Dear FedEx, Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Dear FedEx,

Postby bloke » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 am

Dear FedEx,
Thanks for tearing up my new kitchen cabinets. 8) :D
Just like the tubas that you tear up for other people, I can fix them.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: Dear FedEx,

Postby kmorgancraw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 am

I'm about to have a tuba shipped via FedEx... Give me a percent chance you think the tuba will arrive unscathed. :)
kmorgancraw
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:55 am

:roll:

I'm about to go play in traffic - blindfolded. Give me a percentage...
bloke

Postby Donn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am

Brief blindfolded excursions on quiet streets, you might get away with it for a long time. Of course eventually there would be a reckoning, and then that would be the memorable outcome, but until then, you could offer testimonial after testimonial to the apparent safety of this practice. Thus it's safer to use a parcel service that is not as widely used - these services have fewer incidents.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Donn wrote:Brief blindfolded excursions on quiet streets, you might get away with it for a long time. Of course eventually there would be a reckoning, and then that would be the memorable outcome, but until then, you could offer testimonial after testimonial to the apparent safety of this practice. Thus it's safer to use a parcel service that is not as widely used - these services have fewer incidents.

Once again, when items are...
- never more than two feet off the ground
- always handled by people, and
- never on conveyor belts
- (to the annoyance of recipients) not pushed-pushed-pushed to get them to their destinations in three days

...stuff tends to get torn-up far less often.
bloke

Postby hrender » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm

kmorgancraw wrote:I'm about to have a tuba shipped via FedEx... Give me a percent chance you think the tuba will arrive unscathed. :)

50% based on my extremely small sample size (2).
hal.
hrender
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bisontuba » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:00 pm

bloke wrote:
Donn wrote:Brief blindfolded excursions on quiet streets, you might get away with it for a long time. Of course eventually there would be a reckoning, and then that would be the memorable outcome, but until then, you could offer testimonial after testimonial to the apparent safety of this practice. Thus it's safer to use a parcel service that is not as widely used - these services have fewer incidents.

- (to the annoyance of recipients) not pushed-pushed-pushed to get them to their destinations in three days

‘The “Dog” rules’........
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 am

kmorgancraw wrote:I'm about to have a tuba shipped via FedEx... Give me a percent chance you think the tuba will arrive unscathed. :)

That tuba is dead meat. :lol:
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby tofu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 am

bloke wrote:

Even works for kitchen cabinets.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Bob Kolada » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:59 am

I had an immaculate Kanstul contrabone shipped via FedEx, I believe, years ago that arrived with a severely jacked up bell. I seem to remember the TNFJ reacting poorly to my thoughts about the design of the fabled Cronkhite case it came with (slide resting on the bell? no problem!)... :|
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Donn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:16 am

kmorgancraw wrote:I'm about to have a tuba shipped via FedEx.

It really depends a lot on the sender. If it's packed well ... I don't have access to any numbers, but my guess is that for tubas that truly are packed well, the odds are decent, maybe 8:1. Of course that's really atrocious performance, but the parcel carriers aren't really cut for this kind of stuff. "Well packed" encompasses a range of possibilities, really, so maybe it should be a range of odds like 3:1 to 20:1 depending on how good is good.

For a recognizably bad packing job, more like 1:3. For my tuba, it probably would have been better to just tape the label to the tuba and forego the pretense of packing it.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Postby kmorgancraw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 pm

the elephant wrote:

We'll see on Friday... Hopefully I don't have any sad photos to post.
kmorgancraw
3 valves
3 valves

Postby edsel585960 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 pm

the elephant wrote:

