How much did that cost ?!?

The bulk of the musical talk
clagar777
3 valves
3 valves

How much did that cost ?!?

Post by clagar777 »

What does everyone think about Monette tuba mouthpieces? Are they worth the price? Anyone use one all the time?...if so, what do you use it on? Im not planning on buying one (happy with the PT-50), but I was just wondering...
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

very expensive. no different than any other mouthpiece besides price and marketing
sean chisham
Allen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Allen »

An excellent tubist I know has a Monette MP. He got it used at a low price, and likes it. He says, however, that its most important advantage is that when you throw it at a conductor it makes a better statement than throwing a lighter mouthpiece.

A.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: I love it

Post by WoodSheddin »

[quote="banihex]I understand the idea of 'not liking' a mouthpiece, but I don't understand why some people are so against Monette!

As for the price, yes it's expensive. But if this is your profession then it is an investment. For me, it was either a mp or my high school class ring. haha i hate that school, so i obviously took the mp.[/quote]

It is the price which is objectionable. The mouthpiece itself is just like any other mouthpiece out there as far as functionality. You plug it in the horn and buzz into it.
sean chisham
porkchopsisgood
pro musician
pro musician

Post by porkchopsisgood »

You're playing the John Williams on a 5/4 CC?

Whoa.

I've played around with it on the CC, but I am so glad I have an F to play it on now....definitely made those two octave arpeggios in the third movement more accessible. But I've always been a firm believer in being able to play everything on either instrument. The F just seems more in character (and that's what Williams wrote it for anyway...).

Good luck and enjoy!!
Allen V. Carter
Eastman 836
MW 2145
MW 45SLZ
XO Bass Bone

TheChiefofStaph
bugler
bugler

Post by TheChiefofStaph »

bloke wrote:It's interesting (as far as trumpets go - the largest single market of most brass instrument/accessory manufacturers) to note what type of folks (as far as they're actual ability and level of success) often acquire sextuple-priced and septuple-priced equipment... :roll:
Wynton sure didn't start on one...
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

TheChiefofStaph wrote:
bloke wrote:It's interesting (as far as trumpets go - the largest single market of most brass instrument/accessory manufacturers) to note what type of folks (as far as they're actual ability and level of success) often acquire sextuple-priced and septuple-priced equipment... :roll:
Wynton sure didn't start on one...
But he rather play on one. Dave Monette's stuff are expensive, most beginners don't play on one, heck, most people can't afford one. But that doesn't mean him charging for the time he put into his work aint worth it, ya? Like Sean said, it's a mouthpiece, and if it plays good enough for me, maybe I'll consider buy one. Obviously Dave Monette is doing pretty well with his business and more trumpet players are starting to play his stuff than ever, but it is still not as widespread as Bach, Yamaha, and not as cheap as them, probably wont ever be.

added:
If you are curious, why not find out yourself? Order one from one of the dealers that will allow a return, and play it for a week see for yourself.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Hey,
I have a 98 (that the Army bought me, ha ha, your tax dollars at work!) and I've been using it on my Indiana Band Instruments (Martin) sousaphone and it seems to get a pretty good sound!
It's funny that the MPC was $350 and I bought the Sousa for $650
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rock on,
Bill
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
adam0408
3 valves
3 valves

Post by adam0408 »

tubafreaks7 wrote:Do you remember the post about Kelly plastic mouthpieces? Some of the guys could not tell a difference between a Helleberg and a Kellyberg.I cant either.If I can buy a fifteen dollar Chinese made Bach clone that has the right blend of cup depth,width,rim size and throat size, and it plays well, then I'd buy it. I don't think it matters.It's just another way for someone to make money.
That is an excellent way to look at mouthpiece selection. The mouthpieces I have purchased have been on the pricey side, but only because I REALLY like them. Perception is HUGE. No matter how much you practice, you cannot overcome the element of your mind. However, the best thing that you can do is just buy some combination of horn and mouthpiece that works for you in your situation, wether or not your mind is involved a lot in the choice.

My point: Although the diffrerence between a heavy piece vs. normal may be nothing according to physics, or stainless vs. brass, or whatever vs. monkey butt, it doesnt matter. If you sound better on it than any other piece you have played, you NEED it regardless of what it is making the difference, mind or matter.

