Miraphone Eb models question

The bulk of the musical talk
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Miraphone Eb models question

Post by opus37 »

I noticed there is a Miraphone model 83A on eBay. The Starlight model number is 383B. Does anyone know anything about the model 83A or the differences between the two models?
Brian
1892 Courtiere (J.W. Pepper Import) Helicon Eb
1980's Yamaha 321 euphonium
2007 Miraphone 383 Starlight
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
pwhitaker
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Miraphone Eb models question

Post by pwhitaker »

Here's what one sounds like on a street gig (using a Hauser LM-12 to help with the low BBb): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt1TzaUQ2aA" target="_blank" target="_blank
MISERICORDE, n.
A dagger which in mediaeval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal.
- Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

The older model Miraphone Eb is very much so a traditional F tuba pitched in Eb.

I rather like them quite a bit. You could do far worse.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

So, given the choice between the two (model 83A and 383B), which would you choose and why?
Brian
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Christian
lurker
lurker

Post by Christian »

The Miraphone Eb-183 was developed in the 60´-years. Because the fact that the F-tuba was going more popular in the 1980´s and the following years, were on the Eb nothing more developed. Miraphone started again with new model´s around 2005. At first came the Norwegian-Star into the market, a 5/4-sized tuba. One year later was the Starlight (4/4-size) born. The Starlight 383 replaced the previous 183. She comes with a consistent sound through the range as well the low notes have a better articulation compared to the 183. Baadsvik were involved in the development of both tubas and he plays on a Starlight 383.
oedipoes
4 valves
4 valves

Post by oedipoes »

I'm the happy owner of a 5-valve Norwegian Star 283 in Goldbrass.
Best valves ever, very nice sound with a lot of core.
I love it!
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

Thank you to those that responded to this thread question. It helped me understand the miraphone Eb offerings and better choose which to purchase. I am an Eb player. I play in concert bands and quintets with some solo work. I do have a Kanstul 66T which works great for concert bands and orchestras. It has a nice organ like tone that blends well. I have been lusting after the Starlight since I hosted Oystein Baadsvik twice for concerts. I thought it would be a wonderful quintet horn. I have an understanding wife who mostly says go for it. The philosophy is die with no regrets (assuming you can afford it). I have a group of older horns which I have restored and enjoy. They are not like the Kanstul or the Starlight. I think I have found a Starlight at a reasonable price. We'll see where this goes.
Brian
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Can anyone contribute experience with the Miraphone 3+1 compensated E-flat tubas to the thread?

I rather like the star models. The smaller one reminds me of a 184 CC only pitched in E-flat, but much much better.

I wonder if "Christian" above is Christian Niedermaier from Miraphone.
opus37
5 valves
5 valves

Post by opus37 »

To finish the story, I have purchased a starlight. It is a 2007 vintage, but is in excellent shape. No lacquer wear and very minimal finish marks. It plays remarkably well. My full range is spot on (according to my tuner). It is very free blowing giving me a much more powerful sound in the low range. I am very happy. I have tested it in quintet with good success. I think I will use it in my annual Christmas concert series with a 30 piece orchestra. My Kanstul will be my concert band horn. I have a selection of interesting antiques for Tuba Christmas. A Sellmansberger Imperial mouthpiece seems to work best for me on this horn.
Brian
2010 Kanstul 66T
2016 Bubbie Mark 5
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

Mark Finley wrote:Love the star. That is in my top 3 Eb tubas I've ever played
Ditto Mark on the Norwegian Star. If I was buying a rotary valve Eb, it would be the Star.

It's a personal opinion but I would not play the old Miraphone 4-valve Eb tuba in public. A friend of mine did, and did it well but there are too many better options for a performer today.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.