eastman632

The bulk of the musical talk
BrassyNathan12
bugler
bugler

eastman632

Post by BrassyNathan12 »

Hi all,
i recently had a post about the Eastman 632, and I just bought it! I will pick it up tomorrow in noontime.

However, i need a gig bag...

whats a good gig bag for the Eastman 632 CC tuba under $250 ?
Eastman 836 - AT3U Gold
B&S 5099/2W - Jerome Wiss "G. Capet" Bass Gold
:tuba:
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: eastman632

Post by Ken Crawford »

For under $250, a Wessex bag is probably a good choice.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

For under $250, I agree with the Wessex. If you're willing to spend around 100 more, I am going to recommend an Altieri. I just received my brand new Altieri yesterday and am beyond happy with it. The straps sit lower on the bag than others so it doesn't smack you in the thighs as you walk. The drawstring is a hit or miss. I personally like it, but others don't. As with anything, try and get your hands on a bag to try it out first. I know someone with Altieri, Cronkhite and Miraphone. So I tried all three (just put them on my back and walked around). In my opinion, if you're going to buy a gig bag, buy one that will last. I don't know the Wessex bag durability, but ones I've seen seem like a wonderful inexpensive option that is well made. Hope this helps!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Ken Crawford »

Altieri would probably sell a lot more tuba gig bags if they weren't top loading...It is so clumsy, dangerous and un-intuitive to lift a tuba up out of a bag, partially over your head, while the bag flops over onto the ground. Sillyness.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

My problem is the drawstring that gets caught on everything. And the big goofy pocket on the front. Oh, and the rain cap that nobody ever uses. Plus, they really don't cost much less than other options.

Personally, I've never understood peoples' problems with top-loading bags. But then again, if we all liked the same thing, there would only be 1 style.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

A big reason I ordered Altieri was because I didn't particularly like the bags that sat lower on my back. The drawstring doesn't really bother me either. As for top and side loading, it really is a personal preference, I think. I could have either and be happy. I really think it is a good idea to try before you buy if possible. It's a very personal thing just like one's preferred tuba!
Willson 3200RZ-5
BrassyNathan12
bugler
bugler

Post by BrassyNathan12 »

Wouldn't a toploading bag be bad for the Eastman 632? The valves sticking out ALOT for this horn
Eastman 836 - AT3U Gold
B&S 5099/2W - Jerome Wiss "G. Capet" Bass Gold
:tuba:
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

My VMI is front action and it poses no problem. They put extra reinforcement where the valves go as well. It's not a problem at all! Think about it like this-- if the bag was bad for a certain type of tuba, nobody would buy it!
Willson 3200RZ-5
thejester10276
bugler
bugler

Post by thejester10276 »

My altieri bag works well with the horn, and over time I've grown very comfortable with the top-loading aspect that makes others cringe. Again, this is all personal preferance, but if you don't mind/can get used to a top-loading bag then it's a great bag. Also keep in mind altieris are all made by hand, and it may take several weeks for your bag to be ready if you choose to go that route. Hope that's helpful.