Martin Mammoth: Upright bell

The bulk of the musical talk
Pneumatic Subwoofer
lurker
lurker

Martin Mammoth: Upright bell

Post by Pneumatic Subwoofer »

If I can't locate an original (I've also posted in the WTB section) does/would/could anyone make a replacement?
Martin Mammoth. Think of it as the Vincent Black Shadow of tubas.
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Martin Mammoth: Upright bell

Post by Sousaswag »

I'm fairly certain Wessex can supply a replacement. I believe the bell they made with their BBb XL tuba will fit on the Mammoth. I could be wrong, though. Shoot Jonathan an email! I'm positive he would be able to tell you for certain!
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Paul Scott
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Paul Scott »

Hi All,

I've tried 5 upright bells on my Martins and I'll give my impressions.

Original Martin bell: OK, but the metal is light. 20" diameter.

Kanstul bell: considerably shorter than the original, it can help if your horn is a bit flat. It gives more of a CC quality. Don't know if their current bells are as good as they were. Slightly larger diameter.

Wessex bell: I obtained a gold brass version about a year ago. Length is slightly greater than the original, but for some reason this bell feels very top-heavy to me. Came with a cool bag though. Darker sound than the Kanstul or original Martin. Larger diameter than the original.

Fafner bell: A few years back Martin Wilk suggested adapting a Fafner bell for the Martin, (Martin W. has an uncanny ability to see these kinds of possibilities). While expensive, this bell finally gave me what I was looking for. Absolutely stellar construction and a balanced sound/tone. Just a shade longer than the original and a very slightly larger diameter than 20". My personal favorite and aesthetically the combination looks like it was meant to be.

York: I had a York detachable adapted to a Martin tenon and although I seldom use it (it's a bit heavy), it has quite a nice dark character. Since it had to be cut I was able to send a metal sample out for analysis. Turns out it's 80/20 (copper/zinc) just like Martin Band used.

A side note. I'm quite sure that Martin designed their detachables (not deplorables) very specifically for either an upright or recording bell. I seem to recall that Ray Noguera, (whom I respect as an authority on Martins) once mentioned that it was difficult to buy an upright bell separately from the Martin factory back in the day. They did not market them as an "add on" for recording bell horns. I mention this because Martin recording bells play considerably flatter than the uprights, so you may need to modify your slides if your horn wasn't built specifically for the bell that you're using.

As I sit in my basement I am literally surrounded by Martins so I have some experience with them! Best wishes in your quest for an upright!
Adjunct Tuba Professor
William Paterson University
Wayne, NJ
Pneumatic Subwoofer
lurker
lurker

Post by Pneumatic Subwoofer »

Thanks to all.
Martin Mammoth. Think of it as the Vincent Black Shadow of tubas.
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Post by humBell »

Thanks Paul Scott for the excellent write up!

Recent Martin sousa experiences have left a favorable impression on me, and i may eventually embark on a similar quest...
Thanks for playing!
sweaty
bugler
bugler

Post by sweaty »

I just got a forward-facing bell from a Wessex XL for my Martin Mammoth (I already had an upright bell). It fits perfectly!

I am very pleased that I have both bells now. The direction of the sound makes a huge difference in whether you can be heard or not.