Thats my opinion.
punk_tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by punk_tuba »

That is an excellent way to look at mouthpiece selection. The mouthpieces I have purchased have been on the pricey side, but only because I REALLY like them. Perception is HUGE. No matter how much you practice, you cannot overcome the element of your mind. However, the best thing that you can do is just buy some combination of horn and mouthpiece that works for you in your situation, wether or not your mind is involved a lot in the choice.

so true............mind is everything
and mind is a terrible thing to waste
Billy M.
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Billy M. »

I have been playing on Monettes now for some time, and I have to say I do believe after doing the mouthpiece 'cha-cha' (in other words the search for the perfect mouthpiece [never gonna find it]) these mouthpieces are a new state of the art.

Finding a used one seems to be kinda scarce and I think the reason being that people who buy 'em love 'em. I know I do and couldn't be sold on something else now unless Monette himself had come out with something that would surpass this equipment. They are by far the best mouthpieces I've ever used.

My only disclaimer is that you are not me. Your results may and more than likely will vary. If you are interested, I suggest checking 'em out for yourself. Bring a tape recorder and see what you think.
Romans 3:23-24

Billy Morris
Rudolf Meinl Model 45, Musikmesse Horn
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb (19" Bell)
1968 Besson New Standard Eb (15" Bell)
TheChiefofStaph
bugler
bugler

Post by TheChiefofStaph »

banihex wrote:I don't think Monette mps are like any other mouthpiece at all. I felt my PT88 was way too taxing in the high register for me. The Monette feels great in all areas for me.

`Adios
Having never played on a Monette, I can't speak to their quality. I can, however, say that your high register would improve on practically ANY mouthpiece over a PT 88 just because it's such a big honkin' mouthpiece.
tubacdk
pro musician
pro musician

monette

Post by tubacdk »

I try and let others decide my mpcs for me. I happened to have a Monette 94 sitting on a shelf and asked someone if I could swap that 94 for a 94F. they went for it and I tried out the 94F on my B&S. I had my wife listen to me play the 94F back to back with my old Miraphone C4. She said instantly that the 94F had a more focused and fuller sound, with clearer articulations. I took it to my quintet gig the next day and their response was the same. it was an instant improvement in my product, so I kept it. I've tried the 94 and 98 on my CC tubas and they just don't seem to match my equipment as well as other things (Dillon G3 on my RM-43 and Marc N2 on my rotary MW 2155). But the 94F is thus far the best match for me & my B&S.

-ck
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Post by TexTuba »

I wanna touch on what Bill said about the government buying the mouthpiece. I remember my teacher saying that he had a student who was a military musician and had every trombone mouthpiece Schilke made. So my question is how much do you think the government SPENDS on all of their musicians' equipment? Horns, mouthpieces, everything. Anybody got a figure?

Ralph
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

So my question is how much do you think the government SPENDS on all of their musicians' equipment? Horns, mouthpieces, everything. Anybody got a figure?
It's different from band to band, from section to section and from person to person.
For Example:
2 1/2 years at Ft. McPherson I got a Curry 126DH and a Mike Finn 3H
1 year in Korea and I got
GW BOra
Williwa
Bayamo
Mantuska
taku
Monette 98
Kelleberg
2 MPC rolls
etc....
go figure. In both bands no tubas were purchased while I was there, but both said that they would be soon and I made recommendations for both (which I'm sure were thrown out the day I left :wink: )
Cool,
Bill "Former Army Bandsman" Pritchard
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Chen
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Chen »

I'd rather he played on a Bach Strad-type instrument. I think he sounds the best on his first album, where he plays the Haydn trumpet concerto on a Schilke Eb. There, his sound is rich and colorful, not too dark and not too bright. But now, I think his sound is just dull and boring (some might call it "dark).

And as for it being so expensive because they are hand-made, the Hand-Made Schilke Symphony Series mouthpieces are considerably less.
$250 for the Monette
$110 for the Schilke[/quote]

I have heard Wynton play a couple of times, and I have to (respectfully) disagree with you. I happen to consider his sound to be "the" trumpet sound.

As for price, for $195 you can buy a standard Monette trumpet mouthpiece, but the new Prana stuff is much more.