe! As I'm sure you know, it's easier to rid a group of incompetents, than it is to rid it of incompetence. :)
Willson 3050-RZ
Thein RCC
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:58 am

- a show tonight I would have been glad for anyone to have audited
- roughly a c-note for each service + mileage
- decent lodging & a meal each day, if I choose to avail myself of it
- close enough to blokeplace to squeeze in a few hours of actual "work"-work (either blokeplace work, or horn-fixin' work) on Friday and Saturday

fun.
good.

fun-ny: playing the same chart next month with one of the other per-service orchestras
good: for twice the dough

nuttiest thing I'll be playing this year (orch. #3) - Berlioz "Te Deum"
looking most forward to: Stravinsky - "The Fairy's Kiss" / Tchaik 6 / Hanson 2
bloke

Postby Heavy_Metal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:47 am

Steve Marcus wrote:+1

This. If I lived in that area I'd come hear you.
Frank
Old Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1965 Mahillon 390 BBb
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3-piston BBb Helicon
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bigboymusic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 am

I feel this way about the St. Joseph Symphony up here in NW MO. The first few years it was a glorified community orchestra with a few ringers. About 7-8 years ago they hired a guy who has brought high expectations and a bit of 'old Italian' conductor to the podium. The string sound has gotten so mature and the wind section is top notch. we have had a full turn over of the bones the past couple years, but the new hires are class acts. I only wish the ensemble played more services than we do... It is refreshing to be able to really be musical once in awhile with a group!!!!
Paul Weissenborn
St. Joseph Symphony Orchestra (MO)
Spirit of Independence Band
5/4 No Name CC
bigboymusic
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:50 am

Between the three per-service orchestra services, (I guess) I have about the equivalent of "one really pitiful job".
That having been said, were I single (and were I to move into the 3BR/2BA mobile-home-sitting-on-an-acre-with-a-pond that we bought for bloke, jr. to rent from us), those gigs (plus church gigs, "artisteeeee in residence" quintet remuneration from Ole Miss, boat gigs, weird gigs (ex: Zelda video shows, Elvis shows, etc.), a few recording sessions, polka band gigs, street band gigs, and whatever... would actually be "enough".

more to the point: :arrow: The market is absolutely flooded with (and, no...I'm just "good enough" to play with top-tier "classical" musicians, because I'm only a tuba player) top-tier "classical" musicians (most, who probably owe 15 - 20 years of student loan payments), and it is ~not~ difficult to round up some folks and form a REALLY GOOD per-service orchestra (with, say, a 6-or-7-event subscription series) for not-a-lot-of-dough (like "one or two million bucks/yr.")...and yes, even string players, particularly if you schedule your subscription series events around other within-two-hundred-miles per-service orchestras' subscription events. :|
bloke

Return to TubeNet