Gig Bag Questions

The bulk of the musical talk
DouglasJB
4 valves
4 valves

Gig Bag Questions

Post by DouglasJB »

I am looking for a gig bag to hold a horn about the size of a Besson 983.
Here is why I posted it in this section...

1. Want side loading, with my messed up hand top loading is difficult.

2. Large music pocket (university will not supply a second locker, so this gig bag will be used also as a booking for a 1 inch binder as well so I can carry it around campus to classes)

3. Comfortable straps for the reason listed above

4. Not too expensive. (Not Cronkite)

I am going to fight for a locker so hopefully they will give up one of the other empty tuba lockers.

Any suggestions? I'm leaning Towards Wessex, but am willing and wanting to hear suggestions.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Gig Bag Questions

Post by thevillagetuba »

If you don't want to spend the money for a Cronkhite, then that leaves only two other quality options: Gotz, which is pretty much the same price as a Cronkhite, or Wessex. Unless the pocket has been redesigned, though, your binder probably won't fit... you'll need/want the Cronkhite for that.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Isn't Gotz top loading only?

If you plan to keep that tuba, invest in a Cronkhite, or try to find a used one. This is really what you are describing.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

bort wrote:Isn't Gotz top loading only?

If you plan to keep that tuba, invest in a Cronkhite, or try to find a used one. This is really what you are describing.
I was under the impression they could special make one as a side-loading, but that would cost more than the Cronkhite, I'm sure. I could also be wrong, but they are pretty much the best top-loader out there with regards to protection and comfort, at least for me.

Cronkhite is really the way to go, but Wessex is an affordable alternative if the OP doesn't most-likely not being able to fit his binder.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

Need I suggest--I know--ProTec has a large side pocket and is side-loading. Not the worst bag, and it suits the OP's wants: cheap and a pocket.
Bearin' up!
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Ok, I'm going to be that guy...the one that suggests something totally opposite of what you're looking for.

If you have a storage issue (no locker) in a school/college setting, it seems to me that it would be safer and a lot easier to have a hard case for that tuba that stays in the music building with the tuba in it vs. carting a gig bagged tuba all over the campus. Surely you could come up with a way to lock the case and even, if necessary, lock the case to some big immovable object so it doesn't go anywhere.

As for the binder, it seems that would be easy to carry around in virtually any sort of backpack or messenger bag, yes?

A gig bag, to me, would make the safety/security/storage problem even worse based on what I read in your post.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
jmdavis
lurker
lurker

Post by jmdavis »

The Protec will easily hold a 1" thick music folder. As a matter of fact it will hold the folder, plus a towel, mouthpiece case, and a plastic tool holder for oil and screwdriver.

I never knew it was a bad case until I came here. It's worked for me for 13 years (though almost all of that has been indoors).
Eflatdoubler
bugler
bugler

Post by Eflatdoubler »

Messina Covers make side loaders. They are $395.00 plus shipping. The foam is 1 1/2" on the front and back and 3/4" on the sides. It has a zipper guard and they will embroider your name or initials for free.

I wound up going with a top loading Miraphone case a few months ago, but at the time I was told there was a 3 week lead time.

I never saw one in person, but the pictures looked good and they were very professional and quick to answer any questions.

They will need your bell diameter and a tracing of the horn, along with the depth mid horn and at the bottom.