Need tuba part for L'Arlésienne #2 Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Need tuba part for L'Arlésienne #2

Postby hup_d_dup » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 am

The first edition of the L'Arlesienne Suite No. 2 does not have a tuba part, but there is a later edition that does. It is not available at IMSLP. I have the last movement (Farandole) but not the first three. If someone has this in pdf form could you please send it to me at kayak@pottersville-nj.us .

I'm also in need of the serpent part (or tuba transcription if it exists) for Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage.

Thanks,
Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Need tuba part for L'Arlésienne #2

Postby scottw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Are you saying that the later edition is Bizet's? Or someone added a tuba part?
Of all the movements, only the Farandole would seem to command a tuba presence --maybe that's all that was written?
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Postby hup_d_dup » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:06 am

scottw wrote:Are you saying that the later edition is Bizet's? Or someone added a tuba part?
Of all the movements, only the Farandole would seem to command a tuba presence --maybe that's all that was written?

I don't actually know anything about the later edition, except that I have a tuba part for Farandole. You could be right; maybe nothing was added for the first three movements.

Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby scottw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 am

That tuba part might also be from a band arrangement. I remember[vaguely!] playing it long ago in a band.
I can find no reference to a "later edition" orchestral version.
Bearin' up!
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Postby cambrook » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm not a Bizet scholar, but I'm not sure there's a later version that's actually by Bizet. I have a copy of a "tuba part" for L'Arlesienne Suite that is hand-written, with only 2 mvts - Carrillion and Farandole. I'm sure its not original and was added by an arranger somewhere along the line, probably because they didn't want to see a tuba player sitting doing nothing (and the double basses weren't being heard)

Interestingly, the Carillion is the 4th mvt of Suite #1, and the Farandole is the 4th mvt of Suite #2. The parts have much more in common with the double bass parts than the trombone writing.
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Postby hup_d_dup » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:25 am

scottw wrote:That tuba part might also be from a band arrangement. I remember[vaguely!] playing it long ago in a band.
I can find no reference to a "later edition" orchestral version.

I have no idea where it came from. Fortunately it is completely compatible with the orchestral edition, including rehearsal marks.

If anyone thinks this part could be useful, I will email it.

Hup
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Return to TubeNet