Best (see: safest) shipping company

The bulk of the musical talk
HashBrownJM
bugler
bugler

Best (see: safest) shipping company

Post by HashBrownJM »

Well, I might finally have a buyer lined up for my Miraphone 289, all the way up in Portland, Oregon.

I'm doing my homework on the safest way to PACK a horn in a box (this thread has been helpful - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31654" target="_blank), but in reading, I'm getting some pretty mixed messages on what company to use.

Initially, I thought Greyhound would be the safest, but people said if it goes through smaller stations, it can be left unattended, stolen, etc.

So that brings me to this question: Which company is the most reliable/safest? UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.?

If I'm going to ship this horn halfway across the country, I'd like to be able to track it, make sure it gets delivered, etc.
Ken Crawford
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Best (see: safest) shipping company

Post by Ken Crawford »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84269" target="_blank" target="_blank

This horse is dead. Everyone will tell you something different, many threads about it.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

I've shipped through Old Dominion, and was very impressed with their service.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Glad to see Norm Pearson updated the hosting of those great pics after the Photo bucket boondoggle. It's a great resource.

I still think Greyhound is the best choice for shipping horns.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
HashBrownJM
bugler
bugler

Post by HashBrownJM »

Appreciate the help, everyone. My biggest concern with Greyhound is it being unattended, no insurance, etc. It will be going from Austin to Portland, so hopefully through pretty big stations, right?

Also was looking at Greyhound - you have to max out the cost of the item being shipped at $1,000? Is that accurate or am I looking at the wrong page?

To those who have shipped horns before, how much am I looking at total (roughly), for all the bubble wrap, box, peanuts, and actual cost of shipping?

Thank you!
Paul Evans
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Evans »

I am speaking from harsh experience on this one. Do NOT ship via Greyhound unless:

1. You have private insurance on the instrument that covers shipping.
or
2. The value of the instrument is less than $1000.
or
3. You are willing to eat the loss if the instrument is misplaced or stolen.

I took a chance several years ago and lost.
HashBrownJM
bugler
bugler

Post by HashBrownJM »

Got it. That's what I was worried about.
HashBrownJM
bugler
bugler

Post by HashBrownJM »

ckalaher1 wrote:I've shipped through Old Dominion, and was very impressed with their service.
How much did you pay through Old Dominion? The (rough) estimate I'm getting at 65 pounds, from Austin to Portland, is just over $400. Is that in the ballpark or am I looking at something way too expensive?
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TheGoyWonder »

For mission-critical shipping, why not put it on a pallet and put it on a load board like uShip. There has to be some LTL trucker on the right route can pick it up for easy $$$.

Greyhound Portland is no bueno! I had a package sit there for 5 days before going to final destination one town over. Had to call and talk to idiot after idiot to rescue it.
HashBrownJM
bugler
bugler

Post by HashBrownJM »

TheGoyWonder wrote:For mission-critical shipping, why not put it on a pallet and put it on a load board like uShip. There has to be some LTL trucker on the right route can pick it up for easy $$$.

Greyhound Portland is no bueno! I had a package sit there for 5 days before going to final destination one town over. Had to call and talk to idiot after idiot to rescue it.
I wouldn't say it is mission critical right now. I would love to have it there in a timely fashion once it is picked up, but I'm not on any hard deadlines for a performance.

I just want it there safely and cheaply. As for a pallet, never done that, no experience with it. How do you go about it?
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

HashBrownJM wrote:
ckalaher1 wrote:I've shipped through Old Dominion, and was very impressed with their service.
How much did you pay through Old Dominion? The (rough) estimate I'm getting at 65 pounds, from Austin to Portland, is just over $400. Is that in the ballpark or am I looking at something way too expensive?
I think I've paid around $300 for FedEx or UPS to go coast-to-coast. When properly packaged, I have had no trouble whatsoever with both services.
HashBrownJM
bugler
bugler

Post by HashBrownJM »

lost wrote:
HashBrownJM wrote: I just want it there safely and cheaply. As for a pallet, never done that, no experience with it. How do you go about it?
Google is a great resource to find out about shipping companies. Go to uship and find out how it works. This topic has been reported and discussed extensively with the overall consensus is you are always taking a gamble with any shipping company, and the only safe way is to drive and get it, or meet someone halfway.
Yeah, I checked it out. It ended up pulling up Old Dominion as an option (4.9 out of 5 rating) and the cheapest option was UPS Freight. At this point, because of the insurance option, I think ODFL is how I'm going to go.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

I use Greyhound, BUT AmTrack is another option....
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Post by MaryAnn »

You will find success and horror stories with every company. I received a tuba from Dillon via Old Dominion, on a pallet, and no problem. I received a tuba from a person, in a box via Fed Ex, and no problem. The one tuba i received (there have not been a lot of them) that had a big dent in the bottom bow appeared to have been packed by a five year old. It was thrown in a box with some loose cardboard, no concept whatsoEVER about protecting it via proper packaging. When I sent it back (from AZ to FL) they offered me a job doing packing. I told them they could not afford me. One local family used uShip or whatever it is for family heirlooms and they were destroyed. uShip is a bunch of individuals and you do not get to choose whether an artiste or a baboon gets the job.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

HashBrownJM wrote:
I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but I believe it was in the ballpark of $350, which included insurance.
HashBrownJM
bugler
bugler

Post by HashBrownJM »

Thank you! That seems reasonable.