Miraphone 188 discussion

The bulk of the musical talk
SWE
bugler
bugler

Re: Miraphone 188 discussion

Post by SWE »

UTSAtuba wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:47 amAnywho, I noticed Alan Baer seemed to be playing a 188 last night for the Bruckner 7, and was curious if this is a more recent development or just an ‘artistic’ call by the conductor (trumpets were using their rotary horns too).
FWIW and semi off-topic, when Pittsburgh did Bruckner 7 this spring Craig Knox had a special setup for the 2nd movement with some large German tuba located next to the Wagner tuben. It was kind of slick, after 1st mvmt he exited stage left through some back corner exit, then popped out the other side. The weekend was recorded and allegedly will be edited and released on Reference Recordings.
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Miraphone 188 discussion

Post by anotherjtm2 »

UTSAtuba wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:47 am I’m not sure why, but a lot of the original posts are missing in this thread.
Some of the original posters have deleted their accounts, so their posts no longer appear, though quotes for the posts can still appear. You'll notice that in a lot of threads that are older than August, 2020.

Back on topic, I've been playing a 188, as an amateur, for about six months now, and it's brilliant. Great sound, very comfortable, and so easy to play in tune. I have one from the early 80s, in gold brass with nickel silver valve tubing. I tried some other mid-size C tubas in the past three years, and this seems like the one I'll hold on to for a while.
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander