Rich Matteson's "I've Found a New Baby" personnel?

The bulk of the musical talk
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Rich Matteson's "I've Found a New Baby" personnel?

Post by BopEuph »

Many moons ago when I was in college, I ripped the Tuba-Euphonium Legacy project to my computer. After many moves, I still have the audio, but can't find the CD for the life of me.

Who did Rich play with on that tune? What year was it recorded? Name of the original album? Anyone know?
Nick
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Rich Matteson's "I've Found a New Baby" personnel?

Post by BopEuph »

Well, I found the answer, and just in case anyone was to stumble across this, I figured I'd answer the question.

Looks like this is the album, recorded in 1960. The only issue is there's no personnel list on the record, so it makes confirming it very difficult...but if ITEA says Rich played on it, I'm sure he did!

I tried embedding them, but the files are huge, and I don't know how to use the code on this forum to resize...or if it's even possible.

http://www.audiopreservationfund.org/gr ... _01263.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.audiopreservationfund.org/gr ... _01263.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank
Nick
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Amazing that they put all the trivial recording details (type of mic, placement, etc.) on the back cover, yet don't even manage to mention the musicians' names. :|
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDude »

That was clarinet player Ed Reed's band. I think back in those days I think Ed had Nappy Lamare on banjo, Eddie Miller on Sax, Ted Butterman on Trumpet, and Courgar Nelson on Trombone. Almost sounds like Gene Schroeder on piano, not sure on the drummer, of Rich was on tuba. Side note on this group, Joe Glazer was their agent, who by the way was one of the Original Dukes of Dixieland agents.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

UncleBeer wrote:Amazing that they put all the trivial recording details (type of mic, placement, etc.) on the back cover, yet don't even manage to mention the musicians' names. :|
My thoughts exactly!
Nick
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

By the way, here's a clip of me working on Rich's bassline. People in town know me as only a bassist, and I've recently started doing 60-second clips showing my tuba chops.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaAs4yHlUNm/
Nick
TubaDude
bugler
bugler

Post by TubaDude »

Sounds pretty good Nick. If you want some real cool Rich material check out the stuff he did with my Uncle's band the Dukes of Dixieland and Louie Armstrong back in the late 1950's. Back in the 1990's there was a whole bunch of us guys in O town doing the walking bass lines on brass basses and using the tubas in all sorts of weird groups. It was fun for a while, but I ended up getting back into the computer world, a bit more stable, especially when you have kids.
TubaDude
1909 King Helicon with 4th Valve Added
1913 York 4 Valve Eb/C Helicon (for sale)
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Post by BopEuph »

Oh definitely! Marc Dickman was my euph teacher in college, and since I just showed some interest in combining my bass and euph chops to play some jazz tuba, he's going to be showing me a lot of those recordings.

Living in Orlando has given me this interest because of that. I keep in contact with some of the guys that were the busiest bass and tuba players in the 90s, and they love that I'm doing this now. And I've been taking funk basslines and putting them on tuba with lots of success. Since I know thousands of classic basslines, it just took some getting used to playing tuba, and now I'm having fun on a completely different instrument.
Nick