Thoughts on linkage upgrade

The bulk of the musical talk
jmdavis
lurker
lurker

Thoughts on linkage upgrade

Post by jmdavis »

I have a St. Pete 202N from 2003. It has the ball and socket linkage which works ok, but just doesn't seem terribly responsive and requires the socket set screws to be relatively tight to limit sound.

I am considering an upgrade to a uniball linkage and wondering what the tuba repair professionals think of the idea. I'm coming back to the tuba seriously at this point (weekly lessons with a retired symphonic tubist), consistent practice and goals of community band and brass band when I reach that point.

I can but the upgraded linkages, which do cost more than the DIY, but I'm pretty sure that I can install them myself. That makes the cost a wash vs. less expensive linkage and a repair tech doing the conversion. What I don't have is access to a machine shop or I would try the DIY method.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Thoughts on linkage upgrade

Post by Dan Schultz »

Before you start thinking about new linkage... make sure your horn is squeaky clean on the inside. Rotors that are 'draggy' or slow to respond might just be dirty or too much heavy oil has migrated to the inside of the rotors. Oil all of the mechanical points on the linkage and make sure nothing is binding.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.