New York Philharmonic TUBA

The bulk of the musical talk
besson900
bugler
bugler

New York Philharmonic TUBA

Post by besson900 »

Hi Guys!

I saw this old video on YT when NYP played Fanfare for the Common Man, and there is a tuba player but i dont know who's this guy(i wasnt born that time :D )

Do You know who is that guy and what tuba is that? For me it's looks like York but im not sure

Here You've got link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLMVB0B1_Ts" target="_blank
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Re: New York Philharmonic TUBA

Post by cambrook »

Read the comments under the YT clip
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

cambrook wrote:Read the comments under the YT clip
Tedious! Some actually hilarious.
Short answer: Warren Deck, who was forced to stop playing due to focal dystonia. Sad. :(
Bearin' up!
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

Not the 2165, as per YT comments. Yorkbrunner with a MW bell.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

It's pretty amazing how much gravitational pull occurs when you hear a Warren Deck recording for the first time. It's a terrific thing to "discover" players who you really enjoy listening to.

Find as much stuff as you can and enjoy.
besson900
bugler
bugler

Post by besson900 »

Thanks for answer guys!
What do You think about Warren can we compare him to Gene Pokorny or Chris Olka?I'm asking because I think he sounds better than Gene in section, I know that it should be other topic for that but what do You think about his playing?
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

the elephant wrote:source for half of the collection of excerpt files known as the "Deck Special" that have been floating around, as recorded by our own "Doc")
Pretty sure all those recordings were from the 1980 ITEC held at NTSU (I was there). Warren played with the Houston section.
TheHatTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TheHatTuba »

UncleBeer wrote:Pretty sure all those recordings were from the 1980 ITEC held at NTSU (I was there). Warren played with the Houston section.
Mr. Deck used a Holton CC for all of those clips, no?
Last edited by TheHatTuba on Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

besson900 wrote:Thanks for answer guys!
What do You think about Warren can we compare him to Gene Pokorny or Chris Olka?I'm asking because I think he sounds better than Gene in section, I know that it should be other topic for that but what do You think about his playing?
Mr. Deck was an amazing player during his time. He had a massive sound with a very strong compact center to it. I still remember the live concerts on TV with the NY Phil during Deck's last years. I believe he was with the NY Phil from 1980 - 2001ish. At about the same time (around 2001) Chester Schmitz retired from the Boston Symphony/Pops. He was another one of my favorites.

I have multiple recordings from the Deck/NY Phil years, including some from his first full year (Mahler 1, and Symphonie Fantastique - both recorded in 1980). Great recordings. :!: Anyone know what tubas he was using very early on, even before the Geib-Franken-Conn CC :?:
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

toobagrowl wrote:
besson900 wrote:Thanks for answer guys!
Mr. Deck was an amazing player during his time. He had a massive sound with a very strong compact center to it. I still remember the live concerts on TV with the NY Phil during Deck's last years. I believe he was with the NY Phil from 1980 - 2001ish. At about the same time (around 2001) Chester Schmitz retired from the Boston Symphony/Pops. He was another one of my favorites.

I have multiple recordings from the Deck/NY Phil years, including some from his first full year (Mahler 1, and Symphonie Fantastique - both recorded in 1980). Great recordings. :!: Anyone know what tubas he was using very early on, even before the Geib-Franken-Conn CC :?:
At the time he performed at the NTSU Tuba Symposium with the Houston Trombone Section, he was using a Holton he purchased from Bill Rose, his predecessor in Houston.
Andy
southtubist
bugler
bugler

Post by southtubist »

Mr. Deck has to have been one of the greatest brass players ever. He also happens to be a great teacher. The "Deck Special" recordings should be listened to daily by any serious tubist.
MW 45k
Alexander 163CC 5v
Conn 72h, 1G
King 2280
Used to own: MW20 BBb(super old model) 1915 Conn Grand Orchestral BBb, small valve MW 2145
Used to borrow: Miraphone 190 CC, from IAA
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

toobagrowl wrote:Anyone know what tubas he was using very early on, even before the Geib-Franken-Conn CC :?:
I believe he won Houston on a Meinl Weston 32, and also used that tuba (as one of several) for the NYPO audition.
MikeMilnarik
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeMilnarik »

Haha! That's GOD. Known to us mere mortals as Warren Deck. GREAT guy and AWESOME tuba player. 'nough said.

Mike Milnarik
http://www.milnarik.com

INNOVATA
COSMOPOLITAN TUBA QUARTET
MMI - TUBA EUPHONIUM ACADEMY
TUBASTUDIO.com

Tufts University & Milnarik Music Initiative