Choosing a BBb tuba

The bulk of the musical talk
Rl_subscriber
lurker
lurker

Choosing a BBb tuba

Post by Rl_subscriber »

Hello good people,
I'd appreciate a word of advice in selecting the right BBb tuba for me.

First, a few words about myself, because I think they are relevant: I'm 45 yo, never owned a tuba of my own. came back to playing a couple of years ago after 15 years break and enjoying it a lot. I'm currently renting a Cervany BBb tuba and I'm mostly playing it with my quintet, or solo. Playing in a band is also something that may happen, but I enjoy it less, so it's less important that the tuba would fit into this. One may say that for this kind of "tubactivity", an F tuba would be more fitting, but I've never played one and getting used to the fingering and feel is not something that I think I'll have the patience to invest in at this stage.

So I decided to finally get a tuba of my own and I'm assuming that this would be a once in a lifetime purchase (unless there are surprises...), meaning that I just want to have a good tuba that will serve me for the years to come and thus the sell-ability of it is not that important to me. Also, since I'm expecting this purchase to be a one time thing, I decided not to go for a Chinese or 2nd hand tuba.
Anyway, in the country where I live in, 2nd hand tubas are a true rarity so I decided to fly to Germany to one of the big music store, make sure that there are certain models that are going to be available for testing and then test-drive them, choose one and take it with me on the plane.

The models are
1. Melton 2011FA
2. B&S gr51
3. Miraphone Hagen 495.

Why only these and not others? Mostly due to price range and availability.

So, what do you think? What should I pay attention to when testing them and generally speaking, any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ronen.
Dan Tuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Choosing a BBb tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

I haven’t played the GR51 or the Hojo. However, I have played the Hagen at several conferences and it’s absolutely amazing! For the most flexibility with various playing situations, I would purchase the 5/4 model. Good luck with your tuba purchase!
Conn 25J
Holton 3+1 "Monster" EEb
Wessex XL
Giddings and Kelly Mouthpieces
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Sounds like a Conn 5j is the tuba you're looking for. Good for quintet, solos, and it'll work in band. And you won't break your back carrying it around.
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I was under the assumption that the GR51 a larger instrument is than the 2011FA or the 495.
You might also try the Miraphone 91. Nimble and still large instrument. Or an 87 of coarse.
Also look into Cerveny Piggy, Opera or Arion. These horns can sound big but also keep a tight sound. They are also tightly wrapped so easy to transport.
King is a no brainer with intonation but in my opinion remains in the smaller sound class of the Hojo & 5J.
Alexander 163 is a very easy blow, very nimble and light weight.

Thomann is a good place to try out several different types of tuba's. Write or call to get an exact idea as to what's there.

Good luck.
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

I have a HoJo 2011TA and would definitely recommend trying before you buy! It's a funny beast and definitely an acquired taste.

If MW made a Bb version of their 3450 that would be great.

Also look at the yamaha 621.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

The GR55 is basically a GR51 with a bigger bell and I think it might be bigger through the 4th valve. VERY nice tuba with excellent pitch. The price point on the 5/4 BBb B&S tubas is VERY fair as well, considering that the Tuono is more similar than different and costs a great deal more. Ergonomically, these tubas are very nice considering their size, in my opinion.

I played the 4/4 Hagen 495 and was very impressed as well. Low register was about as easy as any tuba that I've ever played. If the 496 is anything like it with a little more weight to the sound, then I'm sure that it is a very fine instrument.
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

Local musician here has a Jupiter. He told me he bought it new, and was disappointed. He let me play it, and I was amazed at how much fun it was to play. Light, easy to handle, and a very quick response. If I needed a BBb, I would look for one.

Alternately, I have a GR51 and it has worked out great for me. A young man playing a Miraphone 186 sat next to me in a wind ensemble this spring, and he sounded like a million dollars on it. Another guy in the same group had a piston VMI, (3301 I think) and he got a good sound on that too.
MORE AIR
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

why such an odd grouping of 3 - are they just what a specific store carries? if so what is so great about that store?
why such an odd place where you can rent a decent tuba, which you can't most places, yet there are no tubas on private market for sale.
why not buy something to be shipped in - it's all going to have to be shipped in anyways.
why is the cerveny (fullsize 4 rotor I assume) inadequate, other than you don't own it? Seems like a great choice as it is light and easy to play high and easy to play soft for quintet, and still meets expectations for large ensembles.
olaness1
bugler
bugler

Post by olaness1 »

Depending on which store you go to, you should probably also have a go at MW Fafner as well. With the B&S I'd say you need to listen out for a curious brightness in the middle of the tone, in the form of a light buzz. Suits some people's sounds, but not others'. If the store you are heading to is anywhere near Frankfurt, I'd argue to go to Mainz (not far from Frankfurt) and try out an Alexander 163. They have a lovely example in gold brass in the showroom just now.

Ola
Mike-Johnson-Custom
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike-Johnson-Custom »

If you are considering the Fafner and the Hagen then you might want to think about the Cerveny CBB693 compact 6/4 or the taller CBB696?
They are really well made these days and incredibly good value for the money. They are the equivalent of the Melton hand made range for about 50% the money.
I also have some 'old stock' from the factory that I can do at really good prices. CCB 696-5R, RCB 496-4S, CCB 603-4R, CBB691-4R, CBB603-4R, CBB683-4R
email me if you're interested.
mike@p-a.ltd" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve ... 4rz-kaiser
http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve ... 6-4-kaiser
Mike Johnson Custom
http://m-j-c.co.uk
phone:
+44 161 298 5838
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

If you want a really great BBb tuba, I would suggest the one I currently own right now. (VMI 3302) I know it's not necessarily what you have in mind, but it's really a do all horn. I use it in wind endemble and brass quintet. It may be a bit big for the quintet but it works very well for both in my opinion. It has a fuller sound than the King 2341, and has a much stronger, beefier sound in the low range. Like I said-- not necessarily what you were looking for in your first post, but it's a really fine BBb!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Tubanomicon
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Tubanomicon »

I have a like-new 5/4 Miraphone 191 BBb for sale. It's more compact than the Hagen, so it's easier to lug around. This horn has an excellent tone and great response across all the registers. It would have no trouble serving you for years and years to come.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84397" target="_blank
“Very little strength can produce much motion of air. Learn about air as motion.”

--Arnold Jacobs