Wessex Anton

The bulk of the musical talk
DCottrell
bugler
bugler

Wessex Anton

Post by DCottrell »

I'm interested in first hand accounts of this tuba. Have you owned or seriously played one? It fits several criteria I have of configuration, size, key, and price, so I'd like more info before I try to get my hands on one to try out. Thanks for your help
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Wessex Anton

Post by Ken Crawford »

I've owned two rotary valve tubas out of the JinBao factory. I have not played the Anton. But, based on JinBao rotary valves I have played, I would disqualify any of them based solely on the valves and linkage. If you are used to modern European rotaries and linkage, you will be disappointed and constantly annoyed by playing a JinBao rotary instrument.

I am not anti-Chinese tuba, in fact I love some of them. But until JinBao stencils adopt the B&S style "spring guided 3B" Minibal linkages (like Packer and 1 Schiller model) think twice...
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

The Anton has Wessex new Z valves which have proved largely trouble free (I have only heard of one person with valve problems).

Don’t judge a modern Wessex on one made even 2-years ago - we improve quality with every single quarterly visit to factory, so those today are far, far better than those manufactured in the past. Things have particularly moved on in the last year, with new factory management, dedicated Wessex production technicians and the the input from Chuck Nickles as part of the Wessex team. Just check out and you will be surprised. I have a B&S rotary tuba and the rotary valves on the modern Wessex, I find are just as reliable in everyday use.

We still want to make further improvements, but are getting there.
Ulli
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Ulli »

kmorgancraw wrote:I've owned two rotary valve tubas out of the JinBao factory. I have not played the Anton. But, based on JinBao rotary valves I have played, I would disqualify any of them based solely on the valves and linkage. If you are used to modern European rotaries and linkage, you will be disappointed and constantly annoyed by playing a JinBao rotary instrument.
Relating to my 'Mahler' with Z valves: My fully consent.