The box will be beat to death. That is providing they can get it to the right address. Go Greyhound. Yes, they're not perfect but I haven't received damaged horns with them or had damage on shipped horns.
20-21 J
22 J
Olds 99
26 K, Wessex Mighty Midget, Cerveny 693, Mirafone 186, MW 20
edsel585960
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Schlepporello » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Way back when I bought my 187, I bought it from Woodwind and Brasswind along with a ProTech gig bag (I didn't know about Cronkite then). WWBW put the horn in the bag, put the whole thing in a box designed for 2 tubas and put lots of chunks of foam and Styrofoam peanuts all around it. It shipped via FedEx and arrived unscathed. I was one of the lucky ones. Any carrier can ruin you day with a damaged shipment. You take your chances if you're not hauling it yourself.
I'm just crazy about dementia.
http://lowbrasskraftz.free-forum.net
Schlepporello
6 valves
6 valves

Postby kmorgancraw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 pm

edsel585960 wrote:
the elephant wrote:

The box will be beat to death. That is providing they can get it to the right address. Go Greyhound. Yes, they're not perfect but I haven't received damaged horns with them or had damage on shipped horns.

I would have used Greyhound, as I have before, but the guy shipping it to me insisted on FedEx because it is "insured" unlike with Greyhound... And it cost 4x as much.
kmorgancraw
3 valves
3 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Donn wrote:It really depends a lot on the sender. If it's packed well ... I don't have access to any numbers, but...

With Greyhound Package Express, this "how well is is packed" factor is a microscopic factor:
They have no conveyor belts - certainly none that tower dozens of feet into the air.
They do not throw packages, as they receive a package "every once in a while" and are not expected to "process" hundreds or thousands of "Parcels" per hour.
Most shipped items are never more than two feet off the ground.
bloke

Postby andrew the tuba player » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 am

I have shipped 3 times. Once with UPS, once with Greyhound and once with Amtrak. Bet you can't guess which one arrived damaged.

And to be fair I don't blame the parcel companies. After all they are a 'parcel company' which in my mind points towards small and medium size boxes. Not so much a tuba or even euphonium size. They just aren't really setup to handle large fragile items. I work at a large Walmart distribution center with conveyors and I drive a forklift. When you are on a schedule and pulling 30 or more pallets an hour some up to 28 feet in the air, you're going to drop, tip and sometimes stab boxes. It happens everyday. When you take that and apply it to a heavy, awkward item like a tuba, I'm not at all surprised. Not to mention all of the freight that likes to come off of the conveyor and fall at a quick speed. Drop it 28 feet and then slide it off a conveyor a few times and also toss it into the back of some trucks and by the time you get it, your brand new dream horn looks like something out of bloke's attic. :wink:

My advice, skip the heights, high speed and mishandling and just have someone lay it in a comfy bus or train seat for a few more days.

FWIW, the horn I got a few weeks ago was sent via Amtrak with no packing except the hard case and some wrap around it. Looked as good or better than the pictures.
1969 Mirafone 186 BBb
1965 Conn 20J
Olds fiberglass Sousaphone Project
Epiphone Thunderbird Bass Guitar
Cremona 3/4 upright bass
andrew the tuba player
3 valves
3 valves

Postby kmorgancraw » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:02 am

A guy I know shipped a tuba with UPS, in the hard case only, zero packaging. By some miracle it was perfectly fine! It's really a roll of the dice.
kmorgancraw
3 valves
3 valves

Postby tofu » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 pm

kmorgancraw wrote:I would have used Greyhound, as I have before, but the guy shipping it to me insisted on FedEx because it is "insured" unlike with Greyhound... And it cost 4x as much.

The demensional weight rules FedX/UPS started a couple years ago really jack up the cost for items in what they deem oversized packages - which is where tubas land a lot.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Postby ckalaher1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:19 am

No way to prove it, it's only conjecture, etc, but I'd guess that 9/10 times that a tuba (or anything else for that matter) is damaged in shipping, it's due to inadequate packaging. Too much single walled cardboard, not enough immobilization of the parcel, peanuts not boxed off within the package, cheap tape (I only use 3M's Extreme shipping tape), etc.

I assume that accidents do happen more frequently with bulk shipping companies like Fed Ex and UPS. I feel more comfortable with companies like Old Dominion.

As a musician, I'm a pretty good bricklayer, but as a shipper, I feel like I'm on pretty solid ground.
ckalaher1
bugler
bugler

Next

Return to TubeNet