manufacturing challenge

The bulk of the musical talk
jmdavis
lurker
lurker

Re: manufacturing challenge

Post by jmdavis »

In Bb that would sound very interesting to me.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

bloke wrote:- 5 valves
- 5/4 size
- key of C
- high quality build (i.e. "better grade than a $1500 - $2000 wholesale cost instrument")
- EXCELLENT INTONATION
- bore size .768" or smaller (.748" would be fine, if a piston model)
- conservative taper mouthpipe tube
:arrow: - 37" tall "piggy" profile
Sounds like a Hirsbrunner HBS 290 (HB2) or Rudi 4345 CC rotary... but probably not within your definition of 5/4
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Uber bias, here... Sure sounds like the 3050rz, up to the "piggy profile" bit. Although, I am also not sure I know what that means. Target bell size, Joe?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The Willson is 37" tall.

Mouthpipe taper... Ok, missed that one, and not sure how to tell.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I may not be able to hear the grass grow, but it surely isn't a dud. I don't pull slides and do very little work besides mashing the normal buttons. No complaints from me, and i wouldnt put up with crap... but I know we all have our own tolerances!
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

bloke wrote:If tendencies are similar to those of the 3050 piston version, I had to have my pinky on #3 and my thumb/index on #1 (just as with Hb's, but with the opposition-direction intonation flaw with the D# just below the staff). (I had a 3050 on extended loan for the better part of a year. It was at the end of the time that the only tuba I owned was my F tuba.) When tubas - which are here - require that much manipulation, they go on the auction block.
No clue, Joe. I haven't spent enough time with the piston 3050 to really know how the intonation tendencies compare. I am not the player who will tell you which partial is how many cents flat, nor do I pull/push slides with any regularity. I'm far more practical, in that when I mash the normal buttons, I get the sounds I expect. To my ear, it all sounds fine and easily correctable with minor adjustments. No complaints from those around me or the person waving his arms, so I guess it's going pretty well.

More-highly-discriminating players will, naturally, be more discriminating. :)
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

the most important thing about bore is that it is a leadpipe parameter. a really good leadpipe that happens to be long can have a gnarly-looking bore size, and vice-versa for a good leadpipe that happens to be short.

If a smaller-bore Piggy is what is desired, what about just putting a tighter leadpipe on one?
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

maybe it's gonna be easier to find what you want in a taller design, and just get a van.
Just for now, until a manufacturer accepts your challenge.