Opinions on the Holton 345

The bulk of the musical talk
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Opinions on the Holton 345

Post by Bnich93 »

I currently am playing on a B&S PT-4, but I have always been told that I need to step up to a larger horn for orchestral gigs. There is a Matt Walters modified 5 valve CC Holton 345 for sale on this site that I am interested in, but is located in Peru so testing is off the table. I would like to hear from people with experience on these horns so that I can make a decision about this horn.

My main concern is having the “correct sound” for professional auditions, or if I would be better off continuing on my PT-4.

Thanks in advance!
Hirsbrunner HB50 w/Warburton 30DL
John Packer 377s w/Parker Cantabile
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Re: Opinions on the Holton 345

Post by anonymous4 »

No one knows. The most recent opinion on the board is that the Miraphone 188 is the best orchestral tuba, but professionals continue to play 6/4 tubas in auditions and performances.

Don't worry too much about it though. We're still probably about five years away from another orchestra audition. Plenty of time to horn shop.

The price for that horn is pretty amazing and it's really cool looking. I'd buy it if I had the cash. You won't get a non Chinese 6/4 tuba for less money.
gionvil
bugler
bugler

Post by gionvil »

As it has been written many times on the board the level of manufacturing of the Holtons was varying through the years the instruments were made. So probably with Holtons more than with other brands it's not possible to express an opinion in general but it's useful to check and play test every single horn that eventually we are interested to buy. That said, the instruments that underwent some major modifications by some very skilled and experienced hands, have also probably been fixed from their eventual original inconsistencies. Some members on this board think the concept of those tubas is somehow outdated ( and I wonder if these opinions may influence the fluctuating average sale price on the used market) but few can still be great horns worth being played after decades. At least I still enjoy mine very much. When I read some threads regarding what could be "The best tuba of the moment" I am tempted too, of course, but when the temptation is getting too strong I sit and practice and it vanishes. However, I will try not to sell mine until the craze for the old american 6/4s comes back :)
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

There are Holtons (factory CC or BBb), there are Bob Rusk-Cut Holtons (like the elephant's tuba), there are Holtons cut to CC by others, and there are Holtons that are basically custom built tubas using a relatively small number of original Holton parts, often just the bows and perhaps the bell. They all get referred to as "Holtons" but there are tremendous differences between the varieties.

The tuba you're asking about is really a custom tuba more so than it is a "Holton" tuba. A brief and to-the-point call (since it's not for sale at his shop) to Matt Walters specifically about this tuba could probably answer every question you could possibly have about this in terms of components and generally how it plays. Very few (maybe none) of the rest of us will be able to say much about how that exact tuba plays, as it is a unique instrument. If it really is a confirmed Matt Walters build, then at the very least (and without having played it), I can tell you without question that will have been carefully constructed when he built it so a lot of the Holton quality issues that you read about here won't apply If it's been messed with a lot since then, who knows...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84205&p=635036&hili ... rs#p635036
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

Mostly because sousaphones are bell front and BBb, and are not able to be played in a normal chair, lack valves and thousands more reasons. As far as the rudys go, availability mostly. Id love to step up to a yorkbrunner too but the availability of $20k is low.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Type in 345 to search function when you have an empty weekend.
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

bloke wrote:The closest thing to an original 345 that wouldn't break the bank (all Chinese parts) would be to purchase a BMB 6/4 (really close copy of BB-345 bell and bows) and paste on a lengthened-to-BBb JP379CC valveset.

I don't recommend doing this...
The BMB valve set is already about as close to a 345 as they get...
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

bloke wrote:The closest thing to an original 345 that wouldn't break the bank (all Chinese parts) would be to purchase a BMB 6/4 (really close copy of BB-345 bell and bows) and paste on a lengthened-to-BBb JP379CC valveset.

I don't recommend doing this...
Don’t recommend the FrankenHolton, or don’t recommend the FrankenBMB?
Skeptical about both regardless.
Bnich93
bugler
bugler

Post by Bnich93 »

Im looking for a CC in at least 5/4 size with 5 valves