Question for managers/players of 14-piece brass ensembles

The bulk of the musical talk
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Question for managers/players of 14-piece brass ensembles

Post by imperialbari »

Some of you know that I like the 14-piece brass ensemble format (4441+euphonium) because it in contrast to the also fine 10-piece format provides a full horn section plus the euphonium, which I consider the most agile member of this line-up.

I have written two Christmas arrangements for this format supplemented with timpani and SATB vocalists (soloist and choir).

Right now I am working on a new arrangement in the same genre over a tune of my special liking. I have added Glockenspiel to the mentioned line-up, because I use it to add overtones to some inner part figurations. Actually I so far in the nearly completed have written parts for two players playing the same instrument. But now I have run into problems in one section, where the one Glockenspiel part doubling a counterpoint played in octaves by tuba and euphonium uses the full range of the instrument not leaving space for the second player, whom I have planned another function for.

As I understand it most 14-piece brass ensembles will have to loan timpani and other percussion instruments with their players from high schools, colleges, or community ensembles anyway.

Is it reasonably likely that it would be possible to loan 2 Glockenspiele locally?

I would like to write for Glockenspiele with the extendend ranges, but I write for the smaller version going from G below the treble stave to C above the same stave, all sounding 2 octaves higher than written.

Here in Europe some Glockenspiele are tuned in Bb. Providing transposed parts for these will be no problem.

As usually the music, when completed, will be downloadable for free.

Klaus
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Question for managers/players of 14-piece brass ensemble

Post by imperialbari »

The beginning of the said section. And yes, it is about giving harmonic flavour to a mostly unison ensemble supporting a verse sung by the congregation. The tempo is 72 beats per minute, so it should be doable by most, if they master the range.