smuggeling 'weapons' into school

The bulk of the musical talk
kegmcnabb
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kegmcnabb »

Joe Baker wrote:[Kevin, forgive me if any of this sounds like I'm mad at you. I'm not, but this whole issue just hits my hot-button. I really do apologize if I've given -- or am about to give :oops: -- any sign that I'm angry with you in any way.

-- a young man from Syria SHOULD be checked a bit more closely than an 80-year-old woman from Scottsdale).
Ummm, if you're calling me Kevin, then I'm mad at you! :shock: :D

And as far as a lady from Scottsdale...have you hung around with one lately?...they scare the sh*t outta me.
Craig McClelland
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Kevin, Craig... whatever.

Sorry :oops:
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Rick Denney wrote:Are you nutz?
I have it on good authority that the answer is "yes".
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

All this talk about security reminds me of an interesting thing that happened to me involving the secret service back in 1994. President Clinton came to town for UCLA's 75th anniversary celebration and the Bruin Brass, UCLA's top brass quintet at the time, was schedualed to play for him at Pauley Pavilion.

We arrived early to be checked out by secret service because we were to be placed right next to the President on the stage. They had me open my tuba case and they checked in every slide with a flashlight, in addition to the standard metal detector and pat-down. The funny thing was they didn't check the side pocket on my gigbag, which I realized later contained two knives and a screwdriver, including a buck knife and a Swiss army. What a fool I was for forgetting to remove those items, but fortunately I got away with it. But thinking about it afterwards I realized what fools the Secret Service were. When I removed the horn from the gigbag, they just brought the gigbag past the checkpoint and set it down so I could put the horn back in it after they searched the inside of the horn with their fine tooth comb. They never gave the gig bag a second look.

Perhaps the side pocket on a gigbag would also be a good place to hide those dangerous wood blocks.

-MSM
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

bloke wrote:' just another very good reason to homeschool...
And then where is the kid going play tuba? Solo's in the park?

I'm currently trying to work this out, as my son attends a small private school with a very basic music program, no band or instrumental classes.

Some instruments are well suited for solo work. But low brass isn't one of them, especially in the early stages.

Learnhg to play with a group is important too, but I've yet to find an outlet for young players around here. Even if there was a youth-orchestra, that's not really a place for beginners is it.
Chuck(G)
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Chuck(G) »

ThomasDodd wrote:

I'm currently trying to work this out, as my son attends a small private school with a very basic music program, no band or instrumental classes.

Some instruments are well suited for solo work. But low brass isn't one of them, especially in the early stages.

Learnhg to play with a group is important too, but I've yet to find an outlet for young players around here. Even if there was a youth-orchestra, that's not really a place for beginners is it.
Many homeschoolers enroll their children in one or two public school classes such as band. Best to check with your local school district to see if it's allowed.
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

Chuck(G) wrote:
ThomasDodd wrote:
Many homeschoolers enroll their children in one or two public school classes such as band. Best to check with your local school district to see if it's allowed.
So far the biggest issue is that both schools have the same day schedule, so he'd be in class while band is going on. Home schoolers don't have that proble, since they set their schedule.

The other issue is friction at the schools. So far the local schools have been giving me a run-around. And I haven't had much luck catching up with the band director.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Joe Baker wrote:Joe Baker, who also notes that Rick has an extraordinary ability to think like a paranoid...
It comes from living too close to the source of paranoia and other neuroses.

Rick "who was interviewed by the CIA today about a neighbor who works there and was getting a routine security review" Denney
Mark

Post by Mark »

Rick Denney wrote:Rick "who was interviewed by the CIA today about a neighbor who works there and was getting a routine security review" Denney
Well, that's what they told you anyway.
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

bloke wrote: ' got stuff like this?

Bellevue Victory Band
I wish. Still looking and talking. I'll figure something out.