Looking For My First F Tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
griffinwilson
bugler
bugler

Looking For My First F Tuba

Post by griffinwilson »

Hey guys, I'm a freshman at the University of Louisville, and I'm looking to buy an F tuba to learn and become comfortable with the style of playing. The two F tubas I have played on are an Adams/Miraphone Hybrid, and the precursor to the Miraphone Elektra (I don't believe they make that specific model anymore), both horns had odd slotting, and almost uncontrollable intonation. The Miraphone is very free blowing in the low register, and I was just wondering if there are affordable models that have good intonation AND are free blowing, or if those two things are mutually exclusive. I would love to get your opinions on what Tubas I should try out.

Thanks,
Griffin Wilson
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Looking For My First F Tuba

Post by Ken Crawford »

If you aren't against going Chinese, the Wessex Berg is a great playing F tuba. Fantastic intonation and slotting, and free blowing throughout. The weak point of the Berg is the valves and linkages. Also in the Chinese arena, I would actually recommend the Schiller Elite Frankfurt 6 valve, the PT-16 step brother. They play extremely well, the valve linkage is genuine Minibal, and the price is great. These are the best "affordable" F tubas according to me.
arpthark
5 valves
5 valves

Post by arpthark »

You've picked a good program. Clint is an excellent teacher, and the music faculty at U of L are world-class.

A good resource to ask for things like this is Norm Epley at NRE Brassworks in Louisville. He often has a slew of horns for sale in his shop and is well-connected. You can find his business on Facebook.
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

Rather than rattle off a list of makes and models of F tubas that I like, I'm going to throw this out there:

F tubas play different than CC or BBb tubas. Some are more radically different than others, but what you are experiencing is really not that unusual for someone getting started on F tuba: slotting and intonation. F tubas "blow" different than CC or BBb tubas and it just takes time with an F tuba to learn and understand how to play them well.

I suppose the problem with bass tubas (F, Eb) is that for most people there isn't really any way to spend a bunch of time learning it without buying one. That immediately leads to inexperienced players buying a bass tuba without really knowing what they're getting. Don't read "inexperienced" as "bad," all I mean is that if you haven't played a bunch of F tuba already, then you're inexperienced on F tuba, but that doesn't mean you're a bad player.

So, I would suggest this as a starting point only:

Look around at what others are playing and listen to a lot of F tuba playing to see if you can develop any ideas of the type of instrument you like/dislike based on that.

Have an experienced F tuba player try the instrument you're looking at just to judge overall playability. They may not love it, but the point is really just to see if it is a decent instrument to bother playing and learning with.

Last, I would seriously consider buying a USED F tuba from someone with a lot of F tuba experience, like a professional player or perhaps a well regarded teacher. I've only owned two F tubas, but I bought them both from well known professional players: one full-time big orchestra player, the other a major university professor and principal in a slightly smaller orchestra. For different reasons they were both selling their long-time F tubas. Because of the source, I knew those instruments were good tubas that I didn't really need to worry about - I just needed to learn to play them. It's certainly not a guarantee, but there is a pretty decent chance of getting a better than average F tuba when you buy one from a pro that has played it A LOT.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
GC
5 valves
5 valves

Post by GC »

I believe Mack Brass discontinued their Eb tuba over a year ago.
JP/Sterling 377 compensating Eb; Warburton "The Grail" T.G.4, RM-9 7.8, Yamaha 66D4; for sale > 1914 Conn Monster Eb (my avatar), ca. 1905 Fillmore Bros 1/4-size Eb, Bach 42B trombone
one.kidney
bugler
bugler

Post by one.kidney »

Hi Griffin,

Nick.
IU Jacobs School of music BM Performance
Miraphone 1292 "New Yorker" CC
Miraphone Firebird 6v F
jmdavis
lurker
lurker

Post by jmdavis »

GC wrote:I believe Mack Brass discontinued their Eb tuba over a year ago.
They have an F.
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

How much money you want to spend on this tuba? I asked because you can buy 1500$ instrument and 15000$.What you prefer piston or rotary?
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Post by tubeast »

If this is supposed to be a first F-Tuba intended to get acquainted with bass Tuba playing, I wouldn´t worry too much about specs and just go and buy a used horn by a manufacturer of good reputation.
Doesn´t need to be new, doesn´t need to be pretty.

Chances are the horn will outplay You at the time You buy it.
By the time YOU outplay THAT horn You won´t need assistance by anyone to get what You want / need / enjoy most.
At least that´s the road I had chosen 25 years ago. (I DO own different Horns today. What did NOT occur, though, was the "me outplaying that horn" part. :roll: )

Just renting the beat-up specimen that may be collecting dust in U of Louisville´s music department will do the very same for You at much lower cost.
Poor lacquer ? Don´t matter.
Dents ? Don´t matter, at most places.
Worn-out linkages ? Can be fixed at comparatively low cost.

Good luck !!
Hans
Melton 46 S
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, customized GEWA 52 + Wessex "Chief"
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Wessex "Chief"
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Deals come around if you are patient. Be patient. I bought 3 used F tubas over a period of years, and never paid anything close to what a new one costs. The first one was about 70 years old when I got it, and later I sold it and it held it's value well over another 17 years. It's on the right in the photo. Middle tuba was about 30 years old when I got it, it played great. I wasn't playing it enough at the time, preferring the BBb on the left.

MORE AIR
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

F tubas are always going to be frustrating in the initial farting-around period.
Then there is the new breed that is easy-playing, but boring-sounding. To those I say, what's the point.

Maybe you can get the 4v version of the various classic makes for cheap, and when you pick the one you like spring for the 5v.