Leningrad helcon

The bulk of the musical talk
Gus_Pratt
bugler
bugler

Leningrad helcon

Post by Gus_Pratt »

Well I decided to take a chance and bought this helicon, which is currently on its way to me. After researching, I discovered that the Leningrad company was the same as St. Petersburg before it was privatized after the fall of the Soviet Union. Does anyone have any experience with Leningrad instruments that were built prior to it becoming St. Petersburg? Before buying this helicon, I bought a small item from this seller and received it with no difficulty, so I know the seller is legit, and it appears that it was accepted by the Ukraine post office for shipping to me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-USSR-B ... 2749.l2649" target="_blank
BopEuph
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Leningrad helcon

Post by BopEuph »

Price:US $300.00
:shock:

Even if this is a poor player, I think you still got a deal!
Nick
imperialbari
6 valves
6 valves

Post by imperialbari »

You may have to work on the rotors and their bearings, maybe even have the rotors plated and a re-honing done. Also the transmission may need an upgrade.

But this design was used by the USSR army bands. You may like the style of those bands or not (I found their music for the opening of the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games too opulent in a boring way), but the players were OK and the intonation wasn’t bad.

The wide bell and the wide bell throat of this one maybe invites more to an emulation of a sandstorm in Sahara than to ballerina-style tip-toeing. But then there also is a market for that geographically meteorological way of playing. (We have one of the quite rare storms from the North right now while I write).

Klaus
marccromme
3 valves
3 valves

Post by marccromme »

The older USSR tubas I have seen have all been nickel plated, not silver plated. I would check with the seller before engaging in a buy, because nickel may cause allergic reactions, which often will last the rest of your life.
I did turn down a miraphone euph for the same reason ... but better be safe than sorry. Marc
Yamaha YEB-321 Eb 4v TA tuba
Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb 5v FA tuba
Hirsbrunner Bb 3v TA compensated euph
Wessex Dolce Bb 3+1v TA compensated euph
Alto/tenor/bass trombones in various sizes/plugs
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

BopEuph wrote:
Price:US $300.00
:shock:

Even if this is a poor player, I think you still got a deal!
Plus $140 shipping. $440 is still a bargain. Hope they pack it so it doesn't get squished.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

Gus_Pratt wrote:Well I decided to take a chance and bought this helicon, which is currently on its way to me. After researching, I discovered that the Leningrad company was the same as St. Petersburg before it was privatized after the fall of the Soviet Union. Does anyone have any experience with Leningrad instruments that were built prior to it becoming St. Petersburg? Before buying this helicon, I bought a small item from this seller and received it with no difficulty, so I know the seller is legit, and it appears that it was accepted by the Ukraine post office for shipping to me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-USSR-B ... 2749.l2649" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
I bought a Ukrainian copy of this (Radioaperatur I think) from this same seller and I LOVE it. "Copy" may not be the correct descriptor because the Soviets developed (or borrowed) designs and then distributed them throughout their empire (think Lada/Fiat 128).

In my experience the seller is A+

Mine is mostly raw (nee lacquered) brass. Its playing characteristics are reminiscent of my York Monster Eb tubas. For me that is a good thing as I had been looking for a contrabass tuba that was similar. Some intonation quirks but a really great, open voice.

Have the probably sloppy linkages and valve pivots repaired and enjoy!

Another bargain, fun helicon from them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372119270785

My Ukrainian version, a "before" photo:
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

A video featuring a nickel plated version of your helicon. Wolfgang told me that his is unmarked and that he bought it in a junk shop in Germany. I think that it is likely Ukrainian (or some other Soviet satellite?). There are overdubs in this video but generally the contrabass part sounds to me like the helicon.
https://youtu.be/9yilOvZyPXk
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.