TNFJ Opinion Time Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: TNFJ Opinion Time

Postby the elephant » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:58 pm

iiipopes wrote:Oh, God, I hate to admit this, but the newer 186's with the "vanilla" toned 17 3/4 inch bell comes the closest to my ears to the detachable bell Kings I played in high school.

Oh, Lord, forgive my heresy....

Like.

But is that a good or a bad thing, in your opinion, and why?
In the multiverse there is a TubeNet where we talk about how we greased our cat with toothpaste and hot sauce so it would fly better in the rain. Even then someone would ask whether the cat was lacquered or silver plated.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bloke » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 am

yesterday afternoon - new assistant band director (tuba player) at a large high school with a large band program...upon me returning the last few of their dozen ("very varied") rotary "concert" tubas from being repaired and cleaned:

with eyes lit up:
Wow! One of them is one of those GDR Bb's with a kranz.

' funny how those almost always play so very well and so very easily...even in the extreme ranges...and even with half-century-old never-rebuilt valves.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby EdFirth » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:13 pm

I've owned four of these since 1982 and used them for most of the work I did, although I did own a lot of other horns I've always come back to the Kings. To me, they don't sound like any rotary horn I've heard or played. And I own and use a rotary King sometimes. The rotary horns, to me, have a smoother sound where the piston Kings have more "turbulence". But I am able to blend with whatever else is on the job. I got to hear just about everyone at the "Rat" play on my various Kings and was always gassed with the sound. And when they went back on their B S 101's, or Meinl Weston 20's, Mirafone 186's, or Cervenys it was great but, to my ears, quite different. I used them in bands, orchestras, quintet, polka bands,the Rat tuba quartet, and a boatload of Dixieland jobs as well as Ray Charles and the Moody Blues and people always dug the sound. All that being said, there are other horns that I find are less work to play but I'm in it for the sound and those Kings make the sound that's in my head. FWIW, Ed
The Singing Whale
EdFirth
3 valves
3 valves

Previous

Return to TubeNet