Shipping a used tuba to Canada? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Shipping a used tuba to Canada?

Postby Art Hovey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 pm

I might want to ship a tuba from Connecticut to Vancouver.
Is there anything I need to know? (Taxes, import duties. tariffs, red tape, etc.)
Art Hovey
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Shipping a used tuba to Canada?

Postby bloke » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:47 pm

I'd be extremely tempted to only offer to GPX the thing to Seattle, have them have a friend pick it up there, and let THEM worry about how to schlep it across the border.

Trucking tubas across the border to Canada is a TRUE pita.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby PMeuph » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:25 pm

bloke wrote:I'd be extremely tempted to only offer to GPX the thing to Seattle, have them have a friend pick it up there, and let THEM worry about how to schlep it across the border.

Bellingham, WA

Otherwise, +1.

Points to consider:

No duty on tubas but the buyer will have to pay sales taxes for the province (12%) plus a customs processing fee. (Depends on the carrier, but minimum 9.95 and some carriers add increments, UPS is the worst)

The horn could be unpacked and repacked at the border, so no matter how good a job you do, your buyer is still taking a risk.

If the buyer doesn't want the GPX service, there is always the option to ship it to a border mail depot (I.e. like a ups store) that charges a little fee to receive the package. Then the buyer can pick it up from there and cross the border himself without putting his instrument at the mercy of customs agents.
Yamaha YEP-642s
Boosey & Hawkes 19" Bell Imperial EEb
PMeuph
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bisontuba » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:07 pm

bloke wrote:I'd be extremely tempted to only offer to GPX the thing to Seattle, have them have a friend pick it up there, and let THEM worry about how to schlep it across the border.

Agree 100%
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:15 pm

I simply refuse to allow the money to tempt me into shipping or delivering anything at all that is more than a few minutes effort on my part. Shipping tubas (or even carrying your own) across international borders can be a PITA at a minimum, and completely not worth the effort at worse. I agree with the idea of shipping to Bellingham and allowing the buyer to cope with the garbage. After all, it is he who wants to buy this tuba from a foreign country, so let him assume the responsibility for getting it into his country. You are just selling it. You're not a shipping agent.

Sell it for a flat fee that includes the shipping (via whatever means you trust) to WA, and when he picks it up it becomes his tuba and his responsibility. He can get it home from there, I assure you. People who live up there are used to dealing with this when purchasing anything from the US directly; it is a fact of life up there. That is why he is hoping *you* will do it — because all the options suck.
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby TheGoyWonder » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:20 pm

Have a total junk tuba in a case when you cross the border.
Buy new tuba.
Throw junk tuba into the lake and put new tuba in the case.
One tuba in, one tuba out - mounties totally fooled!
TheGoyWonder
3 valves
3 valves

Postby the elephant » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:32 pm

This used to be a way to go to Europe and buy a tuba at the factory. It is too expensive to do this nowadays...
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:35 pm

When a buyer agrees to GPX (which offers the least chance of damage of any domestic shipper, but no insurance), I typically have them send me an email that states,

"Once GPX takes possession of the merchandise, it becomes the property and sole responsibility of the buyer."
bloke

Postby the elephant » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:53 pm

bloke wrote:When a buyer agrees to GPX (which offers the least chance of damage of any domestic shipper, but no insurance), I typically have them send me an email that states,

"Once GPX takes possession of the merchandise, it becomes the property and sole responsibility of the buyer."

Like.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:36 pm

a) I don't know what GPX is.

b) there is a real possibility that I will be moving lock stock and instruments to Canada within the next year. I have been wondering about the instrument part....quite a few quite valuable instruments. Fortunately not a grand piano. Tuba is the biggest but not the most expensive. I don't even know where to start on how to do that.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby bloke » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:56 pm

the elephant wrote:
bloke wrote:When a buyer agrees to GPX (which offers the least chance of damage of any domestic shipper, but no insurance), I typically have them send me an email that states,

Like.

A few months ago, GPX was idiotically slow shipping a tuba to a buyer.
Having agreed to this, it was "theirs", and I didn't catch any grief from the buyer.
HOWEVER, that did not stop me from doing everything in my power to get that tuba farther on it's way to them...INCLUDING contacting the CEO and other top officers of Greyhound. (A friend of mine is a neighbor of the CEO.)
bloke

Postby roweenie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 pm

MaryAnn wrote:a) I don't know what GPX is.

"GPX" is Greyhound's acronym for "Greyhound Package Express".
Trying to take life one day at a time
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 pm

So it's definitely not Grand Prix Express.
MaryAnn

Postby bisontuba » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Living so close to Canada, I have driven across the border to ship items from Niagara Falls Ontario Greyhound to other parts of Canada. Unless you can drive the item over and ship it yourself from a Canadian Greyhound station, I highly recommend just shipping in the States and let the Canadian individual come over to pick up the horn....
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby winston » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm

Get the buyer to pick it up from Greyhound shipping somewhere in Washington state. (Bellingham?)
Winston Hind
The Naden Band of the Royal Canadian Navy
winston
pro musician
pro musician

Postby roweenie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:57 pm

MaryAnn wrote:So it's definitely not Grand Prix Express.

:mrgreen: :tuba:
Trying to take life one day at a time
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Three Valves » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm

I thought NAFTA was suppose to fix all this... :tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
Mackbrunner 210L
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby tmmcas1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:09 pm

b) there is a real possibility that I will be moving lock stock and instruments to Canada within the next year. I have been wondering about the instrument part....quite a few quite valuable instruments. Fortunately not a grand piano. Tuba is the biggest but not the most expensive. I don't even know where to start on how to do that.[/quote]

Mary Ann,

Feel free to PM me if you do head north. Having made the move just over a year ago I can offer some advice. Tubas are less of a pain than moving cars across the border!

Tom
Tom McCaslin
Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
Yamaha Performing Artist
Denis Wick/DANSR Artist
http://www.tommccaslin.com
http://www.calgaryphil.com
tmmcas1
pro musician
pro musician

Return to TubeNet