Which valve oil do you use? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Which valve oil do you use?

Postby Donn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:39 pm

nworbekim wrote:I just didn't like the odor

You weren't using the same stuff I'm using - Lamplight© Ultra-Pure© Paraffin Lamp Oil. There is no odor. It's like a thinner version of drugstore mineral oil.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Old-old gasoline picks up a bad odor...
Some of us know that odor from vehicles which sat-and-sat.

Old-old ultra-pure lamp oil can also pick up a bad odor...from sitting on the shelf at the store too long and not being sold. (Not many buy it.)

Otherwise, the odor of gasoline is "strong" but not offensive (as is rancid gasoline), and ultra-pure lamp oil is nearly odorless.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby imperialbari » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Blue Juice on all types of valves, because it penetrates so well.

With valves, where Blue Juice is too thin, I use a mix of Blue Juice and a little sewing machine oil. They don’t blend perfectly, rather make an emulsion. Which I consider a benefit, as the tiny drops of the thicker oil act as kind of ball bearings.

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Location: Duets by Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, and Weyse. Soli by Saint-Saëns, Massenet, Elgar, and Nielsen.

Postby opus37 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 pm

I use blue juice on my baritone and monster oil on my tubas. I had used hetman's for a long time, but monster oil seems to last longer.
Brian
1893 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1906 York 640
1912 Martin Renowned Monster Eb
1932 Conn 28K Sousaphone
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
2017 Wessex BR140 Baritone
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:43 pm

What is "too thin"?
How "thick" is "ultrapure lamp oil", viscosity-wise?
If it is "too thin", why don't any of the valves on any of my instruments ever malfunction when I use it?
Why does it always seem to last all the way through any practice session, rehearsal, or performance?
If I paid more than 26¢/oz. for some other product, would any of my valves begin to malfunction?
bloke

Postby MikeW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:56 am

In my case, "too thin" is an oil like AlCass Fast, which drains off of my pistons in an hour or so, requiring a new coat of oil at half time. After a previous incarnation of this discussion, I started using smokeless lamp oil (on the grounds that it is intended for use in situations where it will be inhaled, and may therefore be reasonably safe). To stop it draining off of the pistons, I add a little medicinal-grade mineral oil (also chosen on the grounds of probable safety). I aim at a ratio of 1 part mineral oil in 9 parts lamp oil, because someone suggested that ratio here on Tubenet, and it seemed to work when I tried it.

I've been using it without problems for a year or more on my 4-valve Imperial Eb.
Last edited by MikeW on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bisontuba » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 am

Ultra-Pure Valve Oil....
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby hup_d_dup » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 am

Because I keep my valves clean and oil often, I can use any valve oil, on any of my horns, from trumpets to tubas.

People who use a valve oil that purportedly allows less frequent oiling lose the advantage of reason No. 2 (of 4) to oil valves, as recommended by NAPBIRT; 2. it flushes debris toward the bottom cap.

The great number of choices recommended by posters on this thread indicate that, at least in theory, any valve oil can work, and that even wacky formulations do not always prevent valve oil from working in some situations.

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby TheGoyWonder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:38 am

Lamp oil with adulterants: sewing machine oil, mineral oil, STP.
Regardless of adulterant, you get white film buildup within a month especially on the holes in pistons. So frequent cleaning is required...not the worst thing in the world.

Not gonna pretend it is quality, but with low price, quantity has a quality all of its own.
TheGoyWonder
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 am

At 26 cents an ounce for ultrapure lamp oil, I believe I'll just re-oil when needed.
bloke

Postby tofu » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:55 am

TheGoyWonder wrote:Lamp oil with adulterants: sewing machine oil, mineral oil, STP.
Regardless of adulterant, you get white film buildup within a month especially on the holes in pistons.

Been using it for years on nine different horns - everything from brand new to ancient and never ever experienced this. Of all the valve oils I've used over the years ultra-pure lamp oil has been the cleanest with no residual build ups. Love the stuff as it allows customizing the oil to the horn - my preferred additive is various weights of Mobil 1. I've never experienced sticking or valves hanging up on either piston or rotary valved horns using the ultra-pure lamp oil.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Travis99079 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 am

I use a Mack 410 and I use blue juice, because that's what Tom told me to do. :tuba:

I fill most of my old needle-tip hetman bottles with it so it's easier to use.
Last edited by Travis99079 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis99079
bugler
bugler

Postby PaulMaybery » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Petroleum or synthetic: Boutique or Lamp oil. I get build up with them all. At first I thought it was synthetics, but is has been just about the same with everything. I'm almost sure it has a lot to do with the bacteria that comes into play.
But when you use several horns, keeping them maintained and lubed ain't cheap. So the lamp oil route is attractive. Adding a thicker oil to it works depending on the tolerance.

I've gone to using lanolin or Bag Balm for tuning slide lubrication. Slides that I need to pull get a drop or so of regular oil.

Rotaries,I use sewing machine or 3 & 1 oil. Works fine.

It needs to be wet, slippery and adjusted to the right viscosity.

A note on lanolin. If you live in the artic north like Minnesota, in the winter I cut the lanolin with vaseline. Otherwise the cold can turn the lanolin almost solid. No problem when the horn warms up.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Postby russiantuba » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:07 am

Alisyn Synthetic

2 drops a valve last a couple weeks with a ton of playing, and is half the price of blue juice. I normally lose a bottle before running out.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer of Music--Low Brass
Ohio Northern University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
russiantuba
pro musician
pro musician

Postby TWScott283 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:59 am

I am a fan of Alisyn. It lasts forever. It comes in a tiny little bottle, and I've never made it to the end of one before losing it. :)
TWScott283
bugler
bugler

Postby oldbandnerd » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:42 am

Al Cass Fast . Since 1978. Stick with what works.
oldbandnerd
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:17 am

I use Al Cass BOTTLES...and Blue Juice bottles...and Belmonte bottles...and Yamaha bottles...as long as they are not old and brittle...

...to refill with lamp oil - out of my half-gallon jug.
bloke

Postby peterbas » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm using lamp oil for a month now and can't feel a difference with other oils.
With cleaning up after a flush I noticed lamp oil also cleans the silver plating a bit, and makes it shine.
It does makes the horn feel a little greasy but also reduces water stains.
Happy so far
Miraphone 91
blokepiece
wessex dr Young
St peterburg Bb
Conn 36K
peterbas
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Properly-machined, undamaged, free of filth, and free of lime coating valves and casings do not require special oils.

My valve casings and key ways were clean and in perfect condition when I dropped in a set of Martin Wilk's aftermarket pistons years ago. Rather than fitting the newly-supplied guides, I transferred my other set to his pistons. I swished lamp oil on them, and inserted (no, did not "fit" nor "install") them. They were working perfectly within a couple of minutes.

I keep my instrument clean, and (with euphonium return springs) the valves never stick.

Am I bragging? No. I'm being instructive. Your valves could be as much of a pleasure to use as are mine, and your oil cost (like mine) could drop down to a bit over a quarter-dollar an ounce.

keywords: CLEAN, PROPER FIT
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet