20J-to-24J Kit - Discussion

The bulk of the musical talk
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Re: 20J-to-24J Kit - Discussion

Post by Three Valves »

the elephant wrote:...to make a full and complete conversion from three to four valves.

What say ye?
Not interested!! :tuba:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Are Moosetracks and Maple Walnut made in the same factory??

:roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
pecktime
bugler
bugler

Post by pecktime »

It’s interesting to me!

As to what i’d want: I want a bunch of parts that when i give them and my 20J and some $$$ to the repair guy come out as a great 4 valve horn.
MW 3450, 2011TA HoJo, Conn 20J
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

Would be interesting IF you also figure out a good leadpipe. One that doesn't require a bit, and plays with a little more resistance than a vacuum hose. Would probably start with a smaller bore receiver than stock .590" bore, maybe .575" old King, and be a little longer. you can always take a bite out of MTS if too long.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

TheGoyWonder wrote:Would be interesting IF you also figure out a good leadpipe. One that doesn't require a bit, and plays with a little more resistance than a vacuum hose. Would probably start with a smaller bore receiver than stock .590" bore, maybe .575" old King, and be a little longer. you can always take a bite out of MTS if too long.
The bit is there for more than one reason. Of course, to make the lead pipe long enough to play in tune but, maybe more important for some people, to be able to move the mouthpiece to where it hits the player's mouth right. A 2xJ is a big, heavy mutha of a horn and many have to put it on a Wenger stand or similar. Whatever angle the stand makes the mouthpiece hit the player's lips can be adjusted when using one or two bits. If I was playing a 2xJ at a polka party or some sort of dance, I would want it on a stand rather than hold it up for two hours..
TUbajohn20J
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TUbajohn20J »

If I still had my 20J I would be interested. I wanted to convert mine to 4 valves at one point and I am sure there are others who would want to. I wanted to make mine front action though, but was not opposed to keeping the top action especially if I came across a fully intact 24J valve section ready to be soldered on. This is a good idea to me. Good luck with the project! These big Conn's are my favorite.
Conn 26J/27J
Conn 22K Hybrid
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Post by T. J. Ricer »

Tangentially relevant response:

I own an old 3-valve BBb that is just as (if not more) available in both versions as the 20/24J series. Because this horn has sentimental value to me, I would be much more likely to try and add a valve (or, it sounds like, complete valve section?) to this horn than sell it and buy a four-valve version of the same model.

Short answer: there will surely be someone who wants the kit if you are willing and able to make it. It sounds like you have already determined the parts that need to be included and how much assembly can be done while still having something that can be boxed up. I love the idea of a shippable kit that can be assembled by a competent local tech, but I live on an island, so that is likely of more interest to me than most.

Cheers,
T. J. “I like turtles” Ricer
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon