What's that smell?

The bulk of the musical talk
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: What's that smell?

Post by Wyvern »

Mark Finley wrote:By the way, the repair shop still has my brand new contrabass I bought in August . . I'm hopeful he will put the parts on that you provided and it will be playable, finally. . Thank you for sending them, I'm looking forward to getting to play it
My offer remains to replace that contrabass trombone (with troublesome Hagmann style valves) with one of our new ones with regular rotary valves designed by Chuck Nickles when they come out next year. I am sure Chuck will personally quality assure each one of those at factory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Wyvern wrote:

The smell mentioned seems to be a thing of the past. New environmental and H&S regulations in China mean different glues are being used today.
This is good news.

I will put the vintage funk in a jar and sell it on E-Bay!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Post by Wyvern »

bloke wrote:Thankfully, the cases are not the same.
I see more Jinbao cases (from made ten years ago to one made year ago) that I care to.
Jinbao cases are not Wessex cases. Wessex are Wessex and not Jinbao - no more than JP are the XXX factory (we both know the name) where they are made.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

:cry: No white gloves??
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Jimbo put white gloves in with my laquer tuba...

Maybe THATs where the funk was coming from!!
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

speaking of smell,
I recently received a Wessex Cimbasso which I'm VERY happy with, and when I opened the case this absolutely lovely fragrance came out.
At first I couldn't place it but now I'm convinced; vanilla!

It certainly added to the "brand new instrument" euphoria.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Is this a really evil smell, as in Campaign to Ban Chemical-Emitting Smelly Plastic from China? It isn't new, but I see the 4th item on the list here is a violin case. Thankfully, my only suspected encounter has been sink stoppers, the kind that are combined with a strainer. The only stoppers I can find any more are Chinese, and when new they smell really awful. (When old, they work awful, and the interim period is pretty short.) I normally steer clear of Chinese products.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Donn wrote:Is this a really evil smell, as in Campaign to Ban Chemical-Emitting Smelly Plastic from China? It isn't new, but I see the 4th item on the list here is a violin case.
December 25, 2016

Chinese porcelain vintage jewelry box --- Recently purchased on eBay and it's beautiful......but, it smells so strong and toxic- Very heavy petroleum smell. I'm afraid to touch it or have in the house. Any suggestions ??
Fire!! 8)
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

I think this is my favorite title for a post I've seen.
Bob Kolada
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Bob Kolada »

Bloke, are you going to chop up a 182 for the valveset? :shock:
pjv
4 valves
4 valves

Post by pjv »

I thought the 182 already was a cimbasso!