Mouthpiece Case

The bulk of the musical talk
Mark

Mouthpiece Case

Post by Mark »

I have an old Rocky Mountain Cases mouthpiece case. I really like this case. I can toss it in my gear bag and know the mouthpiece is not going to be damaged. However, this case is probably 15-years-old and it needs replacing. As far as I know, Rocky Mountain Case went out of business several years ago. Any suggestions for a replacement case?
ronr
bugler
bugler

Re: Mouthpiece Case

Post by ronr »

Cronkhite used to make a very nice mouthpiece case. You could check with Torpedo bags and see if they are continuing to do so.
hubert
3 valves
3 valves

Post by hubert »

Werner Schmidt - Markneukirchen.
Hubert
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The Cronkhite pouch that I have isn't great. There's nothing wrong with it, but it is just a simple piece of leather with a zipper. Not a lot of protection. Am I missing something?
Rebel
bugler
bugler

Post by Rebel »

I found a simple solution. I use a zippered "huggie" for a beer bottle. Works great!!
1990 Yamaha YBB-631 4/4 BBb Compensating Tuba
1995 Yamaha YEP-201 Euphonium
Conn 605 Trombone
Fretted and Fretless 5 String Electric Bass
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

The Milnarik pouches are excellent -- thick and heavy padding. I have used one for many years, but like the Rocky cases, I don't think they are made anymore.
haybied
lurker
lurker

Post by haybied »

I use the protec three mouthpiece pouch, which I fit a bottle of valve oil in and hold my tuner in the back.
https://www.wwbw.com/Protec-3-Piece-Tub ... ce&index=3" target="_blank
Hayden Biedenharn, BME '18
The Ohio State University

Miraphone 1291 CC
Miraphone 1281 F "Petruschka"

Dublin Silver Band
Yamaha YEB-632IIS Neo
Sousaswag
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Sousaswag »

I use the G&W mouthpiece pouch I got from.. WWBW I believe. It's really nice and fits in any gig bag or hard case.
Meinl Weston 5450RA Tuono
Willson 3200RZ-5
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:I am semi-paranoid about doing something really stupid related to the logistics of a gig.
"Doing something really stupid" would include "forgetting my mouthpiece".
I am very paranoid. That is why I leave my mouthpiece in my gear bag and have a second, identical, mouthpiece in my studio for practice. I also keep my music in the bag and practice using copies. Once burned...
Mark

Post by Mark »

haybied wrote:I use the protec three mouthpiece pouch, which I fit a bottle of valve oil in and hold my tuner in the back.
https://www.wwbw.com/Protec-3-Piece-Tub ... ce&index=3" target="_blank" target="_blank
I have ordered the two mouthpiece version. I'll see how it works.
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Post by ken k »

cavallaro , nylon outside, soft "fur-like" lining and zippered, holds 2.

very luxurious pouch.

available at Dillons

for 20 plus years I used a little fleece pouch my daughter made for me for fathers day, still use it.
ken k
Yamaha YEB-381
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
Black plastic Coolwind BBb tuba
2001 Mazda Miata
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:I am semi-paranoid about doing something really stupid related to the logistics of a gig.
"Doing something really stupid" would include "forgetting my mouthpiece".
Therefore, I ~usually~ leave my mouthpiece in my instrument, and slip it back into the bag that way.
That wouldn't work with my tuba, the mouthpiece can cause more damage to the tuba than anything that's likely to happen to the mouthpiece carried separately. (Heavy bell front tuba, I've had one leadpipe/receiver injury already in two years and have learned to immediately remove the mouthpiece when not in use.) And if that doesn't happen, the mouthpiece will fall out of the receiver at the least opportune moment, with consequences including damage to mouthpiece, damage to horn, and not coming along to the gig.

Therefore, I am looking for a good way to attach the mouthpiece to my person. Some kind of "pendant" setup, for example. To be worn all times, doubling as practical and ornamental.
pwhitaker
3 valves
3 valves

Post by pwhitaker »

I have a medium size canvas bag in which I carry 6-8 mouthpieces in various pouches I've garnered over the years, a couple of valve oils, slide grease, small towels for collecting water key droppings, a roll of paper towels, teeth cleaning gear, and a tuba stand when I'm not using the sousaphone.
MISERICORDE, n.
A dagger which in mediaeval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal.
- Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce
swillafew
5 valves
5 valves

Post by swillafew »

I am very paranoid.
Extra mouthpieces are something I love to keep in the car. Plastic ones are ideal for a little buzzing along with the radio. They also lower my blood pressure considerably knowing that I can see a spare in the drink holder.
MORE AIR
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

bloke wrote:the blokepiece-Holding Necklace™...??
I guess blokepieces must be pre-drilled to hook that thing up. I was thinking of something a little more generically adaptable, without modification to the mouthpiece.
pwhitaker
3 valves
3 valves

Post by pwhitaker »

Suitable for a tuba gig in Los Vegas ....
MISERICORDE, n.
A dagger which in mediaeval warfare was used by the foot soldier to remind an unhorsed knight that he was mortal.
- Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Donn wrote:
bloke wrote:the blokepiece-Holding Necklace™...??
I guess blokepieces must be pre-drilled to hook that thing up. I was thinking of something a little more generically adaptable, without modification to the mouthpiece.
You are wearing it upside down.

:roll:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
cambrook
pro musician
pro musician

Post by cambrook »

My favourite mp pouches were from Mike Milnarik - he used to have single and double pouches.

I wish they were still available!
Mark

Post by Mark »

bloke wrote:...only $800...Order yours TODAY.
Does that include shipping? Can I get a second one free just by paying an additional processing fee of $800?
Mark

Re: Mouthpiece Case (Rocky Mountain)

Post by Mark »

I'm reviving this thread. The old Rocky Mountain Mouthpiece cases are still, and by far, the best mouthpiece cases I have ever seen. For awhile after Rocky Mountain went out of business, Monette was selling these cases. Monette no longer has any.

At this point, I would seriously consider taking over the manufacturing of these cases if I knew who I could talk to from the Rocky Mountain. But, I can't find any trace of them.